May 3, 2012
Cumbria
This one's not what it used to be.

attachment.php
Where on earth could it be?!:)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Slightly off topic but pub-related, in recent years the lack of pool tables in pubs has been really noticeable.
Not massively into playing it, so doesn’t really impact me, but if someone asked me to name 5 pubs to play pool, I’d have to give it serious thought.

We’ve only got one snooker club now too (Castle St?).. I think.
Dart boards are harder to find now as well. And as for pottering around Shoreham playing bar-billiards in about three different pubs....

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The Greys and The Geese are still great pubs. I particularly like The Greys- still has music, and very good beers.
That’s good to know - thanks!

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Used to like The Lamb in Lewes, until it got done up a few years ago and became overpriced and crap. And then it became a restaurant or something.
I'm not sure if that's going downhill, so much as jumping headfirst off the north face onto the rocks below.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Used to like The Lamb in Lewes, until it got done up a few years ago and became overpriced and crap. And then it became a restaurant or something.
I'm not sure if that's going downhill, so much as jumping headfirst off the north face onto the rocks below.
It’s now an Italian restaurant, looked very busy when I walked past about a month back.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I have to say the dear old Bugle (off Lewes Road) isn't what it used to be. Quite a few of us have decamped to the Park Crescent round the corner, which has the added bonus of having Eileen (former landlady of the Bugle in its real ale heyday) as one of the barmaids.

The Bugle is rare because it's a pub that's gone downhill. Most pubs that 'aren't what they were' (the Preston Park Tavern being a shining example) are because they've been ponced up and are now little more than restaurants where you can have a pint with your meal. Far too many country pubs have gone that way - although I accept that if the alternative is closure then fair enough.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Last night I'd booked a table in the Duke of Wellington, Upper Gloucester Road, to watch Mitro v Brazil with other local Fulham fans. I did this on the basis of going there in the last World Cup and Fulham games when it's been buzzing with good ale and sausages.

It's obviously changed hands as there was no real ale (bar person didn't even know what it is) & seemed populated mainly by leery 20 year olds. £6.65 for a pint of Beavertown Neck Oil. The highlight was the Mini Cheddars for sale. Luckily we were able to adjourn up the hill to rhe better (still no real ale) Eddy and then the Evening Star for frothing fancies.

What other pubs have gone rapidly downhill in the last few years?
Was in the Welly for the England/Iran game. Harvey’s was great as were the barmaids. Neck oil seriously overpriced everywhere

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I have to say the dear old Bugle (off Lewes Road) isn't what it used to be. Quite a few of us have decamped to the Park Crescent round the corner, which has the added bonus of having Eileen (former landlady of the Bugle in its real ale heyday) as one of the barmaids.

The Bugle is rare because it's a pub that's gone downhill. Most pubs that 'aren't what they were' (the Preston Park Tavern being a shining example) are because they've been ponced up and are now little more than restaurants where you can have a pint with your meal. Far too many country pubs have gone that way - although I accept that if the alternative is closure then fair enough.
Park Crescent is ok, I went in there about 6 months ago, I think there is a young lad as the manager from Newcastle into Ska music and Scooters, nice guy had a long chat with him, never eaten there though any good ?

Can't stand Preston Park Tavern, everything is pretentious in their, the prices, the staff and customers.....

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
The Greys and The Geese are still great pubs. I particularly like The Greys- still has music, and very good beers.
At one time the Greys was absolutely fantastic and had great food as well. It went a bit downhill after the landlord left but seems to be reviving a bit. I met the ex landlord, recently, an Albion Fan, who is also an actor, on the bus on the way to the Chelsea game - great bloke and told him what a great pub the Greys was under his and his wifes reign. He is now concentrating on his drama work, and how hard it is now to make money running a pub.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Anyone know the Hanover area? - wondered if the Geese and the Greys were still as good as they used to be? The Greys was great for live music. I used the Cricketers a lot in Hove and the Prestonville was another favourite - the Cricketers is the same old old, but what’s happened to the Prestonville?. Going back 30 years, the Belvedere, (for pool), The Green Dragon among the favourites for a meet up in town but often the pubs I used to go to were where live music was playing. Completely out of touch now.
Hanover always used to be a great place for a chilled Saturday or Sunday afternoon's drinking. As well as the Greys and Geese always liked the Dover Castle, the Sir Charles Napier, the Constant Service and Haus on the Hill. Been a awhile since I've been to any of them. I remember going to the Green Dragon years ago when I went to Brighton Technical College in Pelham Street, great pub

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Slightly off topic but pub-related, in recent years the lack of pool tables in pubs has been really noticeable.
Not massively into playing it, so doesn’t really impact me, but if someone asked me to name 5 pubs to play pool, I’d have to give it serious thought.

We’ve only got one snooker club now too (Castle St?).. I think.

Tell me about it.

15(?) pubs in Shoreham. 2 pool tables. Not many more with a darts board either. The poncification of pubs really is shocking.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hanover always used to be a great place for a chilled Saturday or Sunday afternoon's drinking. As well as the Greys and Geese always liked the Dover Castle, the Sir Charles Napier, the Constant Service and Haus on the Hill. Been a awhile since I've been to any of them. I remember going to the Green Dragon years ago when I went to Brighton Technical College in Pelham Street, great pub
The Northern always seemed packed with students from Pelham Street.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Although I used to play in the Brighton pool league at one time, I really miss bar billiards - seemed a more naturally real pubby type game. I think the Welly in Shoreham has a bar billiards table but cant think of one in Brighton. Also, re darts I noticed the newly refurbished Admiral (Napier) in Elm Grove seems to have two darts boards - perhaps its making a come back?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If it is even possible since my first visit in 1972..... The Mill House, Portslade. Thankfully now demolished.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Although I used to play in the Brighton pool league at one time, I really miss bar billiards - seemed a more naturally real pubby type game. I think the Welly in Shoreham has a bar billiards table but cant think of one in Brighton. Also, re darts I noticed the newly refurbished Admiral (Napier) in Elm Grove seems to have two darts boards - perhaps its making a come back?

The Caxton Arms has one, along with darts & Toad In The Hole.

I know it’s the opposite of the thread title, and it’s a popular opinion on here because of who runs it but the Caxton is excellent now. I used to go in there before Brighton games when they did a free BBQ and it was empty. Went in there a week or so ago and it was rammed. Nice to see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here