Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs that are closed down.

Genuine question, can you name any of the lewes pubs that have closed down apart from the ones above?

The complete list ...

Bear Lewes Bridge.
Bee Hive Cliffe High Street.
Bell Eastport Lane, Southover.
Britannia Keere Hill
Castle Formerly known as Lewes Castle.
Cliffe Tavern High Street.
Cleopatra
Crimean
Dolphin
Foresters Arms Malling Street. Formerly known as the Rose & Crown.
Fox Southerham
Fountain
George Inn Waterloo Place.
Grape Vine Elm Grove.
Hare & Hounds Malling Street.
Jolly Anglers Station Street. Formerly known as the Coach & Horses.
Jolly Friars Priory Street.
Kings Arms 47 North Street. Opened in 1825, now demolished to make way for flats.
Manxman
Meridian 109 Western Road.
Morning Star High Street.
New Station Lansdowne Place.
Prince Of Wales Malling Hill.
Priory Arms Southover.
Queens Head
Railway Friars Walk.
Red White & Blue
Rock Inn Malling Street.
Running Horse High Street.
Sussex Arms Fisher Street.
Tanners Arms Malling Street.
Thatched House South Street.
Waterloo Tavern
White Horse St John Street.
Windmill Spital Road.

Lost Pubs In Lewes, Sussex

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Maybe my first-hand experience will help you decide who is largely to blame for the state of pubs.
I took over the lease of my pub in Brighton 18 months ago with an initial deal to run it for a year and then discuss terms after that initial year.
We took it from taking not even £3k per week to the final month averaging £11.5k per week. Had entertainment from Alabama 3, Chris Liberator, JFB and loads of other really good stuff.
I met with Enterprise a year on who said that it was a record year's barrelage. So far so good.
Of course what they then did was say that the rent was to go up by 66% and the threshold before I can obtain a discount off my beer will be doubled. No interest in helping someone who turned one of their pubs around at all.
I walked away and they lost someone who invested in their pub, built up the trade and of course sold a load of their beer that I had to pay through the nose for.

It's all about the rent I'm sorry to say. Punch are exactly the same. With a load of cash swilling around the economy it was OK, but when times are hard the Pubco business model just doesn't work.

One thing I won't miss is the sight of empty vodka bottles in the garden the next morning as the £7 bottle from Tesco is cheaper than the £2.30 per shot I charged !

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
The manxman hasnt closed down , was just renamed the dorset arms.

But wasn't it empty/derelict for a while before the Dorset opened? There are others that have closed down but I'm talking YEARS ago - only wise old un's will be able to tell us. Lord B where are you?

Edit - The wise old un has appeared :lol:

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Whilst trying to plot a little crawl last week, I was reading a bit about now defunct pubs in my "Definitive Guide to Brighton's Best Pubs" book.

It got me thinking - that book's 5/6 years old now - isn't it time Attila & Co got together and compiled a revised version of this bible? (HINT HINT!)

Attila didn't have anything to do with the book apart from writing the foreword. It had already been written and the main writer (can't remember his name) put out an appeal online for a local celebrity to write a foreword. Everyone he'd contacted has said no, apart from one person (Eubank, iirc) whose agent said "he'll do it if you pay him £50k". Stretching the concept of a celebrity a bit, I put the guy in touch with Attila, who duly wrote the foreword for free (albeit without having seen any of the book).

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Thanks sams dad, only footie pub within half a mile of me (yes I am too lazy to walk much further), be good to have it back...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but I have been told that The Oak won't be showing football when it re-opens.

Rose and Crown, Whitehill Road, Crowborough. Used to have regular live bands but suffered from a landlord who was a little too liberal with who he served and how long he served for. Pub is now flats with houses in the former car park, must have been gone for at least 20 years.

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
Word is that the Oak has been purchased by the owner from the Dorset on Gardener Street, with a view to 'transform' it into a foodie 'gastropub' thang.

But wasn't it empty/derelict for a while before the Dorset opened? There are others that have closed down but I'm talking YEARS ago - only wise old un's will be able to tell us. Lord B where are you?

Edit - The wise old un has appeared :lol:
I remember it before it was the Manxman. It was called the Dorset Arms. It was closed for a long time before Harvey's spent a lot of money on transforming it into the bigger pub that it is now. The original Dorset Arms was much smaller.

The proprietor of the Manxman was a nasty piece of work, with somewhat extreme views on such things as immigration (and a customer base that shared his right-wing politics) - so much so that the local branch of Camra once included his pub in their guide to local pubs with a piss-taking entry that read "West Indian Reggae Music on Friday Nights".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here