Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs on the motorway??

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Best thing to do then is ban drink driving completely then we'd not have these issues.

Well, thats another argument entirely.

But as far as this idea goes, I think its just putting an unnecessary temptation there. It'd be far too easy for drivers who are stopping for a break to end up having a beer or two, or worse, when previously they'd never even thought about it, or ever had that option in the first place at a service station.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Far be it for me to point out to the outraged of NSC but there's also a medium sized hotel right next door. Are people now suggesting that pubs should not be built near roads at all to discourage drink driving? Total non story

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Has anyone used these services? They aren't actually on the motorway.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Eamon Holmes comes accross as a bit of a dick in that video.

The 'temptation' argument is not a valid one either. You aren't allowed to use your mobile whilst driving but I bet nearly every driver had one in their pocket. You can't eat while you're driving but every service station has a fast food outlet that does take away.

10 mins up the road from this service station is a huge ASDA that sells alcohol which is right next to the motorway. In the same complex there is a TGI Friday, where you can get a beer. These don't get any attention.

Any stag/hen/football coaches that are on the booze will have drinks on the coach. They manage to stop at service stations all over the country without fighting.

If people are going to get drunk and drive a car on the motorway then there is also as much chance of them getting drunk in any pub in the UK and driving on a motorway or 'A' road.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
unless I needed something else there. Like petrol.
Do people actually buy petrol from motorway services?! I'd be more likely to go to a motorway services for a pint than to get petrol! It's usually about 15p a litre more than anywhere else.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I wouldn't build them on the motorway. They'd get in the way of the cars. By the side is fine (and even that is irresponsible).

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Can't see the problem. Not everyone at motorway services is driving a car. 3 out of 4 people are probably just passengers....for whom it is perfectly legal to drink.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In a delicious development, there's been a pile up (no one hurt hopefully) at this motorway junction tonight. Wonder what the cause is...? Please be a drink driver ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here