Here and There
1694520228054.png

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
For those baffled by yet another thread started by the OP with no context and a missing negative, this is the thing.

Tom Kerridge was interviewed about it on Today this morning and explained the '20p extra' is actually the real price when costs are taken into account - i.e. more staff needed at busier times. The rest of the time it's discounted so actually a happy hour.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'll interpret, but this is only based on something I heard on the radio this morning...

Some pubs are starting to charge more for drinks during "peak hours" than during quieter times. I don't know if this means a discount during off-peak times, or a bump in prices during busier times.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
For those baffled by yet another thread started by the OP with no context and a missing negative, this is the thing.

Tom Kerridge was interviewed about it on Today this morning and explained the '20p extra' is actually the real price when costs are taken into account - i.e. more staff needed at busier times. The rest of the time it's discounted so actually a happy hour.
Thank you.

I'm trying my hardest to be outraged by this, but surely it's just the same concept as the traditional 'Happy Hour' but approached for another angle? When a pub wants to encourage trade drink prices are reduced. When they don't want/need to encourage trade then prices increase.

It reminds me a bit of the old days when pubs used to have Public and Saloon bars. The same beer in the same pub served by the same people at the same time would cost you a few pence more if the room had a bit of carpet on the floor.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed, no different to meal deals, happy hour, day time discounts etc available in many pubs.

Good publicity though

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'll interpret, but this is only based on something I heard on the radio this morning...

Some pubs are starting to charge more for drinks during "peak hours" than during quieter times. I don't know if this means a discount during off-peak times, or a bump in prices during busier times.

You do realise that you're doing all the groundwork here ???

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You do realise that you're doing all the groundwork here ???
I think it just shows what an inclusive site NSC is. Most sites would insist that someone can write before allowing them to start threads.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I think it just shows what an inclusive site NSC is. Most sites would insist that someone can write before allowing them to start threads.
I know, it's a good job they had nothing to do with Magna Carta at Runneymede, orherwise we'll all be still under royal rule.
:facepalm:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Oh, I think we do know...

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Aren't pubs legally obliged to display their prices?

Are they going to have to have rotating boards like McDonalds used to have when they switched from the breakfast menu?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here