Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Public Sector Strike Day

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
On a lighter note, I had a cracking email from a jobsworth at Surrey Highways regarding a blocked road gully I have been trying to get cleared for the last 8 months;

"Dear Sir or Madam

Thank you for your enquiry reported on 29/01/14 10:22:55

Unforchnetley the recourses are being stretched and as such as this is only flooding the carriage way in a minor way this will have to wait until the new financial year and when recourses allow.

Once again thank you for contacting us. If you have any further queries or require additional information you may find the following page on our website useful: www.surreycc.gov.uk/highwaysinfo

Kind regards

CHO
Surrey Highways"

More money should be paid to the Public Sector so that they can get spell checkers installed on their computers :rolleyes:

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
I don't work in the public sector but agree fully with the strike these cretins that are running the country tell everyone that the pain of pay freezes pension changes etc should be shared by everyone and then in the next breath it's reported that they are getting a massive pay increase and their pensions stay the same so **** em continue striking till we get this shower of wasters out of Downing Street!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Can't agree with the public sector strikes.
Plenty private sector workers would love to have the pay and conditions of employment enjoyed by many in the public sector,including the still generous pension terms.
As far as the teachers are concerned,even Fred Jarvis,the former general secretary of the NUT has condemned the influence of the ultra left on the ruling executive.
The truth is,of course,that the strike won't achieve anything at all;except posisbly bring forward legislation to prevent strike action being taken without a new ballot.
On a slightly different note,I have always found the bin men and those working at the local tip extremely helpful and pleasant.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Well done to all those on strike today - standing up for public services, and for the 99% who rely on them. In Cameron's world we'll all pay for the services we can't afford, making him and his pals richer. All the while trying to reduce the power of unions (not that they have the power of the 70's anymore anyway, it's a different world now), preventing the people from having their say. It's underhand dictatorship.
Enjoy your day, it's unpaid afterall.

Hahaha , 'standing up for public services ' my a*se , If they're striking over pay and conditions or their pensions then good luck to tbem , but to spin tbe fairy story that they're 'standing up for public services' is an insult to peoples Intelligence .

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
bushy.jpg

Should I 'view post'? Is he going to surprise me?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
View attachment 56082

Should I 'view post'? Is he going to surprise me?

Seems a little pointless reading a post from someone you've chosen to ignore :p I'm not sure I see the point of the ignore list anyway to be honest - just scroll on ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This country only has one financial problem. The money is not distributed fairly and is being stockpiled by the old boy network. The money is there, we just don't get to see any of it. 13 percent pay rise for MP's while working couples are using food banks and teachers are told to suck it up as they see their pensions disappear. We are told the government is getting them in line with the private sector. To me, that translates as "look people, look at those greedy teachers wanting more than their fair share! Look at them stealing from the nation. And they dare to strike!!"

It's as transparent as it is insidious. And 50 percent of us are falling for it.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I do love the way in which the loony lefties jump on here and say it's the current governments fault for the problems we're in with the rich getting richer. I didn't see any evidence of the last Labour government curtailing the expansive nature of the rich getting richer. All they seemed to do was spend, spend, spend, and then sold the entire UK Gold reserves at an all time low. Smart move lefties.

You all know that when the loony left get back in, as they will next year, they will then place the UK dangerously back further into the red, whilst failing to plug any tax gaps that successive governments have failed to achieve over years of poor management. Greece anyone?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I do love the way in which the loony lefties jump on here and say it's the current governments fault for the problems we're in with the rich getting richer. I didn't see any evidence of the last Labour government curtailing the expansive nature of the rich getting richer. All they seemed to do was spend, spend, spend, and then sold the entire UK Gold reserves at an all time low. Smart move lefties.

You all know that when the loony left get back in, as they will next year, they will then place the UK dangerously back further into the red, whilst failing to plug any tax gaps that successive governments have failed to achieve over years of poor management. Greece anyone?

. . . stops reading

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Labour won't get in,despite what current opinion polls state..Another coalition beckons,with what parties is my only question

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Labour undoubtedly messed up big time but how long is Cameron going to keep crying that a bigger boy did it and ran away!? A proposed 11% pay rise hardly inspires confidence.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
It works for me. Anyway, back to enjoy my strike day.

I didn't realise YOU were on strike , I bet you work in the council offices in some sort of paper shuffling role , you strke me as the sort of bloke who does the job precisely because its an easier life than the private sector and are now throwing your toys out of tbe pram because you've got to justify your job.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
Good on them. This Government has treated the public sector with contempt, made the lives of thousands of workers utterly intolerable, and sought to privatise everything it can. I'd be on strike in their position!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I was at Hove dump this morning and whenever I go there they are always the epitome of politeness, helpfulness and good humour.

Be handy if they were open longer at weekends, or even open on Bank Holidays, you know, when people want to use the tip, they manage it in Adur you know.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
After one of the least exciting closed seasons for many a year where NSC has seemed almost terminally asleep along comes something which just might start a bit of binfestery.

Ladies and gentlemen, grab a chair, stock up on snacks and possibly get the beers in for the afternoon, could be fun........

Despite not giving an opinion, you thumbed down my first post, and you have two 'friends' in your profile, one being Bushy.

*slow hand claps*

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I feel for the front line workers who are often demonised in this and from my experience do the best they can with the tools at their disposal.

However I have also seen first hand the resistance to any sort of modernisation or change that ultimately results in driving up costs. The cuts are always aimed at front line staff when millions of pounds are lost through process and system inefficiencies. I saw a good example of this in the NHS where millions of pounds are wasted keeping perfectly healthy people in hospital all weekend as consultants refuse to work weekends.

There are so many changes that could be made to streamline processes across the public sector but there seems to be fight against any sort of reform.

I support the strike as the cuts are always aimed at the people least at fault for the issues within our services but culturally something needs to give in the public sector if positive improvements are to be made for the longer term benefit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here