Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Public School/ fee paying school educated footballers

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bielsa is from a very wealthy and privileged family back in Argentina. lawyers and government ministers. Maybe that's helped him to coach Pat Bamford who is, by all accounts, incredibly posh.

Gritty old Leeds eh?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Odds weren't exactly stacked in your favour, even if you, say, went to Gillingham Grammar School, where you'd only be offered the choice of rugby or hockey. And the greatest tennis player the UK never produced probably went to some comprehensive somewhere and never even got to hold a tennis racquet in their life. We don't really nurture sport in this country. Unlike say the Aussies. It's their true religion from as soon as they can toddle

Climate has a lot of bearing on tennis players. Your hero was sent to Spain along with his brother aged 15 as Dunblane isn't known for outdoor summer pursuits.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
In addition to the likes of Bamford and Hughes, there's not many (around 40), but certainly more than one might at first think.

Current players that made it to the top level include:

Fraser Forster (RGS Newcastle)
Victor Moses (Whitgift)
Callum Hudson-Odoi (Whitgift)
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (St John's College, Southsea)
Michael Keane (St Bede's, Manchester)

Some from the past:

Barry Horne (The King's School, Chester)
David Howells (Charterhouse)
Colin Pates (Whitgift)

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
In addition to the likes of Bamford and Hughes, there's not many (around 40), but certainly more than one might at first think.

Current players that made it to the top level include:

Fraser Forster (RGS Newcastle)
Victor Moses (Whitgift)
Callum Hudson-Odoi (Whitgift)
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (St John's College, Southsea)
Michael Keane (St Bede's, Manchester)

Some from the past:

Barry Horne (The King's School, Chester)
David Howells (Charterhouse)
Colin Pates (Whitgift)

Howells taught at Charterhouse after he finished playing but wasn’t educated there.

Another ex-player: Quinton Fortune (ex Man Utd) went to Forest School.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Howells taught at Charterhouse after he finished playing but wasn’t educated there.

Another ex-player: Quinton Fortune (ex Man Utd) went to Forest School.

Ah, thanks for the clarification here.

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
I remember when Steve Foster was at St John's.
He played at centre forward for their 1st X1 against Portsmouth Southern Grammar when I was in charge of the SGS 1st X1, around 1972.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Old Etonians won the FA Cup in 1879 and 1882.

14 old Etonians have played for England - some time ago admittedly.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Football was and still is very much a working class sport - it’s not likely many of the players would have been educated privately. Yes we have some great independent selective schools in Sussex, Brighton College & Hurstpierpoint College spring to mind but at around £25,000 per year per child at senior school it’s out of the reach of many people .

I expect if you did the same calculation for top class Rugby players or cricket the percentage would be higher .

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I remember when Steve Foster was at St John's.
He played at centre forward for their 1st X1 against Portsmouth Southern Grammar when I was in charge of the SGS 1st X1, around 1972.

Does everyone pay at St John's ? When I went to De la Salle , Hove ( a long time ago) they streamed it so there was a fee paying stream and an optional fee paying stream for kids who passed the 11 plus , I was in the latter stream and didn't pay but technically went to a private school...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
In many cases a private education does not go hand in hand with a privileged background. I had a scholarship to a very cheap private school. There are lots of associated costs and these combined with fees of my siblings meant we never went on holidays etc. All of my school friends came from similar backgrounds and indeed friends at the local state school lived in bigger houses. Many parents choose between spending the money on private schooling or buying a more expensive house close to a good state school. Having said all that if the players mentioned all come from expensive public schools and large family homes then ignore everything I just said.

We’re you a disappointment to your parents ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Does everyone pay at St John's ? When I went to De la Salle , Hove ( a long time ago) they streamed it so there was a fee paying stream and an optional fee paying stream for kids who passed the 11 plus , I was in the latter stream and didn't pay but technically went to a private school...

I was offered a place at Brighton College under this premise in 1981. My parents refused. I'm grateful for it. I would have hated it.

I understand why parents send their kids to private school and don't judge. But sometimes it just doesn't add up.

A former boss of mine sent her kid to a private school, despite having the opportunity to move to the St Luke's catchment area, the most sought after primary school in the country. My family and me went there and I did my best to encourage her to send her kid there and save thousands of pounds. It's been outstanding for decades. She didn't.

I just don't get that.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
In many cases a private education does not go hand in hand with a privileged background. I had a scholarship to a very cheap private school. There are lots of associated costs and these combined with fees of my siblings meant we never went on holidays etc. All of my school friends came from similar backgrounds and indeed friends at the local state school lived in bigger houses. Many parents choose between spending the money on private schooling or buying a more expensive house close to a good state school. Having said all that if the players mentioned all come from expensive public schools and large family homes then ignore everything I just said.

Virgo said in a recent podcast that he didn’t come from a privileged background at all. He got a sports scholarship . Same with Solly March - no parental fortune.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here