Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Public Questions to be Asked at Lewes DC Meeting on Wednesday

Will they be answered? We shall see.

These are the Questions that have been submitted to Lewes District Council for answering at the start of the Council Meeting on Wednesday afternoon.

The meeting starts at 2.30pm and is being held at Pelham House, St Andrews Lane, Lewes (an easy walk from the Railway Station, if anyone is interesting in coming along to hear the answers and the tricky supplementary questions that the rules allow questioners to put to Ann de Vecchi).

Questions for the Leader of the Council:-

[QUESTION 1]

Proposed High Court challenge to the decision of the First Secretary of State to grant planning permission for the Brighton & Hove Albion football stadium in Brighton

Taking into account:-

(1) the scale of the opposition to the Cabinet’s decision;
(2) the likelihood of losing the case;
(3) the conclusion of the second Inquiry Inspector, David Brier, that there is no scope for developing an alternative site;
(4) the potential costs to the Council;
(5) current budget pressures;
(6) the fact that no public debate has taken place within the Council; and
(7) the fact there was no public consultation before the Cabinet took its decision,

will the Leader of the Council explain what arrangements exist within the Council’s constitution for reviewing and possibly rescinding the decision that the Cabinet took at its meeting on 24 November and will she commit herself to supporting such a review?

[QUESTION 2]

Can you list all the projects that have been deferred by Lewes District Council in this Council Tax Year 2005/06 by reason of a lack of funding?

[QUESTION 3]

Can you provide an analysis of the total cost of opposing the Community Stadium at the Brighton University North site to date, including Council officers' time and resources?

[QUESTION 4]

Given that the Cabinet received legal advice regarding a challenge via the High Court to the Government's planning permission for Brighton and Hove Albion's stadium, can you report
1. the cost of that advice, and
2. whether the advice contained an opinion on the chance of success, and
3. after consideration of the advice whether Cabinet considered there is a better than 10% chance of success?

[QUESTION 5]

Bearing in mind that:
a) the District Council has never argued that the Albion should not have a new stadium, and that
b) surely all parties want an end to a process, now in its fifth year since the planning applications were submitted,
will the District Council actively seek an early hearing in the High Court and look favourably on any early dates suggested?

[QUESTION 6]

If the District Council's challenge to the First Secretary of State's decision is rejected by the High Court, will the District Council accept that as the end of the matter?

[QUESTION 7]

If the District Council's challenge to the First Secretary of State's decision is rejected by the High Court, what is the envisaged financial cost to the District Council?

The PETITION will be presented to the Council immediately after Public Question Time.

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
She doesn't actually have to answer them, does she? I remember a meeting of another authority's cabinet where a member of the public asked the transport spokesman if he would please consider subsidising a threatened bus route. The transport spokesman just said: "No, because we can't afford it."

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Top work as usual, LB :clap:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Excellent set of questions-I particularly like number 2:clap: ...and number 3.

Is there a guestimate yet of petition numbers?

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I hope someone does a full public inquiry-style write up of this meeting. Is Shoreham Gull going? It could be the best day of Albion involvement in the democratic process since the Friends of Sheepcote Valley day :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
I hope someone does a full public inquiry-style write up of this meeting. Is Shoreham Gull going? It could be the best day of Albion involvement in the democratic process since the Friends of Sheepcote Valley day :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Are recording devices allowed at these events?

Selly Oak Seagull said:
Top work as usual, LB :clap:
There's been a deal of behind-the-scenes collaboration on getting these questions together. Not all of it involving the "usual suspects".

Bwian said:
Are recording devices allowed at these events?
Don't know. But the question has been asked.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Excellent work.
Please, please, please can anyone that goes give us a decent report. As a Bristol exile my local news consists of reports on City's relegation battle. Although admittedly that is quite funny to watch.

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
Ditchling
Sorry if this has been said elsewhere, but can I suggest that anyone attending does NOT wear colours. It is important for us to be seen as challenging their action as ratepayers rather than football fans (or hooligans, as Daily Mail readers call us).

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
Excellent work L.B. All best wishes to those who can attend.
It seems to me to be a real class presentation.
Wishing you all the best for Wednesday.

Dandyman

In London village.
:clap:

quality work.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Rangdo said:
We know that already though. LDC will do what THEY want, regardless of what the people they actually represent want.

Where the hell does a shitty little council like FPC get £30,000 from to help fund the legal challenge? That's a lot of money soI hope they don't go crying to the government, cap in hand, the next time they need something fixed that they can't afford because they have no cash.

Effing tossers:angry:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
From the LDC web site:

Is the Decision of the Cabinet subject to confirmation by the Council Meeting to be held on 7 December?

No, the matter is not on the Council agenda for the meeting of 7 December and the application to the High Court will probably be lodged before the meeting of the Council. The Cabinet had full legal powers to take the decision to make the application to the High Court.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Bwian said:
Where the hell does a shitty little council like FPC get £30,000 from to help fund the legal challenge? That's a lot of money soI hope they don't go crying to the government, cap in hand, the next time they need something fixed that they can't afford because they have no cash.

Effing tossers:angry:

Closing Downlands hospital in Newhaven, not mending street lights for 3 months in one road in Newhaven etc etc
These were complaints given to me by people signing the petition.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Yorkie said:
Closing Downlands hospital in Newhaven, not mending street lights for 3 months in one road in Newhaven etc etc

I hope these things can be quoted at the meeting and published in the argus etc

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yorkie said:

He was talking about FPC, not LDC.

(Unless FPC are responsible for closing a hospital and not mending Newhaven streetlights)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here