• Not sure one way or the other

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • Not bothered

Votes: 15 13.5%

• Total voters

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Wind farms have to be part of a broad energy strategy. They are not a solution in themselves. We have 2 wind farms fairly close inshore and its was very disappointing to see them stationary during very cold and still weather - just when you would expect peak demand for electricity. Plus they do not operate over certain wind speeds. So there is a fair amount of downtime. I would like to see figures for their output and how they help meet peak demand.

Secondly there have been technical issues with the foundations subsiding and many have had to be off line whilst being rebuilt.

A lot of the funding has gone to foreign companies to build and operate the wind farms. On the plus side many new local jobs have been created to run the operations centre and support vessels for the wind farms.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I didn't know you could see France from Dover?!

And yeah fair enough, was just inquiring, this is an inquiry after all!

I think someone said above, it means we won't see the base of it then.
France_manche_vue_dover.JPG

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I've never understood why people don't like them. I think they look quite graceful. Get as many out in the sea as you can.

What is the view out to sea anyway? It's just more sea. "Oh look, there's the sea, there's the sky, it looks like the sea and the sky everywhere else on the world" :shrug:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Anyone objecting to developments like this should have their electricity supply restricted intermittently, with power cuts of undetermined lengths every other day, so that they can experience what the world be like in the future for all our children, grandchildren etc. FFS the planet MUST change its reliance on fossil fuels, personally I'd put wind turbines all the way round the coast where it's possible to, it should be a global policy, for all nations. Screw the cost, tax those who object to them to pay for them.

You have one in your garden, of course

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The one at Glynde looks daft on it's own and does spoil the view IMO. Don't think it would be half as bad if there were a few of them.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
There is something very calming about the infinity of view you get from the sea and the sky and I think this would be ruined. Wind d farms are ineffective at times of low or high wind and I would rather have a nuclear power station.

There are thousands of fabulous photos from this part of the coast. Without exception cameras point East/West sunrise and sunset and North for the seafront. The view south is unbroken monotony.

Having said that I don't object to nuclear. I would not worry if they stuck a wind farm in my back yard. In fact plaster the hill above Beeding cement works, this area could not be an uglier anyway.

Also a few monster tower blocks at King Alfred would breathe some life into the Costa Dullsville that is Hove seafront. Even buses are too embarrassed to pass through this imaginative wasteland.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Anyone objecting to developments like this should have their electricity supply restricted intermittently, with power cuts of undetermined lengths every other day, so that they can experience what the world be like in the future for all our children, grandchildren etc. FFS the planet MUST change its reliance on fossil fuels, personally I'd put wind turbines all the way round the coast where it's possible to, it should be a global policy, for all nations. Screw the cost, tax those who object to them to pay for them.

This, solar farms in deserts also.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...

Unfortunately if we rely on windfarms for our future energy supply then we will all have our electricity restricted intermittently, with power cuts of undetermined lengths every other day. Then our grandchildren will ask us "When can we have some electricity - I have to go to virtual school today" or whatever. Wind is not the answer, it is a political gesture to keep the green lobby quiet.

If you are looking for renewables out to sea then look no further than waves and tides, far more reliable and consistent. What we need is a long term energy strategy for this country agreed by all parties, not knee jerk reactions by short-term politicians.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would not worry if they stuck a wind farm in my back yard.

I think you would, when you found out how much noise they can make, close up.

I'm another who LIKES the view of them though, and am all for them, both offshore, and in uninhabited inland sites.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Unfortunately if we rely on windfarms for our future energy supply then we will all have our electricity restricted intermittently, with power cuts of undetermined lengths every other day. Then our grandchildren will ask us "When can we have some electricity - I have to go to virtual school today" or whatever. Wind is not the answer, it is a political gesture to keep the green lobby quiet.

If you are looking for renewables out to sea then look no further than waves and tides, far more reliable and consistent. What we need is a long term energy strategy for this country agreed by all parties, not knee jerk reactions by short-term politicians.

The country isn't - for the foreseeable future - going to 'rely' on wind farms. They're going to be there, one, as a supplement / gradual replacement for fossil fuel power stations, and two, because there is an international obligation for UK to have a certain percentage of energy coming from renewables.

However, According to the Institue for Public Policy Research, the UK has enough predictable wind energy to offer a solution.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...h-to-keep-lights-on-says-think-tank-IPPR.html

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Wind is not the ONLY answer, just like gas isn't the only answer, and coal isn't the only answer at the moment. Wind, wave, tidal and solar together can supply plenty of electricity. To be against one source because it won't provide for 100% of the country's desire for electricity is ridiculous. Wind turbines are part of the desired long-term energy strategy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here