Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Pub help crazy government decisons

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can't understand why people are more concerned about saving pubs than saving lives.

where have you got the idea people want to save pubs at expense of lives? the suggestion is that banning off sales is stupid. and since the start its come to light they will be permitted with advance orders.

people like their local beers not available in the supermarket, and it might keep a few pubs ticking over. i know one pub well that acted as community hub, ordering in food, arranging shopping a delivery for dozens of people shielding. they sold a fair few flagons and kegs of Harvey's keeping peoples moral up. i think that will be valuable even more in these cold darker months.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Can't understand why people are more concerned about saving pubs than saving lives.

Pubs should be allowed (and it looks like they will be) to make off licence sales, not open up as normal. I'd suggest my local would be safer than a supermarket anyway, if you don't have a mask you don't get served, alcohol gels everywhere, test and trace, no mouth breathers fondling the discount section. Hospitality needs as much support as possible

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Yes that is exactly what they should do.

No, they shouldn't. Sometimes government needs to be a blunt instrument because the alternative is impossibly administrative. This is, for now, only a four week lockdown. We just need to suck it up and bear the consequences.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes that is exactly what they should do.

In the time available that is impracticable. You'd have to look at and make a decision on every different type of business and then, if you're going down that micro level, the geography of where that business is! That wouldn't happen overnight and probably wouldn't happen within two weeks. And then of course you need to deal with the challenges.

We should have had the two week circuit breaker weeks ago. Business would then have been open through to xmas and new year. Maybe then another two week circuit breaker if the figures were starting to deteriorate again.

I'm sure if you gave a business an option of shutting completely for two weeks but then being open for the next 8 and maintain that pattern until we get a vaccine they'd leap at the certainty of that rather than what we now have ie 4 week lockdown with no certainty.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We should have had the two week circuit breaker weeks ago. Business would then have been open through to xmas and new year. Maybe then another two week circuit breaker if the figures were starting to deteriorate again.

I'm sure if you gave a business an option of shutting completely for two weeks but then being open for the next 8 and maintain that pattern until we get a vaccine they'd leap at the certainty of that rather than what we now have ie 4 week lockdown with no certainty.

what about the option of 2-3 weeks, maybe, then open for a few weeks before closed again as numbers go up mid-late November. that is what was on offer a month ago, a simple 2 week circuit breaker was a myth (Wales and Scotland both extended there's). as it is numbers are already coming down because the tiers where probably effective enough up north.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
what about the option of 2-3 weeks, maybe, then open for a few weeks before closed again as numbers go up mid-late November. that is what was on offer a month ago, a simple 2 week circuit breaker was a myth (Wales and Scotland both extended there's). as it is numbers are already coming down because the tiers where probably effective enough up north.

Two weeks should have been enough if it had been used at the right time however, this government are always lagging behind in their response to this virus. That said, if you were saying to a business you'll shut for 3 weeks but then be open for 8 I'm sure they would take that.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I remember you writing about this back then and it was the first thing I thought about when I heard that takeaway drinks were not permitted this time.

It was a couple of pubs, well one is a bar. I'm not a busy body, but what really annoyed me was they were doing it in the face of competitors who were trying to be really creative in keeping their business open.

Within days my local had turned itself into a takeaway (with pints and cocktails). It's on a corner and down one side (running away from the pub) is a long low wall perfect to sit on "socially distanced".

No one bothered and it was actually encouraging to see people "doing the right thing", whilst helping to keep the business open.

It got bad was after the pubs were allowed to open.

Carried on regardless with it's cheeky "pavement" garden and didn't bother opening up inside at all. The pavements started getting blocked with pissed up groups of people. Usually in the middle of the day, remembering it was quite a novetly at that point to go to a pub....

Retrospectively they were waiting to buy some land next door for a garden, but they weren't going to wait for it.

They've taken the piss all summer, I won't be going in there again - luckily I'm surrounded by pubs.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Pubs should be allowed (and it looks like they will be) to make off licence sales, not open up as normal. I'd suggest my local would be safer than a supermarket anyway, if you don't have a mask you don't get served, alcohol gels everywhere, test and trace, no mouth breathers fondling the discount section. Hospitality needs as much support as possible

Totally agree. The few pubs I have been to have been cleaned to an inch of their lives, no mixing with others, table service, no moving round the pub, whereas the supermarkets are pretty poor in my view. Loads of people not wearing masks, leaning over other customers to take stuff off the shelves, loads of people picking up things then deciding to put them back. I reckon the supermarkets are far more likely to spread covid than a well run small pub. Can't see in the lockdown why they can't do a click and collect for small quantities of beer to take home if you happen to be passing.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This lockdown is bullshit on so many levels.

Why can't pubs sell take away booze? Why can't gyms can't open when they clearly have mental and physical health benefits. Kids can't play sport but can go to school? Golf and tennis?

If all of the above spread the virus show us the stats? How dare you shut down peoples lives and not share correct information. It's beyond me.

Led by Donkeys. If you voted for them you should be ashamed.

Krusty

Sep 9, 2006

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So sad to be out and about in Horsham town at lunchtime and seeing all these fantastically well-run pubs and the good good people employed in them being zapped in this nonsensical arbitrary way. Total respect and very best wishes for a speedy reopening

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
So sad to be out and about in Horsham town at lunchtime and seeing all these fantastically well-run pubs and the good good people employed in them being zapped in this nonsensical arbitrary way. Total respect and very best wishes for a speedy reopening
When I was 18 the Crown used to be my go to Pub some great nights in there as a teenager, haven’t been to Horsham for yonks. As for the pubs shutting what a load of tripe, some of these construction sites have thousands of guys on them all mixing can’t see a difference apart from the 20% vat the government make on construction materials.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here