Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Pub help crazy government decisons

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I am a bit confused by most of the replies on this thread. Is it such a hardship to have pubs and gyms closed of at least a month (I don't mean financial hardship for the business owners)?

If you fancy a drink, pop into the supermarket and pick one up. There's loads of booze to choose from.

If you want to exercise go for a nice run in the park or along the beach.

It's only for a short period of time in the grand scheme of things and it might just save a few thousand people from dying a horrible death.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I am a bit confused by most of the replies on this thread. Is it such a hardship to have pubs and gyms closed of at least a month (I don't mean financial hardship for the business owners)?

If you fancy a drink, pop into the supermarket and pick one up. There's loads of booze to choose from.

If you want to exercise go for a nice run in the park or along the beach.

It's only for a short period of time in the grand scheme of things and it might just save a few thousand people from dying a horrible death.

Oh Biscuit, Biscuit, Biscuit. What have you done?

So, instead of going to a pub ever, we should all go to the supermarket instead? The point is that
if pubs can't sell booze for take-away over a month when their takings are above average, many will fold.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Oh Biscuit, Biscuit, Biscuit. What have you done?

So, instead of going to a pub ever, we should all go to the supermarket instead? The point is that
if pubs can't sell booze for take-away over a month when their takings are above average, many will fold.

Is there really that much demand for take a way booze from pubs during a winter lockdown?

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
That’s ok, as someone who’s owned 4 pubs, 2 lease, 1 free and 1 tenanted, I can give an example of each in their cost base.

Simple example is a firkin of ale would cost £90 free trade and the very same would be £160 tied. So you’re right in what you posted. This shows a free of tie outlet can make a lot more.

I ran my own licensing consultancy for a number of years and now I’m a quality manager for a major brewer so have seen it from nearly all sides.

Without COVID a pub is the last thing I’d advice anyone to take on, now I’d run for the hills.

Thanks for that, very informative. I agree, having a pub these days is not a good career choice. Cheers.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
You make a good point but many see the education side that apart from those in schools, kids are holed up in halls of residence or shared accommodation, doing very little in the way of learning other than distant computer work, shagging and partying, spreading the virus.

Agree.

On the uni's - maybe this mass testing that is being trialled in Liverpool could be used for students on the day they come home? Test, get a result in 2hrs, and come home or not? I don't know - bit of a sh*t show really. No easy options. My wife and eldest work in schools, and my 2 youngest are still in school. Resigned to getting it at some stage, but really don't fancy acquiring said disease. My luck is not the best!

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Is there really that much demand for take a way booze from pubs during a winter lockdown?

I have at least two local real ale places. I get beer there from local breweries. It tastes nicer than bottled beer
in the supermarket. I'm also supporting my local economy and it's nice to go there and meet my mates.

Supermarkets have made fortunes in this pandemic and I can't sit with my mates in a supermarket.
Do you see the difference?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
How many colds did you catch when your kids were young and at school ?

All of mine came from those little baasterds

Let’s make our mind up ...

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I have at least two local real ale places. I get beer there from local breweries. It tastes nicer than bottled beer
in the supermarket. I'm also supporting my local economy and it's nice to go there and meet my mates.

Supermarkets have made fortunes in this pandemic and I can't sit with my mates in a supermarket.
Do you see the difference?

I know the difference between sitting at home drinking supermarket booze and drinking beer in the pub with your friends.

Most people would certainly prefer the 2nd option. The reason it is not a good idea at the moment is because there currently a pandemic with thousands of people dying.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I know the difference between sitting at home drinking supermarket booze and drinking beer in the pub with your friends.

Most people would certainly prefer the 2nd option. The reason it is not a good idea at the moment is because there currently a pandemic with thousands of people dying.

In normal times - yes. But the arguments for takeaway from local pubs vis-a-vis supermarkets still stand.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Pubs make more on food than the booze so it might actually be better for them financially.

A lot of restaurants make more money on booze than they do on food.

Some pubs with a well established roast trade make more on food than they do booze on a Sunday, but 'pubs make more on food than the booze'? Nah.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't even know what that means?

If you want to shut down business's you must have data. You need to show your workings. Prove they spread the virus.

This isn't too much to ask for if you decide to shut down people's livelihoods and affect peoples health, both physical and mental

There is no virus. It's just a hoax. Show me the data it ain't so.

:facepalm:

I do agree that the government are clueless thunder*****, however. I presume you didn't vote for them. :shrug:

Whatever next, eh? ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A lot of restaurants make more money on booze than they do on food.

Some pubs with a well established roast trade make more on food than they do booze on a Sunday, but 'pubs make more on food than the booze'? Nah.

Interestingly, some alcoholics anonymous centres make more money selling booze to relatives of alcoholics in the waiting areas than they make in charitable donations. It's a funny old world. And in the long run......you can guess the rest.

Everyone apart from the old and vulnerable, back to normal, please, and the rest properly shielded and supported financially. It will save lives and money.

Won't happen though because Boris and chums are useless cretins.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Post caveat: The %'s used below are not representative of real numbers - I'm just using them as numbers to rationalise stuff.

For me its all about contacts, and priorities. The majority seem to regard education as last to shut down, so to keep these open, the choice seems to be to shut everything else down.

When you get into arguments about whether it is mad to shut golf down whilst schools are still open, it is not about this. Everyone agrees that 2 people normally 10's of metres apart on a windy day in Sussex are less risky than 30 kids in a classroom. I don't think the debate is about that. If 50% of social transmission is through schools, and you dont want to shut schools down, then you have to shut the other 50% of remaining transmission routes down, whether each individual route contributes 0.5% (maybe golf) or 1% (maybe tennis), or 15% (maybe snail racing).

It feels harsh on the golfers. It feels harsh that kids can play sport at school, but not at a weekend, but in totality, the number of possible transmission routes are less if they don't play sport at the weekend.

I don't advocate either side in this argument, but I understand the rationale for why golf (and other rationally safe activities) are being shutdown. As a result there are political decisions to then be taken on how to support people affected by these decisions, but that is another discussion at a thread near you.

Thanks for taking the time to type more than I did.

Another way of thinking about it is we have a collective "social budget" to spend, and the most we can spend is that which permits the R of the virus to be at 1 or below.

We can spend that social budget in many different ways. Education takes up a big chunk if we choose that, and it doesn't leave much to go round elsewhere.

And as much as Johnson is a buffoon, I do agree with what he said when questioned on this in the Commons - if the government relent on one request, they will be inundated with them from numerous sports. In fact, I think they are already. And, little by little, all those extra bits of social budget they represent combine to quite a significant chunk.

(Again, not saying I agree with this, just that I believe it to be the approach being taken)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Given it is now November I doubt there will be much of that going on in the dark evenings. Really silly rule. Allow them to do off sales and sell the stock they have.

Yeah you are probably right. It got so bad round here that you had to cross the road with the pavements blocked.

I'm not usually a busy body, but I did have a word with my local to stop taking the piss. Other pubs were doing the right thing.

I don't want to see anyone go out of business. They should be able to sell their stock but it must be impossible competing against supermarkets.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yeah you are probably right. It got so bad round here that you had to cross the road with the pavements blocked.

I'm not usually a busy body, but I did have a word with my local to stop taking the piss. Other pubs were doing the right thing.

I don't want to see anyone go out of business. They should be able to sell their stock but it must be impossible competing against supermarkets.

I remember you writing about this back then and it was the first thing I thought about when I heard that takeaway drinks were not permitted this time.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
There is no virus. It's just a hoax. Show me the data it ain't so.

:facepalm:

I do agree that the government are clueless thunder*****, however. I presume you didn't vote for them. :shrug:

Whatever next, eh? ???

Not sure I even know where to start with this, but very briefly, I have never said there isn’t a virus or that the virus isn’t deadly especially to vulnerable people.

I don’t agree with this lockdown and if you are going to shut people’s businesses / curtail personal freedom you should have very strong data to back up that decision

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

If loads of pubs go to the wall and are only left with supermarkets then we will only have ourselves to blame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here