Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pub argument needs help....

United Kingdom is a political term that has no geographical significance at all, and could change at any point, eg if Scotland grow balls. Scotland could leave the UK tomorrow, but can never leave Great Britain (er, unless some future technology enables them to turn the remains of Hadrian Wall into a combined laser drill and landmass transporter).
You need to distinguish between the Kingdom and the nations that the King rules over. Scottish independence would not affect the rule of the House of Windsor. Scots will still be subjects of the Crown (and the Crown of Scotland was united with the Crown of England in 1603 - which was a long time before the 1707 Act of Union that joined the two nations together). What this means is that, even if Scotland becomes an independent nation, the United Kingdom will remain - as a plaything of the Windsors. I'm sure they will want to hold on to the Naming Rights. As Mr Barber has taught us, naming rights are worth a fortune.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

that would be interesting if it didnt have three major errors. firstly, "co-equal and soverign nations" is wrong. Wales is not a sovereign nation, it was a principality that was annexed to England and formally become part of England under the Tudors - it has the same laws and England+Wales is a single state by any other standards. Northern Ireland isnt soverign either, we generally know about the complications there. secondly, Great Britain is not a geographic term, it is very much a political term formed from the Acts of Union in 1707 between England and Scotland. Thirdly, there is no pretense of divine rule, the Monarchy is in place by act of parliament when in 1689 they decided to invite William and Mary to become the monarch. theres a minor point that we certainly dont forget Northern Ireland, how could we for the past 40 years, so the author is pretty clueless.

... United Kingdom is a political term that has no geographical significance at all, and could change at any point, eg if Scotland grow balls. Scotland could leave the UK tomorrow, but can never leave Great Britain

nope, if Scotland leaves there's no Great Britain any more. We'd correctly become "United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland", though im not sure that would happen (it'll piss off the Welsh no end), reckon will just simply truncate to United Kingdom.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
nope, if Scotland leaves there's no Great Britain any more. We'd correctly become "United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland", though im not sure that would happen (it'll piss off the Welsh no end), reckon will just simply truncate to United Kingdom.

I don't think that's strictly true. The land mass on which we're currently stood would still be known as Great Britian, regardless of the political status of the countries that occupy it.

Much like the island of Hispaniola would remain Hispaniola even if Haiti and the Dominican Republic decided to join forces and become one nation (which would never happen anyway). The island has one name and the countries on that island have their own names. Similarly Borneo remains Borneo, regardless of how Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei choose to split it up amongst themselves.

Thus, in the plainest terms, in answer to your original question: Great Britain is the name of the largest island in Europe, on which you'll find the majority of England, Scotland and Wales. The United Kingdom is the political entity that is, officially, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. This also includes the islands surrounding the island of Great Britain which also come under British sovereign rule, even though this isn't expressly stated.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Great Britain is, or was at least, a geographical term for the large area inhabited by Britons. What would you call the island that forms the major part of England, Wales and Scotland?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Never noticed before but if we can let Northern Ireland be represented by an 'N' then set em all together and you get N, E, S & W....

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The British Isles in olden times relates to England, Ireland, Scotland & Wales so technically the area is British or Britain, so I guess Great Britain is a sub area of Britain.

That said if we all ended up being Catholic or Protestant Great Britain would have encompassed the whole area.

That's the way I see it anyway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't think that's strictly true. The land mass on which we're currently stood would still be known as Great Britian, regardless of the political status of the countries that occupy it.

Much like the island of Hispaniola would remain Hispaniola even if Haiti and the Dominican Republic decided to join forces and become one nation (which would never happen anyway). The island has one name and the countries on that island have their own names. Similarly Borneo remains Borneo, regardless of how Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei choose to split it up amongst themselves.

Thus, in the plainest terms, in answer to your original question: Great Britain is the name of the largest island in Europe, on which you'll find the majority of England, Scotland and Wales. The United Kingdom is the political entity that is, officially, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. This also includes the islands surrounding the island of Great Britain which also come under British sovereign rule, even though this isn't expressly stated.

i can see your point. though theres no "less" or "lesser" Britain to contrast and we typically just refer to Britain. they arent called the "great british isles" for example. my main point was objecting to the idea that Great Britain isnt a political term when theres a treaty that says otherwise.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
i can see your point. though theres no "less" or "lesser" Britain to contrast and we typically just refer to Britain. they arent called the "great british isles" for example. my main point was objecting to the idea that Great Britain isnt a political term when theres a treaty that says otherwise.

It has two connotations.

Great Britain as a geographic entity refers solely to the single island that houses most of the nation as we know it.

Great Britain as a political entity is the name given to the majority of the UK, excluding Northern Ireland. This includes much of the outlying islands such as the Isle of Wight and the Isles of Scilly but excludes the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

Therefore whilst the political Great Britain could change, the geographical one won't, or at least is very unlikely to (the Scots could always dig a trench so deep they separate themselves from us I suppose, although I think they're more keen on walls).

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I thought smart phones had effectively ended the pub argument. Much duller places now.

Who played drums on Love me do??
It was Ringo Starr, no it was Pete Best
Cue 3hr argument which spin off in various other arguments and insults and end in a fight or a declaration of love!

Now someone looks on wikipedia and gets an answer in 2 seconds.... Best, Starr and a session drummer called Andy White all had versions. Argument over.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.

Um, yes there is as several have pointed out. There were two Britains for a while and the French chose to call one (now Brittany) "little Britain" and the other "great britain". Pretty sure it's not a secret. Think they decided it about 600 years ago. Just saying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here