Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PS3 Slim

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
Anyone getting a PS3 Slim when they come out on Tuesday? Am thinking about getting one but should I go with the PS3 Phat or X-Box? Or just stick with my Wii and PC?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Anyone getting a PS3 Slim when they come out on Tuesday? Am thinking about getting one but should I go with the PS3 Phat or X-Box? Or just stick with my Wii and PC?

oh here we go again ... DING DING round 120(ish)

I have a 360 and love it , it does everything I want it to do , fantastic selection of games etc,etc..

I had the PS1 and PS2 (also a PSP) so i'm not ANTI-Playstations , just not been overlly impressed from what I've seen PS3 wise , the price does put me off I admit but if there was enough to draw me into it I'd get it , theres just not enough for your case I feel.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I have a PS3, they're ok. Pretty much the same as the sexbox. I just prefer the PS3 controller.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
oh here we go again ... DING DING round 120(ish)

I have a 360 and love it , it does everything I want it to do , fantastic selection of games etc,etc..

I had the PS1 and PS2 (also a PSP) so i'm not ANTI-Playstations , just not been overlly impressed from what I've seen PS3 wise , the price does put me off I admit but if there was enough to draw me into it I'd get it , theres just not enough for your case I feel.

Seconded. Another former PS fan who defected once the 360 came out.

If the PS3 was £179 (360 price) I would CONSIDER it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Got a PS3 (or at least the boy has). I quite like the "old" style big shiney one, rather than this smaller slim PS2-style one. Give me the big shiney top any day. AND the blu-ray swung it. Fits nicely into my unit with the Sky box, Wii, normal DVD player and the tellybox.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
After years of PS1, PS2 and PS3 my hands are locked in PS controller position so XBox has never been an option. That ring of fire thing they have sounds painfukl too so I'm sticking with my black box.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Might get one later in the year. Hopefully prices will have dropped by then in the price wars running up to christmas.

Not much of a gamer now so only want it for GTA4 mainly and GT5 whenever that is! Whats online like on the PS3? Read somewhere that its free unlike the XBOX, is that true?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Boris, if you want to play Halo then get an XBox.

If you're not bothered about Halo but want a machine that gives you the same games as the XBox but with a built in Blu Ray player and free access to the Playstation Network(you have to pay for the Xbox equivalent) then get a PS3.

Graphics are the same, sound is the same!

PS3s are ramping up their sales and so games manufacturers will start producing more software for the PS3 than the XBox over the next 3 years.

You can get an 80gb PS3 with Ghostbusters for £239.97 in Sainsbury's at the moment.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Boris, if you want to play Halo then get an XBox.

If you're not bothered about Halo but want a machine that gives you the same games as the XBox but with a built in Blu Ray player and free access to the Playstation Network(you have to pay for the Xbox equivalent) then get a PS3.

Graphics are the same, sound is the same!

PS3s are ramping up their sales and so games manufacturers will start producing more software for the PS3 than the XBox over the next 3 years.

You can get an 80gb PS3 with Ghostbusters for £239.97 in Sainsbury's at the moment.

Just to balance the above out (NOT looking for a binfest), genuine information for anyone looking to choose one or t'other:

Xbox 360s are comfortably outselling PS3s in hardware and software currently, and PS3 have lost a vast amount of their exclusive content over to Xbox360, so the suggestion that there will be more software for the PS3 seems unfounded to me.

YES, you do pay a yearly fee of around £30 for XboxLIVE. There is a reason for this fee though, and it is well worth paying. Free gaming updates and add ons, an EXCELLENT industry-leading competitive online service, Facebook, Twitter, Last.fm, NetFlix and loads more.

Xbox360 can BREAK. So can PS3s. Microsoft's service if or when a breakage occurs is fantastic, a new model received within a week plus 3 months of free Xbox Live.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Halo's a bit out of date, and frankly rubbish. Try Gears or War 1 and 2, Bioshock 1 and 2 earlier than PS3, Oblivion, Left4Dead etc, etc.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
do not like the look of the new PS3 slim line. the slim PS2 and the PS one were also ugly.

thankful i have a standard ps3 (80g) suits me fine, and doesnt look cheap like the new slim line.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As we're on a computer-gamey thread, whats peoples take on Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare ? (PS3). I got stuck into this the other night, and whilst its clearly a brilliantly put together game, I didn't like the fact that I was running around with a whole PLATOON of soldiers who were pretty much doing all the shooting for me. It seems like I could quite easily have gone into "coward" mode, hung back and let them get on with it.

Prefer the Medal of Honour type thing where I'm on my own really.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
do not like the look of the new PS3 slim line. the slim PS2 and the PS one were also ugly.

thankful i have a standard ps3 (80g) suits me fine, and doesnt look cheap like the new slim line.

slim-ps3-rumor.jpg
070214_playstation3.jpg

Agreed.
I prefer the original PS3 to the PS3 Slim. It looks like it means BUSINESS.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Not looking for a binfest either...but:

YES, you do pay a yearly fee of around £30 for XboxLIVE
PS3 is free.
Free gaming updates and add ons
You get all this with PS3 too
EXCELLENT industry-leading competitive online service
The PlayStation Network is pretty comparable in terms of feature sets IMHO.

I'm more tempted to get one because of the price cut - not the new slimline design.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I had the X-Box 360 and gave it away and got a PS3.

PS3 gaming online is free, unlike Xbox
PS3 plays blu ray - good for movie and games alike
And the clincher, the 360 is sooo f***ing noisy. The fan is on all the time, and it can sounds like having the hoover on in the background, whereas PS3 is whisper quiet.

PS3 all day for me.

seagull@stirling

Jan 17, 2006
MAG
Uncharted 2
God of War III
Rain
The Agency
Gran Turismo 5 (1000 cars btw)

what has the xbox got exclusive coming out in the next 6 months, another halo or maybe another Gears of War. The 360 has had it's day in the sunshine as top dog this generation (wii is not this generation it's not even HD).

Also you talk about price, the 360 "elite" which is the only one that can match the PS3 is £220 (on play) and still has no Blu Ray player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here