Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Protesters scaling the Shard. Hope they fall off.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
the oil industry basically keeps you alive mate. i take it you dont live a pastoral existence.

Yawn yawn. I think you have the wrong end of the stick.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
im not defending the status quo. i think it would be amazing if we could have a pollution free alternative to petrol/diesel. not even pollution free, just better. engines are horribily inefficient. biofuels or electic would be so much better, just need to make shift, solve some logistical hurdles. oh and make them economically viable. bugger, theres the trouble you see. oil is literally dirt cheap and we are hooked on it.

what i was doing was challenging the idea that there are all these alternatives available. Tesla was a master inventor but you're off to batshitland if you think he invented items that have never been seen or heard of since, either in the west wanting to gain a commercial advantage, or Russia/China just doing their thing their way. this is flaw for all the claims of alternative power, the most alternative nations havent used them. either they dont exist, or dont scale (easy to create something in a lab that doesnt work in real worl applications.

but you carry on, i assume you are using a water powered generator to power your computer, which was made from environmentally friendly silicon and rare earths, and your network connection is via Unicorn hairs.

So, in summary, you're saying because something doesn't currently exist it cannot be invented? Or have I misunderstood your rather odd reply?

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Beyond all the 'do we need oil?' discussion, the killer fact is that, based on mainstream science, we (humans) can only afford to burn less than a quarter of the oil, coal and gas reserves we've already identified - or we head into 'dangerous climate change' territory.

So the idea of exploring for more is bizarre. It's like being told you're dying from lung cancer, and going out on a duty-free ciggy-buying binge, when you already have a roomful of tabs at home. I wonder if it's a displacement activity so the oil companies can avoid the fact that they are therefore sitting on massively over-valued assets ...

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Beyond all the 'do we need oil?' discussion, the killer fact is that, based on mainstream science, we (humans) can only afford to burn less than a quarter of the oil, coal and gas reserves we've already identified - or we head into 'dangerous climate change' territory.

So the idea of exploring for more is bizarre. It's like being told you're dying from lung cancer, and going out on a duty-free ciggy-buying binge, when you already have a roomful of tabs at home. I wonder if it's a displacement activity so the oil companies can avoid the fact that they are therefore sitting on massively over-valued assets ...

But each of these "identified" oil deposits have different extraction costs, if you've identified a well that costs $80/barrel to extract from it makes sense to look elsewhere for oil that can be extracted for $40/barrel. It doesn't mean all of that oil will definitely be extracted and burnt; if the market price stays at $70/barrel then it'll never be viable to start drilling the more expensive stuff, and the statistic of "all the oil, coal and gas that we've identified" is a bit of a distortion, since we've identified quite a lot that will probably never be extracted (e.g. in Antarctica).

Supply and demand are the reason people are drilling for more oil, my own opinion is that supply and demand will be the reason they stop- rather than some activists doing some stunt with zero tangible link to the problem, whose aim is to get people to sign an online petition which, I'm afraid, will probably not change anything apart from absolve the signatories of some of their guilt for driving to work and buying cheap plane tickets on their summer holidays.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So, in summary, you're saying because something doesn't currently exist it cannot be invented? Or have I misunderstood your rather odd reply?

maybe try reading the context? some are saying theres alternative fuels and technologies that big oil have brought up and hidden or suppressed. i'm asking for evidence for that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Let me guess.

A massive thread has been started by a renowned idiot moaning about people protesting about the conduct of wealthiest industry in the world, and beorhthelm is all over it.

Without reading all 130 posts, can I conclude that beorhthelm is defending the status quo?

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
But each of these "identified" oil deposits have different extraction costs, if you've identified a well that costs $80/barrel to extract from it makes sense to look elsewhere for oil that can be extracted for $40/barrel. It doesn't mean all of that oil will definitely be extracted and burnt; if the market price stays at $70/barrel then it'll never be viable to start drilling the more expensive stuff, and the statistic of "all the oil, coal and gas that we've identified" is a bit of a distortion, since we've identified quite a lot that will probably never be extracted (e.g. in Antarctica).

Supply and demand are the reason people are drilling for more oil, my own opinion is that supply and demand will be the reason they stop- rather than some activists doing some stunt with zero tangible link to the problem, whose aim is to get people to sign an online petition which, I'm afraid, will probably not change anything apart from absolve the signatories of some of their guilt for driving to work and buying cheap plane tickets on their summer holidays.

Excellent post.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Without reading all 130 posts, can I conclude that beorhthelm is defending the status quo?

i will admit to liking "rocking all over the world", for the party fun, but not really my cup of tea otherwise.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Let me guess.

A massive thread has been started by a renowned idiot moaning about people protesting about the conduct of wealthiest industry in the world, and beorhthelm is all over it.

NSC is becoming very predictable. It will only be a few weeks and we will have "why do we need a Gay Pride" thread. I think I just need "Best Curry House in Brighton" for my NSC Bingo full house.

PS I do not exclude myself from being predictable either. I'm as guilty as everyone else.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
i will admit to liking "rocking all over the world", for the party fun, but not really my cup of tea otherwise.
Quo did a decent job on this song but I prefer the original version.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

mikehand

Aug 5, 2007
...an online petition which, I'm afraid, will probably not change anything apart from absolve the signatories of some of their guilt for driving to work and buying cheap plane tickets on their summer holidays.

This argument – that if you drive a car, you have no right to complain about Oil companies – is ludicrous, but lots of people here seem to think it's valid!

If you believe this, then next time you have something to say about the Albion (poor results? inflated prices?) I will expect all of you to burn your shirts and tear up your season tickets before logging on to NSC to complain.

Quo did a decent job on this song but I prefer the original version.

But I prefer the Dave Edmunds cover of "Almost Saturday Night" to his original version, but this has nothing to do with people climbing the Shard.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There are way too many reactionaries on this forum these days, with witless knee jerk reactions about everything, but little or no actual knowledge of what they are tediously pontificating about

Dandyman

In London village.
There are way too many reactionaries on this forum these days, with witless knee jerk reactions about everything, but little or no actual knowledge of what they are tediously pontificating about

Mixture of JCLs and kids being allowed to stay up late.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
This argument – that if you drive a car, you have no right to complain about Oil companies – is ludicrous, but lots of people here seem to think it's valid!

If you believe this, then next time you have something to say about the Albion (poor results? inflated prices?) I will expect all of you to burn your shirts and tear up your season tickets before logging on to NSC to complain.

or get some yoghurt weavers from southover street to scale the pepperpot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here