Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Protesters scaling the Shard. Hope they fall off.

Given how corrupt and bullying the oil industry is I fully support Greenpeace this time. Seriously, why the hell do we intend to ruin one of the few relatively untouched habitats on the planet in our greed for oil ?

Could not agree more. We are committing ecocide on an epic scale. Anyone who doubts this needs to look at pictures of the Canadian Tar sands project. If this continues, then a boreal forest the size of Florida will be gone. Birds have to be deterred from flying over it because they fall down dead from the sky. An accident in the Arctic would be absolutely devastating.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You have to be joking with this post. if not, you are a complete ignorant fool. Do some research into Shell.....and alternate energies to oil (and see how they were quashed).....and while your at it, check out the 200k kids murdered in Iraq....for oil.

yes, people wanting a better world are idiots........sigh.

I am guessing you vote for the Green Party, wear animal furs, and walk everywhere?

The kids murdered in Iraq is a result of America's need to interfere where they're not needed (and Tony Blair's need to be America's friend) and the ongoing dispute with the Shiites and the Sunnis, two branches of the same religion who believe killing each other is the best way forward. Oil was no doubt part of the reason the USA became involved, but what exactly has that got to do with Shell? Oh, sorry, you probably believe they run the US government.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Ignoring all the other issues in discussion here I thought this was a pretty poor piece of modern P.C. Public Relations:
"The Shard continues to work with the emergency services and we are in constant discussion with the Greenpeace representatives to ensure the safety of the protestors.

"We have asked them to stop climbing and come back into the building as what they are doing is dangerous. We take security, health and safety of all our occupiers and visitors to the building extremely seriously.

"The protestors have gained access in the early hours of the morning through an adjacent building and what they are doing is extremely dangerous."

A spokesman for the Metropolitan police confirmed protesters had gained access to the building.

"We were called at 4.20am today to a group of protesters attempting to climb up the Shard," he said. "We are in attendance and monitoring the situation along with British Transport Police."

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Wow.

A six page NSC thread about something some (heroic) women are doing.

And not one poster has commented on their looks.

I might just cry with joy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just about to come on the National News in Australia. Climb a building, get people talking, highlight the problems being caused, change a few minds. Working wonders from what I can see.

Quite. 6 pages of debate on this small chat room alone. I imagine the main thrust of the climb is to raise awareness and stimulate debate so it has worked wonders....and suckered Goldstone into helping promote their cause as well.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
We do need more oil. We need to cool our houses down, and we need more oil powered air conditioning units to do that.

World's problems solved. Global warming counter-acted.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
I am guessing you vote for the Green Party, wear animal furs, and walk everywhere?

nope, don't vote......its a one party system mate....elite group of corps and banks......no one else can get in.

wear furs? you mean wear dead animals? prefer not to really.

walk everywhere?....no, i need to drive and hence buy crazy priced fuel that could be replaced with free energy - hence my support of the protestors.

i suppose you eat meat, genetically modified food, give monsanto money, and vote labor or conv?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
nope, don't vote......its a one party system mate....elite group of corps and banks......no one else can get in.

Wear furs? You mean wear dead animals? Prefer not to really.

Walk everywhere?....no, i need to drive and hence buy crazy priced fuel that could be replaced with free energy - hence my support of the protestors.

I suppose you eat meat, genetically modified food, give monsanto money, and vote labor or conv?

down with thatcher!

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
Could not agree more. We are committing ecocide on an epic scale. Anyone who doubts this needs to look at pictures of the Canadian Tar sands project. If this continues, then a boreal forest the size of Florida will be gone. Birds have to be deterred from flying over it because they fall down dead from the sky. An accident in the Arctic would be absolutely devastating.

If that happens we could build another Disney world and golf courses on the land... Every cloud...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
here you are again defending the wonderful status quo.....sigh.

research Tesla, watch "who killed the electric car," or investigate the water powered engine.

no place to critisice Shell or BP...? are you for real? you have to be a troll of some sort, or just completely ignorant.....i go with troll....or maybe even an internet bot that goes to forums in some status quo equilibrium maintaining algorithm.

im not defending the status quo. i think it would be amazing if we could have a pollution free alternative to petrol/diesel. not even pollution free, just better. engines are horribily inefficient. biofuels or electic would be so much better, just need to make shift, solve some logistical hurdles. oh and make them economically viable. bugger, theres the trouble you see. oil is literally dirt cheap and we are hooked on it.

what i was doing was challenging the idea that there are all these alternatives available. Tesla was a master inventor but you're off to batshitland if you think he invented items that have never been seen or heard of since, either in the west wanting to gain a commercial advantage, or Russia/China just doing their thing their way. this is flaw for all the claims of alternative power, the most alternative nations havent used them. either they dont exist, or dont scale (easy to create something in a lab that doesnt work in real worl applications.

but you carry on, i assume you are using a water powered generator to power your computer, which was made from environmentally friendly silicon and rare earths, and your network connection is via Unicorn hairs.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

wear furs? you mean wear dead animals? prefer not to really.

walk everywhere?....no, i need to drive and hence buy crazy priced fuel that could be replaced with free energy - hence my support of the protestors.

i suppose you eat meat, genetically modified food, give monsanto money, and vote labor or conv?

Another thing you don't do which you missed off your list ... use capitals ...

And seeing as you're interested ... I do eat meat, but not as much as many; I have no problem with GM food; I would never ever under any circumstances vote labor (or even labour); I might vote conv if I had heard of them, but I'll most likely vote UKIP at the next election.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
the oil industry basically keeps you alive mate. i take it you dont live a pastoral existence.

It would be pointless to disagree about the amount of power and influence oil companies have over our day to day activities and as you rightly point out. That doesn't mean i agree with it or that its the only way we can power our lives. On top of that some of their agendas and practises in less developed countries are nothing less then explotative, unethical and amoral.

Those women are amazing for what there doing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here