Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Protecting the FA Cup

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The problem of the FA cup goes far wider than the FA or England. It's FIFA AND UEFA. They don't want any but the very biggest sides (by that I mean richest...so anyone that's got money eg Chelsea rather than say Steau B.) playing each other week in week out. Hence the creation of the Champions cough League. At that moment, the FA Cup became fifth priority. There's also not a cat in hells chance UEFA-FIFA would allow a team outside those they want to see play in the Champions League even if the FA cup winnners were granted entry. The risk of eg Coventry, Wimbledon, Portsmouth, Wigan etc winning and qualifying to play Barcelona etc would be deemed too high risk. Don't forget this is BUSINESS. They don't want TV audiences watching that. Who the feck in China has heard of 2004 finalists Millwall? Jesus Christ people, can you imagine if they'd have won how much CASH might have been lost to UEFAs Smaug-like hoard? Billions might not have watched the following seasons CL early rounds meaning less marketing collateral. This is why the 'level-playing field' was tilted 90 degrees back in the mid 90s.

I'm afraid the FA cup will never be what it once was. The game is run by corporate sociopaths who are never satisfied by their greed. They own all the rights to their ball. Including who plays with it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
15 points would mean a lot to even these teams?

If you did that you'd totally devalue hard-fought points won in a league and, in turn, devalue promotion and relegation.

There is no way to fix the FA Cup without devaluing other competitions.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
The format of the cup has worked well for decades, clubs are resting players for possible financial gain in the league.

The only way you can force clubs not to make changes is to either issue big fines or deduct points. Problem with this is too many governing bodies FA, Premier and FL.

Sadly it's become more about money than pride.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The format of the cup has worked well for decades, clubs are resting players for possible financial gain in the league.

The only way you can force clubs not to make changes is to either issue big fines or deduct points. Problem with this is too many governing bodies FA, Premier and FL.

Sadly it's become more about money than pride.

For the people who run the game, yes.
For us the fans though it can be all about the pride. Personally I have no interest in discussions about transfer fees and player wages. That includes such discussions on NSC. Yesterday was a great FA Cup day out at a sold out ground and that's all that matters. The money men can't take that away.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Scrap the league cup, only have one cup competition which starts a little earlier and allows for a winter break. The FA cup final should be the final curtain on the football season on a Saturday at 3pm.

Can it start any earlier? There are so many qualifying rounds it might not be possible. I agree with ditching the league cup, it makes sense to do one cup properly rather than two half arsed.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
What I'm more intrigued about is why teams need to rest their entire first team. Is there any evidence that a cup run hurts a promotion bid?

Good question and answer as far as Championship is concerned is equivocal because there has been a paucity of top Championship teams reaching the later stages of FA Cup for a considerable period. The competition seems to be polarising into 'shock teams' who play first team players and the very top teams whose second teams are good enough to beat anyone.

But take Lincoln - they are still in FA Trophy and will have 7 games in 22 days from 14 jan to 4 feb; already two games off the pace in NL, with FGR and Daggers on their heels. Albion are already having to patch up the first team with no recognised RB and only one attacker against Cardiff, surely we don't want to risk injury, tiredness, loss of form, suspension on other players?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Hindsight:

I saw David Beckham's debut and felt cheated that Ryan Giggs did not play at the Goldstone.

Then at Old Trafford, I wished Ryan Giggs was taken off before the last minute.

I think playing a few reserves helps the lower club to try and play football like Wycombe. However, the fans want to see the big stars in the flesh. Lincoln will.

PS: this season, I got the draw I wanted and we still lost (rather than Lincoln winning it).

Two own goals in recent games is worrying.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Alan Shearer critical of FA Cup team selection as Premier League clubs make changes

Clubs making wholesale changes are "cheating fans" out of an FA Cup run, according to BBC pundit Alan Shearer.

Championship sides facing lower-league opposition rotated players, with Leeds making 10 changes, while Brighton and Newcastle made nine.

quote_icon.png
Clubs care about money while fans care about trophies. That's very unfortunate,

It's just crazy, I don't understand it. I'm all for bringing kids into the team but not seven or eight of them. Six rounds from the third round to the final, it's not asking a lot is it?

Is he right? Has he got a point? Who cares?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38788645

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Alan Shearer critical of FA Cup team selection as Premier League clubs make changes

Clubs making wholesale changes are "cheating fans" out of an FA Cup run, according to BBC pundit Alan Shearer.

Championship sides facing lower-league opposition rotated players, with Leeds making 10 changes, while Brighton and Newcastle made nine.

Is he right? Has he got a point? Who cares?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38788645

What is cheating the fans more, playing the fringe players against a cup side, or potentially risking promotion/relegation.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The problem of the FA cup goes far wider than the FA or England. It's FIFA AND UEFA. They don't want any but the very biggest sides (by that I mean richest...so anyone that's got money eg Chelsea rather than say Steau B.) playing each other week in week out. Hence the creation of the Champions cough League. At that moment, the FA Cup became fifth priority. There's also not a cat in hells chance UEFA-FIFA would allow a team outside those they want to see play in the Champions League even if the FA cup winnners were granted entry. The risk of eg Coventry, Wimbledon, Portsmouth, Wigan etc winning and qualifying to play Barcelona etc would be deemed too high risk. Don't forget this is BUSINESS. They don't want TV audiences watching that. Who the feck in China has heard of 2004 finalists Millwall? Jesus Christ people, can you imagine if they'd have won how much CASH might have been lost to UEFAs Smaug-like hoard? Billions might not have watched the following seasons CL early rounds meaning less marketing collateral. This is why the 'level-playing field' was tilted 90 degrees back in the mid 90s.

I'm afraid the FA cup will never be what it once was. The game is run by corporate sociopaths who are never satisfied by their greed. They own all the rights to their ball. Including who plays with it.

Why should a team that wins 7 games get a place in the CL over a side that has got in the top 4 over the course of the season?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Look at the sides still in the FA cup, all qualified for last years CL

8/11 last winners qualified for the CL

1 of the losing finalists qualified for the CL

apart from the fact UEFA would never allow it, its not the "bigger" clubs not taking it seriously that are ruining it.

Er, that's the whole point! To give all clubs that incentive and therefore get them to take it seriously, rather than just the big clubs that can afford to.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why should a team that wins 7 games get a place in the CL over a side that has got in the top 4 over the course of the season?

You tell me. I didn't say they did.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Er, that's the whole point! To give all clubs that incentive and therefore get them to take it seriously, rather than just the big clubs that can afford to.

Certain clubs wont take it seriously no matter what you throw in, even if you weigh up the CL riches - £30 millionish a season, it still doesn't match up to the riches from staying in the PL/getting promoted - £70/£80 million - plus the following seasons money.

As pointed out, the only way to improve the FA cup is by devaluing the league/s.

How about removing one of the Automatic promotion places for the Championship and give them to the Championship team that goes the furthest, that would make the Championship teams take it seriously.

The timing of the FA cup is all wrong, round 3 is in the busiest time of the season, which means clubs will rest players after playing 4 games in 10 days - move it to an earlier week.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Can it start any earlier? There are so many qualifying rounds it might not be possible. I agree with ditching the league cup, it makes sense to do one cup properly rather than two half arsed.

Scrap the early qualifying rounds and base entry on league finishing position to get it down to the right number. Would mean less dead rubbers in the lower leagues at the end of the season.

Scrap replays so the blank mid-weeks are not required - Extra time and penalties straight away.

Play the 3rd round before xmas.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Cup shocks just aren't the same now. The Leeds exit of 82 places was up there with Newcastle Hereford, Man U Bournemouth, just really just isn't a big deal anymore

A CL spot is really the only fix out there, but it won't happen the PL is just too powerful now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here