Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proposal for all German immigrants to be 'encouraged' to speak German, even at home

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Good way of helping integration in my opinion. There a people in this country who's English is quite frankly awful and there is no effort to remedy it.

Could we have that again in English please?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
just as well us & the yanks got over the rhine when we did

they'ed all be speaking russian by now

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Well if Germany is at the centre of Europe geographically, politically, and of course economically then surely the only sensible solution is to widen this language question a tad, and have a policy whereby German becomes the official language of the whole continent - including peripheral lands such as the British Isles. One language, one federal government, and one currency, much simpler for all?

One empire, one people?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A chap I knew married a French air hostess who spoke some English but he didnt speak French so she spoke to him in English to help her and he answered in French to help him. Their young son spoke both languages fluently and helped the teacher at school with the children who struggled learning French.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I love Turkey and Turkish people - but God help Europe if they joined the EU! - not that they want to join anyway.

This story is probably related to the massive communities of Turks in Germany, many of whom won't speak the language.

Turkish nationalists forced non turkish (greek) speaking Muslims to speak turkish in cyprus in fear of very heavy sanctions indeed during the 60s.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Oh do fvck off , he left a letter out of a word, it was a perfectly coherent sentence, far more so than many immigrants can manage.

I remember arriving at Gatwick many many years ago and not being able to speak one coherent word of English. Mind you a weekend in Amsterdam can do that to you.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Oh do fvck off , he left a letter out of a word, it was a perfectly coherent sentence, far more so than many immigrants can manage.

Actually he left two letters out, honestly Bushy you count worse than an immigrant.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A chap I knew married a French air hostess who spoke some English but he didnt speak French so she spoke to him in English to help her and he answered in French to help him. Their young son spoke both languages fluently and helped the teacher at school with the children who struggled learning French.

I think I follow this.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Keep your hair on!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had some Xmas cake yesterday. My friend asked if it was stollen? No, I bought it from a shop.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Proposal for all German immigrants to be 'encouraged' to speak German, even a...

I can't understand the hostility towards people who speak more than one language. There's been a lot of research undertaken and those who are bi/multilingual live longer, have a reduced chance of developing dementia, can multitask more efficiently, earn more and develop a higher IQ than those that don't. My wife has been a primary school head in a non-affluent catchment area and she says most of the kids from a migrant family where more than one language is spoken do extremely well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can't understand the hostility towards people who speak more than one language. There's been a lot of research undertaken and those who are bi/multilingual live longer, have a reduced chance of developing dementia, can multitask more efficiently, earn more and develop a higher IQ than those that don't. My wife has been a primary school head in a non-affluent catchment area and she says most of the kids from a migrant family where more than one language is spoken do extremely well.

True. The world is becoming a smaller place and people move around a lot more than they used to. It's never a bad thing to learn a new language but getting up-tight about people who don't is a waste a time.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
True. The world is becoming a smaller place and people move around a lot more than they used to. It's never a bad thing to learn a new language but getting up-tight about people who don't is a waste a time.

You have to admit though in the post kemalist attitude towards turkification linguistically it's somewhat ironic for people to kick against it when the boots on the other foot

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here