Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proper barbershop cut throat razor shave

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I don't understand what an arm massage has in connection with getting a shave?

It probably helps relax the arm muscles after you've been tightly gripping the arms of the barber's chair in sheer terror of the sharp razors, tapers, blowtorches and hot wax.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
There is a proper Turkish Barbers near the Station in Worthing. £16 for haircut and Turkish Shave - magic.

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
My local barber in Crystal Palace is turkish and he does a fantastic haircut and shave. Only problem is you never know when he's gonna be there. He seems to open when he feels like. And he moans all the way through it about his life. He also burns any hairs on your ear off with a piece of what looks like cotton wool which he sets alight with a blowtorch. Very disconcerting.

Sorry where is that again ?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Wet shave turkish barber style is a great treat. Recommend Sharp Scissors in Kemptown, hot towels a good lather, various lotions rubbed on your face and a bit of an arm massage. They also trimmed my nose hair and eyebrows and burnt off my ear hair (all optional) - not sure whether thats part of a shave or a haircut though as I had both on my last visit.

Kemp Town - Do they do back, sack and crack as well?!?!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Got back from Turkey this morning. Think they were charging £2 or £3 for a proper shave. Was tempted to have it done as by the last day I'd quite a bit of stubble, however having had an earthquake measuring 6.0 on the Richter Scale, I had various thoughts in my mind as to the consequences if another earthquake were to hit us mid shave.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
there is a parade of shops round the front of Worthing Railway Station, ( Near to the Tesco Express on the Corner ) . There you will find a Turkish Barbers. if in England I go there.

you get a sharp looking hair cut, hairwash, cut throat shave, hot towel, after shave ( More after shock ) and head massage. all for £16! really worth the trip.

There is a proper Turkish Barbers near the Station in Worthing. £16 for haircut and Turkish Shave - magic.
Cheers chaps.

If I can maintain my current sunny disposition I may well pop along Saturday afternoon.
I assume I don't have to book, even for a proper deforestation.

I was called Hangover Alan, at work today!

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
Does any of the ones In Brighton do the head also as I need to get my barnet done and using Bics Is no fun lol

Oddsocks

May 1, 2012
Gwyder Barbers in Palmeira Square (basement of Gwyder Mansions) is the oldest Barbers and still most traditional barbers in Brighton and Hove. Circa 140 years! They do wet shaves. You even get to sit on the original barbers chairs that have always been there!

I do believe they even still offer you 'something for the weekend' !!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Gwyder Barbers in Palmeira Square (basement of Gwyder Mansions) is the oldest Barbers and still most traditional barbers in Brighton and Hove. Circa 140 years! They do wet shaves. You even get to sit on the original barbers chairs that have always been there!

I do believe they even still offer you 'something for the weekend' !!

The shop and chairs are cool, wasn't too impressed by the cut or the shave when I went though.
(oh and its GWYDYR - and no I don't know how you say it)

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Cheers chaps.

If I can maintain my current sunny disposition I may well pop along Saturday afternoon.
I assume I don't have to book, even for a proper deforestation.

I was called Hangover Alan, at work today!
no bookings, you just have to sit and wait. They're open Sundays as well but no set opening time. he usually gets there beteween 10 and 11.
enjoy!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have done it, I no longer look like Olof Mellberg.
Which is a shame because as I was waiting, sat opposite the mirror my hair was just being to have a creditable 'dragged through the hedge backwards', look.

Anyhoo, the Turkish barbers in Worthing.
Positives:-
The full kit and kaboodle, washing, cut, shave, head massage, ears singed, eyebrows, nose. £16 (£20 no change asked for).
I was sat there for nearly an hour (reasons to be explained in a mo), being pampered and tidied up.
Pretty much the most amount of care an attention I've ever received, in 42 years, and very good it was too.

Negatives:-
The fella sliced my chin off.
Judging by his reaction he has never done it before, or he's an Oscar winning actor, because he was in pieces.
I kept saying it was fine, even though the blood flow took some stemming.
He's coming at me with a cut throat razor, sh*t happens.
To his credit he tried to only charge me a tenner, but I was having none of it, hence even leaving a tip.

I'll definitely be doing it again, it's cheaper than Gillette Mach17 super hydro turbo blades, but if he cuts me again, it'll all be over.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I have done it, I no longer look like Olof Mellberg.
Which is a shame because as I was waiting, sat opposite the mirror my hair was just being to have a creditable 'dragged through the hedge backwards', look.

Anyhoo, the Turkish barbers in Worthing.
Positives:-
The full kit and kaboodle, washing, cut, shave, head massage, ears singed, eyebrows, nose. £16 (£20 no change asked for).
I was sat there for nearly an hour (reasons to be explained in a mo), being pampered and tidied up.
Pretty much the most amount of care an attention I've ever received, in 42 years, and very good it was too.

Negatives:-
The fella sliced my chin off.
Judging by his reaction he has never done it before, or he's an Oscar winning actor, because he was in pieces.
I kept saying it was fine, even though the blood flow took some stemming.
He's coming at me with a cut throat razor, sh*t happens.
To his credit he tried to only charge me a tenner, but I was having none of it, hence even leaving a tip.

I'll definitely be doing it again, it's cheaper than Gillette Mach17 super hydro turbo blades, but if he cuts me again, it'll all be over.
Have you been back?

Wouldn't put me off. Had hundreds of shaves in Turkey . Never been cut before I paid 35TL for all of above last year. That's about £8 with tip.

Noticed a Turkish barbers in Burgess Hill the other day. Will be paying it a visit.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
A proper wet shave from a decent barber is an absolute treat. The trouble is, you don't know who's decent until after the event. I had one on holiday once and ended up looking like I'd had a narrow escape from Sweeney Todd
Yup same here, had a couple of shaves in Turkey. First one was excellent performed by the owner, second time I went I was the victim of the understudy and looked as if I my throat had been cut. Be warned a shave in Turkey means your eyebrows butchered, ear hair burnt out and every joint cracked in a 20 minute torture. Has to be done though. (Not for the faint hearted believe me)

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Been using the barbers in Portslade for the past ten years - a great bunch :thumbsup:
When the bloke from Istanbul gives me a close shave I always remind him of his forthcoming tip if I survive his cut throat razor antics :eek:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
'The Goodfellas Art of Turkish Barbering' at Preston Circus looks the real deal. If I didn't have longtime brand loyalty to Jools & Geordie Paul shop in Baker Street, that's where I'd go

:thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have you been back?

Wouldn't put me off. Had hundreds of shaves in Turkey . Never been cut before I paid 35TL for all of above last year. That's about £8 with tip.

Noticed a Turkish barbers in Burgess Hill the other day. Will be paying it a visit.
I think I went back one more time.

But looking like Brian Blessed, after he's let himself go, wasn't conducive to getting myself back to cycling fit.
So although still prone to 'Paddy McCourt' weeks, I tend to not get so out of control I need professional help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here