Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proms. Last night.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
It’s pretty inconvenient when many Black people don’t take the knee to BLM. BLM is a Marxist organisation.

As far as I am concerned, “All Lives Matter”. We are all equal. There should be no discrimination, and that also means positive discrimination. Everyone should be treated the same, I know we’re not allowed to say stuff like this though, as it’s not woke enough,

The UK is one of the most tolerant, racially diverse countries in the world. However, the woke generation seem to take pleasure is taking offence over minor things, which, IMO, will cause more problems In race relations than the so called transgressions.

Also, the guy who was killed when the policeman knelt on his neck (sorry, I’ve forgotten his name) was a scum bag (he’d previously shot a pregnant woman in the stomach), so the faux outrage over his death was just an excuse. No, he didn’t deserve to die, but don’t treat him like some fvcking choir boy.

If Black Lives Matter to blacks so much, why do more blacks die at the hands of blacks than whites?

Spot on

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Nottinghill Carnival. :lolol: That is brilliant. You can get white tickets for it if you enter the ballot in time. :thumbsup:

Carnival is all good famm, it’s all about stabbing me beeech up, homophobia,n****r this,n*****r that and popping caps in gangstaaaas arses.
Nothing to offensive..
Right up the BBCs alley.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The organisers have stated the changes are temporary to account for Covid regulations and these versions are to make it sound better while they can only have limited people performing. They have also stated that when it is safe, normal performance will resume.

Gammons, don’t panic. Your fears are unfounded :)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Jerusalem, now there's a quandary.

For years regarded as a nationalistic anthem, then Billy Bragg had a bash at it. I recall, in the sleeve notes I believe, him claiming it to be political and 'for the masses'.

Who knows?

Of course it's political, and revolutionary. Try reading the words. It's hymn about Social Justice.

It talks about "dark satanic mills", talks about being armed, and is about "until we bring Jerusalem (I.e. the Promised Land) to England's green and pleasant land.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m sure I read somewhere that Jerusalem was written in Sussex and the line “England’s green and pleasant land” refers to or was inspired by the South Downs.
Which is nice I think.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Agree with every word, best post I've seen on her for a long time. Be prepared for a backlash from the woke brigade though.

I've not quite got this idea of 'woke' being used as a slight against people.

If we look at the definition, it suggests that being 'woke' is being alert to injustice. Which surely can only be a good thing? Unless you're a braindead and ignorant ****, which i doubt they are.

A weird hill to die on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The organisers have stated the changes are temporary to account for Covid regulations and these versions are to make it sound better while they can only have limited people performing. They have also stated that when it is safe, normal performance will resume.

Gammons, don’t panic. Your fears are unfounded :)

That’s all it is, but people have to have something to be outraged about, and somebody to blame.

The Lego Stand

Jul 5, 2020
It was on the PL agenda, whether to keep it on and also the BLM logo on shirts and whether it was prominent enough. Not heard anything since, but as the BBC commentator (Guy Mowbray?) said it will be a crying shame if it is not back next season, it was one of the highlights of the return and an emotional moment every time it happened.

Highlight? Emotional? Really? What was emotional about it?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Originally written as a pick me up during the First Word War, became the anthem of the Women Suffragettes moment in 1917 (who held the original copyright), adopted by the Womens Institute in 1924, picked up and sung at all the the Major Parties political conferences at some point. At various times suggested to replace God Save The Queen as the national anthem, including George V who prefered it. In other words an anthem that crosses all political boundaries and is popular in all walks of life because they can all find things in it that inspires them.

Balmy Army's anthem sung heartily at the start of every day's play at an England cricket match ....

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
I’m sure I read somewhere that Jerusalem was written in Sussex and the line “England’s green and pleasant land” refers to or was inspired by the South Downs.
Which is nice I think.

Written in Felpham and inspired by the view of the trundle from next to the Earl of March pub in Lavant (he was visiting a lady friend). He was also tried for sedition at Chichester Crown Court. Definitely revolutionary. It's a poem, part of a larger work, never meant to be a hymn.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Shit song that belongs in a west end musical, sorry.

I love Jeruselum, but Abide With Me does it for. Classy, timless and send shivers down the spine. Loved this years.

Our National Anthem has always been an embarresment. Our only exposure to it being mimed every few years at an international football tournament,

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It’s pretty inconvenient when many Black people don’t take the knee to BLM. BLM is a Marxist organisation.

As far as I am concerned, “All Lives Matter”. We are all equal. There should be no discrimination, and that also means positive discrimination. Everyone should be treated the same, I know we’re not allowed to say stuff like this though, as it’s not woke enough,

The UK is one of the most tolerant, racially diverse countries in the world. However, the woke generation seem to take pleasure is taking offence over minor things, which, IMO, will cause more problems In race relations than the so called transgressions.

Also, the guy who was killed when the policeman knelt on his neck (sorry, I’ve forgotten his name) was a scum bag (he’d previously shot a pregnant woman in the stomach), so the faux outrage over his death was just an excuse. No, he didn’t deserve to die, but don’t treat him like some fvcking choir boy.

If Black Lives Matter to blacks so much, why do more blacks die at the hands of blacks than whites?

Too late to deal with most of this but I have to ask when exactly George Floyd shot a pregnant woman. I believe he was involved in an armed robbery at some point but must have missed that detail. Odd that it wasn't mentioned more...

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
Too late to deal with most of this but I have to ask when exactly George Floyd shot a pregnant woman. I believe he was involved in an armed robbery at some point but must have missed that detail. Odd that it wasn't mentioned more...

Definitely didn’t shoot a pregnant woman. The claim is he pistol whipped or held a pistol to the belly of a woman who may have been pregnant during an armed robbery. There are claims she was pregnant though it isn’t mentioned in the official police report.

This is a long read that isn’t really worth it, but snopes generally try to be factual

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/06/12/george-floyd-criminal-record/

**Not taking sides, merely responding to your question**

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Definitely didn’t shoot a pregnant woman. The claim is he pistol whipped or held a pistol to the belly of a woman who may have been pregnant during an armed robbery. There are claims she was pregnant though it isn’t mentioned in the official police report.

This is a long read that isn’t really worth it, but snopes generally try to be factual

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/06/12/george-floyd-criminal-record/

**Not taking sides, merely responding to your question**

It's fine to take sides when one person is spreading disinformation :D

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
The whole episode is part of the Right's 'culture war' - create an outrage or imaginary threat (Last Night of the Proms under attack, BLM a Marxist front, Christmas being banned to avoid offending the effnix, 'Ba Ba Black Sheep' banned for being racist, etc), and then use it to attack 'leftists' and 'liberals', while moaning "It's PC gone mad; you can't say anything anymore without 'snowflakes' getting offended and having you sacked from your job."

These entirely manufactured outrages are integral to the Right's tactic of diverting public attention and (potential) anger away from the real problems - poverty wages while CEOs pay themselves £millions, food banks (in the world's 6th richest country), homelessness and unaffordable housing, the constant selling-off of our industries and companies to foreign firms and governments (the opposite of "taking back control"), the privatisation-by-stealth of the NHS and other public services (often sold to Tory donors), some of the lowest old age pensions in Europe, and the appalling treatment of the elderly in many of our so-called care homes.

But that's the whole point of the Right's pretended fury over Last Night of the Proms, migrants in dinghies in the English Channel, BLM, 'cancel culture' - it diverts public attention and anger towards 'fake' targets, and channels public outrage against 'liberals' and 'the political correctness brigade', thus allowing the top 1% to continue getting even richer and avoiding paying taxes while millions of ordinary working people struggle to feed themselves or pay their rent. Ensures that 'the people' don't turn their anger against the Tories and the Establishment.

Sadly - as a lot of posters and angry comments on here illustrate - this tactic works; people keep falling for it.

Last edited:

Big Beach Seagull

Salt of the earth
May 16, 2020
I've always found Classical Music to be incredibly snobby. When I get my Mail in the morning I have a quick look through it. The J H-B and Littlejohn articles go upstairs for later but anything about Classical Music goes straight in the cat's litter tray.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here