Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Project Fear or Project Reality?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Any ideas on what the implications are for bringing stuff in from the continent? I remember the EU forced the UK to abandon duty free limits so long as the duty was paid in the country of purchase.
Will this mean we go back to 2 litres of spirits and 400 fags again?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Any ideas on what the implications are for bringing stuff in from the continent? I remember the EU forced the UK to abandon duty free limits so long as the duty was paid in the country of purchase.
Will this mean we go back to 2 litres of spirits and 400 fags again?
If duty free allowance comes back, we may get the hovercraft service to France back.

That relied on the duty free business and went bust when it lost that income.

Bring back the hovercraft !

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Wales is in the UK, so it doesn't make any sense to ask if Wales will get £4bn "from" the UK, or to back up a claim that the "UK have given Wales" more than £4bn.

You realise Welsh taxpayers paid towards the EU, which then gave them back some of the money? You've got to consider the whole picture, not just a single cash flow

Thought not.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If duty free allowance comes back, we may get the hovercraft service to France back.

That relied on the duty free business and went bust when it lost that income.

Bring back the hovercraft !
There still is a duty free allowance on board ferries but the prices are not competitive compared to prices in France/Belgium.

You can get a bottle of cheap Gin for £6 in a French Lidl, just so long as you don't take the piss and come back with a case, UK Customs have to allow it currently. Was wondering if that will now stop.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
To be fair this is what he's been saying all along, and it's what many people who voted out believed would happen - there's plenty of threads on here with people saying similar. It never gets reported though because it doesn't make a good headline.

I think the point is that many Leaver's voted on their own, well reasoned arguments. I don't think anyone can dispute though, that a MASSIVE part of this campaign, and of voting intention has been based on immigration being CONTROLLED. As he has said, and you, and perhaps many Leavers know, immigration will not CHANGE. Unfortunately, many people voted thinking it will.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think the point is that many Leaver's voted on their own, well reasoned arguments. I don't think anyone can dispute though, that a MASSIVE part of this campaign, and of voting intention has been based on immigration being CONTROLLED. As he has said, and you, and perhaps many Leavers know, immigration will not CHANGE. Unfortunately, many people voted thinking it will.

You just have to look at some of the comments yesterday To see that some leavers truly believe that we wi back up all foreigners and ship them off by Monday and that's that.

They are going to be in for a shock

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
People call Brexiters economically illiterate, meanwhile their main worry when the pound falls is their own holiday getting more expensive.

FTSE actually finished the week UP 2%. Of course people wouldn't know this because nobody is sharing it on Facebook.

Credit ratings of EU countries will be hurt much more than the UK by this news. Does anyone really believe our government is more likely to default?

Free movement of people within the EU will of course remain. We just won't be in the EU anymore.

Nobody thought £350m would go to the NHS, just like nobody thought WW3 would happen.

The WW3 reference was a one-off headline created by a journalist in response to a probably silly point about post-Brexit security. The £350m reference was a continued lie printed by in 500pt type down the side of the Brexiters' big bus. There is no comparison between the two. It stayed there for week after week and if you think it had no effect then you clearly know nothing about the subliminal effect of advertising.

And where did you get your 'free movement will of course remain' prediction from? Gove, the brains behind the Brexit campaign (except when he compared Remainers who accepted the words of experts to Nazis) has categorically said that he does not wish to remain in the single market because it would involve free movement.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You just have to look at some of the comments yesterday To see that some leavers truly believe that we wi back up all foreigners and ship them off by Monday and that's that.

They are going to be in for a shock

As I said on the other thread...

This wasn't democracy regardless of the outcome. It was Britain's Got Talent, X-Factor, The Apprentice freak show of sales, spin and mistruths.

As yesterday proved, no one on the Leave side has a definite plan of what to do next. Boris is fumbling around talking about taking our time, not rushing things - yeah, because no one actually has a bloody plan of what will happen, what we actually want out of this deal.

A huge swathe of the electorate has voted Leave on the back of controlled immigration. How is it democratic if we renegotiate a trade deal with the EU that retains free movement exactly as we had before? You will have 48% of remain, and however many Leave voters asking, what the hell, we voted for controlled immigration, we've got the same as before only we've had to take a hit on the economy, the pound, and get a worse deal.

Democracy would have entailed knowing what we were voting for once we were out. The Leave campaign should have been fought on the TRUTH that immigration will remain the same. The TRUTH that the £350m or whatever won't be going to the NHS.

I agree many leaving won't have voted for those reasons, they're not racist, they believe in the UK standing on its own, I don't dispute that or their intelligence, but many did. Many have voted for a lie. And I would hazard a guess more than 1m voted for controlled immigration as a policy alone, and it's a policy they aren't going to get. That isn't democracy.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
6. Nicola Sturgeon states a second Scottish independence referendum is highly likely.

Which they'll win by a landslide, then Wales will leave the UK next. England will be about as significant on the world stage as a pebble on Calais beach. At least 50k jobs will go in the next 6 months as car manufacturers and banks leave. Well done.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Which they'll win by a landslide, then Wales will leave the UK next. England will be about as significant on the world stage as a pebble on Calais beach. At least 50k jobs will go in the next 6 months as car manufacturers and banks leave. Well done.

Which will vastly reduce corporation tax paid as banks produce a high GDP

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Patience

Lots of predictable speculation but the reality is no one knows what our negotiating position with the EU is going to be. Only after the new PM (+ cabinet) is in place better reflecting the majority Brexit view will we get to see the specifics/red lines for the negotiations. Then would be a better time to judge if anyone was misled or otherwise.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
attachment.php

This graph shows how the likely they are to default according to the market. Note that spike.

Members can default, and in fact EU law states that the EU should not stop a member from default (no bailout clause), but they didn't really follow that one to the letter with Greece.

It's not if but when Italy and Portugal default. They both have extremely high debt to GDP ratios and it's getting bigger with no growth in their economies and youth unemployment at 45% and 57% respectively. They will both require huge bailouts that will dwarf anything Greece requires or there is a very real possibility of either going bust. There is absolutely nothing that the UK can do to stop this either within or outside the EU. At least outside the EU, our money won't be used as part of any future bailouts as they did with the EFSM funds,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here