Problem with my neighbour

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feb 21, 2009
Please help!!

Me and my mate our both late 20’s and decided Feb this year to both chip in and rent a flat in a block of 6.

Our flat had never been lived in as the landlord used this as a town flat and mentioned to us on viewing he had spent a total of only about a dozen nights in the flat in 2 years.

All our neighbours seem very friendly apart from the ones above a mother of approx 60 and her son approx in his 40’s.

Anyway the stress and problem

Since being in the flat me and my flat mate have had 4 letters and 2 disagreements, which I will go into below.

Complaint 1
After our initial move into the flat we were welcomed by our adjacent neighbour and the neighbour below, however after day 3 of settling our furniture into the flat we received a letter from the flat above stating the noise and movement of our furniture had been an unhappy start to our arrival into the block for them.
(I will note none of our movements were done in unsociable hours and were in our minds kept to a discreet minimum)
Regretfully we didn’t think an awful lot of the note and chucked it, although a few days later my flat mate went up to their flat to introduce himself and offer an apology if anything was unjust.

Complaint 2
About a month in another letter received to us, a noise complaint about a party and inconsiderate banging and jumping around at unsociable hours.
The said party that apparently took place was dated at the weekend the letter was posted under our door.
The letter me and my flat mate received after visiting our friends down in Woking for the weekend, the letter we didn’t receive until late Sunday evening having left our flat Friday afternoon. Subsequently we were nowhere near our flat this weekend.

I happened to bump into the son a few days after and introduced myself and stated the party/noise must of come from somewhere other than us as we were both elsewhere on this weekend.
He explained his mum hears a banging of a door in the morning etc, so my flat mate who works in a tool centre brought home loads of sound proofing and buffers for every entrance door to wardrobe door etc to cut out this complaint, at this time I also requested no more letters to be posted under our door and a face to face meeting would be preferred.

Complaint 3
Having been sent home from work and curled up on the sofa I put on the TV and started to nap, until I heard banging at our door.
The lady above was going mad stating the banging and thudding of noise was beginning to hack her off! I explained did I look in any fit state to be doing any banging etc and she stated it wasn’t particularly now but all the time. She then went into a mental overload, probably because I looked so disinterested feeling poorly, and was pointing at the flat opposite ours stating we were starting to get as f*****g noisy as them.
I raised to her bite and told her I wanted no more of this myself, and told her if she had anymore problems she should go to our landlord/letting agency and stop giving us grief and letters, she started spurting off some other rubbish and I told her to piss off and slammed the door at her.
On the Monday I made my letting agent aware.

Complaint 4
We’d heard nothing for a couple of months we thought my last argument with her had possibly done the trick and the fact I was hoping my letting agent may have had a word with her.
I returned to the flat with a couple of friends to watch England v Sweden and my mate picked up a letter from them.
I not asking you I’m telling you yet again was the first line on the letter.
There complaint this time being that we apparently have been putting our washing machine on the last couple of evenings at 12.20am.
Once again false accusations which have left me fuming and wanting to do something about them now officially.
My flat mate went upstairs Sunday just gone to speak with them and he heard there TV turn down and could see the women looking through her spy glass at him, but she would not answer the door.

My concern is the fact we are younger tenants than them and having been there only 4 months may look to be the ones causing the disruption if anything is taken further by us.

I get quite stressed and anxious quickly and the above has really upset me, any advice out there would be so appreciated.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
My suggestion would be to start putting fish heads and dog crap through the letter box then deny it has anything to do with you. Check there is no CCTV first.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You have done the correct thing in contacting the letting agent. Ensure they, and if possible the landlord, are kept aware of anything else that happens.

Do not allow yourself to lose your temper - it will only make the situation worse. Have a word with the other neighbours - ask them if they consider you noisy neighbours and if they have had run ins with this other flat. Then write a polite but firm letter to these two people stating you want to live quietly without any issues and that you deny any of their accusations. Please would they desist from contacting you. Copy in the Letting Agent and Landlord.

If you get any further letters do not respond just forward them to the Letting Agent and Landlord - it is up to them to deal with the issue. There's a good reason this couple haven't involved the Letting Agent, Landlord or the Council noise team and that's because they're in the wrong.

As a landlord I've had a number of complaints from people about my tenants. Each time I've spoken to the tenants and then responded to the complaint. More often than not the tenant denies the allegation so I write back asking the original complainer for evidence. Most of the time I don't even get a response and occasionally they've come back saying they have none. In those cases I write a final letter back saying I will only respond to complaints from them going forwards if they provide evidence. Strangely I've never heard again from those people.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
If your living on Town Farm I would be careful, she might go completely BERKO and start waving a sawn-off around!

Seriously, what can you do, she sounds a fruitloop and if you have genuinely been good boys then you should have nothing to worry about, you will just have to put up with her occasional rants.

Maybe tell all this to the landlord when you can, pre-empt any complaint from her.

Afraid I don't have any useful suggestions, except to say, record everything; all conversations, all correspondence, then send to managing agent on a regular basis. Everyone is entitled to "quiet enjoyment" of their property, including you.

If you build up a sufficient record of harassment by her, then you have a defence against future complaints, but also evidence with which to complain about her.

Regret there doesn't seem to be a quick, easy fix - just make sure you are protected.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
She sounds barkng mad. Get the Landlord round to explain and see what he can do. She can do nothing legally as far as I know.

She can but she would need good solid evidence. She could then take action against the landlord who could then evict. By the sound of this they are just bullies and the landlord should deal with it firmly but politely.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
If if all true then you have done nothing wrong. Let her send the letters as you can back everything up.

Lush

Mods' Pet
The fact that this is concerning you shows that you're nice people. :)

She obviously has - er - mental health issues, possibly evidenced by the fact that her son still lives at home in his 40s.

Keep calm. Keep her notes as evidence and a diary of your movements etc in case it gets legal. Don't, whatever you do, 'give her something to really complain about.'

I don't think there's much you can do beyond this. Just remember it's her problem, not yours, and try and ignore it.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
I deal with this kind of stuff up in the big smoke and they can only really do something LEGALLY if it is anti social! If its not social housing then they are unable to issue various orders as they would to there own tenants. I gather you are a private tenant. By Anti Social I mean where the premises or state of premises has declined i.e all night parties, druggies attending it as a crack den, more mess than normal in the stairwells (Dog shit, Human Faeces, fear of violence, that kind of thing) Syringes in the stair well, fighting.

Is she a private tenant or social tenant! It sounds like she has had an easy care free ride as it has been peaceful for two years and now she can hear things she doesn't like it.

You are doing things and sounds like making noises that are normal in any home, but due to the distinct lack of these for the previous two years she has forgotten what it is like. If its laminate floor that's a bitch for noise as i have got it in upstairs rooms at home.

You are taking all relevant action that you are not required to do so and are going way out of your way not to annoy them. Keep all letters.

She would need very good solid evidence to get anything remotely near a court house to get you out and it is generally a pattern of behaviour the courts would look for not random moving in and out of an address! A pattern i.e druggies always appear between 9-12 causing trouble.

I wouldn't panic and hopefully they will leave you alone!

‘Nuisance’
In England and Wales, ‘nuisance’ is defined legally as an unreasonable interference with the use and enjoyment of one’s property. In deciding this, consideration of the standards of the average person, and the character of the neighbourhood in question (such as whether other residents who are affected have also complained) will be taken. If no-one else has complained, don't worry and crack on with your life.................

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
If you get any further letters do not respond just forward them to the Letting Agent and Landlord - it is up to them to deal with the issue.

This, definitely. I wouldn't even open them, simply pop them in the post to the agent. And should you wish, a letter under your neighbours' door stating simply that all their notes are being sent to your agent unopened. Might make them think twice, knowing that 'officials' are now involved.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
She sounds like a social cabbage. So many people are sadly. If you are doing exactly as you say, she has nothing against you, in fact the complete opposite. Tell her to take a hike.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Afraid I don't have any useful suggestions, except to say, record everything; all conversations, all correspondence, then send to managing agent on a regular basis. Everyone is entitled to "quiet enjoyment" of their property, including you.

If you build up a sufficient record of harassment by her, then you have a defence against future complaints, but also evidence with which to complain about her.

Regret there doesn't seem to be a quick, easy fix - just make sure you are protected.

This :thumbsup:

Feb 21, 2009
Thank you for all the replies people, has made me feel a bit better, and less wanting to run up the stairs to there flat and having a real ding dong with them!
My friends all read the letters and laugh, but has just got to a point where i think this is nuts, i've got rights surely!?
Me and my flat mate are hardly ever in the flat anyway due to working long hrs/comuting etc.
We have friends over, parties etc but it gets to a point where i was asking my mates to quieten down last fri for the footy in fear of getting more letters of complaint.

I've asked my ajacent neighbours and there all ok and a nice family, if anything i think there the ones making the noises etc, so i felt a bit bad asking them if we were noisy!

Thanks to all again tho, and i will keep things updated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports