Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Probate - anyone done it without a solicitor?

biddles911

May 12, 2014
OP - if the wishes of your parents are quite straightforward and, as you've indicated, you don't expect any complications with the estate and the beneficiaries then I'd recommend doing the probate yourself. You can always switch to solicitor assistance later on if things get trickier.

As well as the government site posted above you might also want to flick through the below - it's a thorough, and free, guide put together by a Hove solicitors firm. I have no connection with this firm whatsoever, I saw an advert for their free guide, ordered a copy and never contacted them again. Good luck.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u6ef8zc9b1x2zd0/Probate Pack.doc?dl=0

Yes, agree with this. It's really not a complicated process and, if you go to a solicitor, you'll often find the actual work gets delegated to a junior who may well be pretty incompetent themselves, albeit supervised by a solicitor.

Watch out for fees. Many of them want to charge a percentage of the estate however straightforward the will.

A friend of mine got caught out that way and got charged several tens of thousands on his father-in-law's estate despite the solicitor making a real mess of pulling it all together so my friend ended up doing most of the work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here