Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prize Money At Wimbledon (A Poll)

What would the Ladies Wimbledon Prize-money be?

• More than the men

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • £1.6m (exactly the same as men)

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • £1.2m-£1.4m

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • £1m (calculated by average sets played)

Votes: 38 40.4%
  • Less than £1m

Votes: 21 22.3%

• Total voters

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The real scandal for me is this:

WHEELCHAIR DOUBLES
Winners (per pair) 8,500

QUALIFYING - GENTLEMEN'S SINGLES
Third Round Losers 12,000

QUALIFYING - LADIES' SINGLES
Third Round Losers 12,000

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
For professional athletes on the Grand Prix circuit, prize money is an irrelevance. Its all about the appearance money, and the big players like Bolt recieve FAR more than the women.

true. but thats not a sexist thing though, thats about who is the biggest star. They'll still pay more for Fraser-Pryce in the women's 100m than they would for a British sprinter.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Hard as I try, I just can't see value for money in the womens game. The unedifying sight of female players stomachs wobbling all over the place, is enough to put anyone off.
They have made a concerted effort to introduce professional gamesmanship to their matches with deliberate shrieking and screaming every time they strike the ball and yet, when they are on the training courts, it suddenly gets a lot quieter. I watched Wimbledon this year and was astonished to see how out of condition some girls were. Petra Kvitova, ranked eight, was clearly and embarrassingly overweight. The new Ladies champion is bulky, to say the least.
The womens fitness levels have clearly fallen a long way behind the men and we are now talking about two different games. A mens game, where fitness is everything and the depth of talent goes a long way down. The women have become complacent and life has become too easy.
I watch as little womens tennis as possible. The overt gamesmanship going on ( shrieking and squealing ) is frankly, pathetic and demeans the sport. It has reduced the women to a laughing stock. The poor fitness level of a lot of players is embarrassing for a so called professional athlete.
The women are getting away with murder.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't see why it matters so much that they're at the same tournament at the same time. Women have a Euros and a World Cup, it wouldn't feasible to have both playing concurrently in the same country so why should pay be different in that instance, according to your logic?

You said they had equal billing - they clearly do NOT.

Pay should be the same. But at the end of the day you can only compare apples with apples. Different tournaments means different organisers, different television deals and there are different governing bodies so the pot of money to draw from is different.

what confuses me more is why you're BOTHERED?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here