Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prices at The Amex

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
I do hope that is a wind up!
Onto the point in hand the prices are very decent when compared to its peers. That is the only worthwhile comparison worth making, to compare it to pubs is silly and to compare it to Lords is irrelevant, any comparisons made should be against SCC, Reading etc.

Not a wind up, but in all fairness I do like the Wetherspoons brand and I will still drink there. I just watch where my drink is poured. Again in all fairness this was a fair few years ago and I may have been very unlucky.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Mmm Wetherspoons. They are known (allegedly) for serving up slops to help reduce beer prices. I've actually seen it done personally.

i know Wetherspoons is looked down upon and cant comment on your experiecen, but ive always found them to be consistant and decent beer. anywho, still their central london prices match others locally and i rarely if ever pay £4 or over for lager anywhere i go across zone 1 (i do however often pay that for Erdinger, dammit). maybe some think "central London" consists of overpriced pubs around Piccadilly and Soho?

The screamer

NSC's biggest geek
Apr 2, 2010
Portsmouth
I work at Portsmouth Guildhall, Prices like stadiums are more expensive than pubs, not only because once you are in, there's no competition so people who want a drink will pay the prices, the main reason though is because unlike a pub, venues and stadiums aren't open every day and during the average week have limited amount of times to make money, so the extra cost is fair enough, its a business and we need to make up for all the hours of the week we are not making any money.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
as will i. i wasnt bickering over the prices, just the argument that its cheap relative to some other overpriced location. see above, quite why anyone in Lyme Regis will pay £4.60 for a Stella is beyond me and it shouldnt make any bearing on whether £3.60 for a Harveys is a good price.

Aldgate Wetherspoons ;) though i know plenty of other pubs that are around £3 pint. its very representitive, not everywhere is £4. not drinking Stella helps.

Where are these pubs in London that you are paying £3 a pint in? I would say the average price of a pint in London is about £3.60 - £3.80. Yes there are some cheaper, but there also some more expensive.

I would say that generally, it is cheaper to get a pint in the Amex than it is to get a pint in central London. I think that's a pretty good deal, personally.

Prices are only what people are prepared to pay anyway. If £3.60 really was too expensive then people wouldn't pay it, and the price would go down.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
London West End prices for a pint - 4 quid or very close for a pint is becoming de rigeur.

de rigeur not heard of that one, it must be a Belgian beer, sounds foreign hehe
I think prices are fine, the people that are moaning would only be happy with working mens clubs prices, not gonna happen.
AND lets not forget WE ARE THE ONLY CLUB THAT BAKES THEIR OWN PIES ON THE PREMISES!!! (OR SO IT CLAIMED ON THE NEWS)
Bright are back hello with pies

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Yep. £3.50 for a pint is to be expected and not unreasonable.

Going to have a few tinnies on the train in to save some cash

Sussex By The Sea
Jul 21, 2011
The Amex Thai Curry and a Pint is £9.50, the rest seems pretty standard. £3.50 for a pint is standard these days.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just saw someone on another thread moaning about the beer prices. Really can't get my head round this - I know money's tight for a lot of people but by stadium standards it seems good to me.

By comparison, went to Lord's yesterday. The only lager, Foster's, £4.20 ... 3.60 at the Amex I believe (20p cheaper than the Kronenbourg/Harveys).

And a Lord's pie... £5.

Albion again MUCH cheaper even without the 10% cashback.

Of all the complaints, the one about prices just doesn't wash. Obviously some people don't have much spare cash which is unfortunate but the club is better than many stadia & comfortably in line with central Brighton prices.

Happy to pay the prices. Decent pie and a decent pint for £6.50 is fine by me.

Its going to be the same problem as at Withdean tho. Stupidly long and/or slow queues mean the club will lose my potential money every single game, cos I won't be joining that queue.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Will you be taking breakfast at Weatherspoons in George Street in the morning too?

not sure i quite follow the logic here: because overpriced items are below other overpriced locations, people shouldnt complain?

its because of this attitude that places can get away with the prices in the first place and drinks rise above well above inflation/excise increases over the years. i will be in a central London pub this evening paying £2.80-£3 a pint, that should serve as a benchmark for prices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here