Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Price of Football 2016

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Remember when you called the Radio Sussex phone in and had to pass the phone to your dad because you were being sick out of the window? :lol:

Probably :lol: I remember when my mate text in saying 'my nan is better than Nathan Jones from Sheebo' and Harty read it out and made a big thing of it :lol:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Regardless of what this usually inaccurate survey says, the prices must be about right given the level of support week in, week out.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Regardless of what this usually inaccurate survey says, the prices must be about right given the level of support week in, week out.

Not sure I agree with that. Football is an addiction and there would plenty of people who would pay through the nose as a result. They might be "right" in a capitalist, corporate, economic sense, I suppose. It's a bit like saying house prices are right because lots of people are still buying houses in London.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Not sure I agree with that. Football is an addiction and there would plenty of people who would pay through the nose as a result. They might be "right" in a capitalist, corporate, economic sense, I suppose. It's a bit like saying house prices are right because lots of people are still buying houses in London.

I understand where you're coming from and I think it would be good if there was always an amount of tickets made available at a VERY affordable price. But, from a club point of view, if we want to compete at the top end of the Championship, then we need the revenue and it makes sense to pitch prices at the highest possible level that doesn't adversely affect attendances. I suppose I'm fortunate in that I feel my season ticket provides good value for the entertainment provided, especially in the last couple of seasons - and I certainly don't think it compares unfavourably to other activities such as going to the cinema.

The interesting aspect is the price level a club now chooses when playing in the Premier League, as the amount of TV money on offer should be enough to allow ticket prices to be subsidised - though again, not much point if that means the club can't attract good enough players to be competitive.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In numerical terms yes, but relative to income, I would hazard a guess full price STH's are paying a lot more!

Good point and I'd considered making it in my post. However, no one actually knows what he's worth so the assertions that the 10-15 mill a year he puts in are just pocket change can't actually be backed up. I also think the monthly DD option is very handy - for me it reduces the ratio of ticket cost to monthly salary during the season, though obviously you are also paying for naff all in the summer.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
In numerical terms yes, but relative to income, I would hazard a guess full price STH's are paying a lot more!

Really? So if someone is earning £16000 a year and paying £500 a season, that's 1/32 of their income. If Bloom puts in even, say, £6m that means he'd need to be earning £192m per year. ...£192m....

Whatever the figures, we have to face the facts that our ticket money is a drop in the ocean. There's no way we could be competitive at the level we are without his incredibly generous contributions, past and present.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Really? So if someone is earning £16000 a year and paying £500 a season, that's 1/32 of their income. If Bloom puts in even, say, £6m that means he'd need to be earning £192m per year. ...£192m....

Whatever the figures, we have to face the facts that our ticket money is a drop in the ocean. There's no way we could be competitive at the level we are without his incredibly generous contributions, past and present.

Yes maybe I should revisit my assumption. Although I would argue against our ticket money being a drop in the ocean.

In the last set of accounts 14/15 We contributed £9.8m in ticket money to the club plus £1.2m in retail purchases. The overall loss was £10.4m which was covered by TB.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I heard it - well done for sticking your guns and not actually singing.

Incidentally I know I'm well out of the demographic now but that 5 minutes of newsbeat gave me a ****ing headache.

Thanks Matt. 28 seconds of pure fame. It's amazing how they cut down these things and just take the bits they like of course...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here