Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Price Increases

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Tyres - increased 50% since the last lot I bought. Paid around £130 per tyre max, now at £200 for the size needed. Insane, and I still had 4.5mm tread left - chunk out of the side wall that must have happened when SHE was driving, gutted.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Now if I had my time again and could afford it, I'd set up a Vinyl record processing plant. Very few exist in the UK and with the renaissance in Vinyl I think there is a major window of opportunity there. Ironically my Rolling Stones Vinyl (Grrr Live triple vinyl) arrived today - Made in the EU! Import costs added to overall price.
Funny you should say this as this is something I have been looking into, but as a crowd-investment as opposed to setting one up myself.

I have two share investments and both are for small amounts and purely for fun, one is a brewery and the other a rail company. I would love to add a record pressing plant to my portfolio.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
What have you purchased recently that has increased the most in the past few months.
Trip to Aldi and their tomato soup is now 57p from 35p. Honey Nut cornflakes £1.09 from 85p. Cheap marg 99p from 59p. Own digestive biscuits 49p from 35p.
Their meat packs have shrunk with 1 kilo packs now containing 750 grams or less.
Inflation is 10% and yet everything seems to be going up by a lot more than that.
Quite a few also things have crept up a lot. Their fruit and veg used to be really cheap but now really expensive for some items. I wonder how their business model has been undermined by Brexit as it presumably relied on frictionless bulk trade.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
For many mortgages are the real killer, the next 2 years are going to see vast swathes see 1-2% rates vanish. Suddenly money is 2-3 times expensive.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
For many mortgages are the real killer, the next 2 years are going to see vast swathes see 1-2% rates vanish. Suddenly money is 2-3 times expensive.

That's a big worry isn't it? 1-2 million or so this year moving from mortgages they can afford, to mortgages they are going to struggle to afford (basing this on my own anticipated experience coming up in about months time).

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Price? Increase?

I thought you were talking about this:

(to the sun haters - you dont need to open the link to get the idea!!)

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I've just been to the flower shop in Patcham.

Guess how much the Ecuadorian roses were? £50.

It reminds me of the joke 'how many roses should I give my wife for Valentine's Day? 6, 12, or the whole tin?

I've just bought a bunch of roses from the Co-op, £16. I might have to deduct that from her housekeeping.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I nearly fell over when I saw the price of olive oil last week. The brand I usually get has gone from £5-6 a bottle to £10.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The Tesco CEO said a couple of weeks ago that they were making very little margin and that it was the suppliers who were profiteering and increasing prices by significantly more than the inflation rate. I tend to believe him as Tesco binned off Heinz for a while when they imposed way above inflation price hikes.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Not sure about price before increase but, Heinz beans and ketch up seem to have shot up in price!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I've just bought a bunch of roses from the Co-op, £16. I might have to deduct that from her housekeeping.
My wife has previously complained I'm not spontaneous enough.

So I got my diary, and at random intervals, I wrote 'remember to be spontaneous'.

But she spotted me doing it, and said that wasn't what she meant. Nothing I do is ever good enough for that woman.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
The Tesco CEO said a couple of weeks ago that they were making very little margin and that it was the suppliers who were profiteering and increasing prices by significantly more than the inflation rate. I tend to believe him as Tesco binned off Heinz for a while when they imposed way above inflation price hikes.

Doubtless some truth in that , in as much as some price increases come from the producers but Tesco’s version of profiteering is often simply ‘increasing prices’

I have seen the other side of Tesco’s sourcing practices when working for a massive food producer. M&S annual visit they were all over the shop floor checking food safety practices, hygiene records everything, even checked the outside drains , then up to the office for the negotiations. Tesco did a whirlwind tour of the production area , 10/15 minutes at best then upstairs to negotiate and promptly reduced their price offer from the previous contract under the threat of moving the product off of the (prime) eye level shelf position.

el punal

Tyres - increased 50% since the last lot I bought. Paid around £130 per tyre max, now at £200 for the size needed. Insane, and I still had 4.5mm tread left - chunk out of the side wall that must have happened when SHE was driving, gutted.
That’s inflation for you. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here