Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Price Increases

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
So... the retentions team called back today (the following day to my cancellation).

Originally my Broadband was going up to £34 from £27 per month.

I called up and spoke to someone in India who offered me some very naff 'deals' which did not work out much cheaper than that of the price increase... so I cancelled.

But today I had a call back from the rententions team, a friendly girl from Wales.

Without hesitation, she offered me an 18 month deal of £24pm for the same package. So, not only am I not paying an extra £7pm, I'm actually making a saving of £3pm.... £10pm cheaper than the deal I would have got had I not 'cancelled'.

Goes to show how important it is to play this silly game and save yourself significant amounts of money on your monthly outgoings....
Well done, and you are right, it's a game. These companies, in the main, don't value customer loyalty any more and will screw them for as much as they can get. So much inflation being driven opportunistically by companies' price increases.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Well done, and you are right, it's a game. These companies, in the main, don't value customer loyalty any more and will screw them for as much as they can get. So much inflation being driven opportunistically by companies' price increases.

I find it really unethical, not so much that I have to play this game to get better prices - but the people that don't are effectively subsidising my bill... and these people are often the elderly, vulnerable or poor who end up paying over inflated prices because they don't or can't haggle like this.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I find it really unethical, not so much that I have to play this game to get better prices - but the people that don't are effectively subsidising my bill... and these people are often the elderly, vulnerable or poor who end up paying over inflated prices because they don't or can't haggle like this.
Exactly as you say. It takes time, effort and determination to fight back and haggle as you did, and possibly a minority are able and willing to do it.
I admit that at least once a year I just pay a grossly inflated increase on a contract renewal because, at that time, there's something more urgent going on with family or friends needing help, and i just can't give it the required focus.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Local Council (in Norfolk) just announced a 5% increase on the Council Tax this year - are others having the same increase/more/less?

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I moved my sim only contracts for the family from Three mobile last year when they doubled my previous out of contract rates and excluded EU roaming. I then got a rolling monthly sim only deal with Smarty . Really good rates and includes EU roaming. And they happen to use Three Mobile as their supplier.....!
I'm looking at Smarty now to take over from my existing O2 contract. I'm not sure what Three is like around Shoreham - so I've ordered a SIM at just £5/mth (renewable monthly) to try it out. I like the fact roaming is still FREE ... no long contract ... no price increases ... and very competitive pricing! Let's hope I can get a signal!!

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 19.28.12.png

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I'm looking at Smarty now to take over from my existing O2 contract. I'm not sure what Three is like around Shoreham - so I've ordered a SIM at just £5/mth (renewable monthly) to try it out. I like the fact roaming is still FREE ... no long contract ... no price increases ... and very competitive pricing! Let's hope I can get a signal!!

View attachment 157573
I’ve never had an issue here in a Shoreham a la mer. Good luck with it.👍

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Just getting in a new order of dry dog food, for our, er, dog, and it has gone up ~30%+ since I last ordered some end of last Year.

Looking at other brands and seeing similar price increases, used to be ~£35 or, now ~£45+.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Just getting in a new order of dry dog food, for our, er, dog, and it has gone up ~30%+ since I last ordered some end of last Year.

Looking at other brands and seeing similar price increases, used to be ~£35 or, now ~£45+.
it's called gouging mate ....driven by the cost of petrol , diesel and general transport and manufacturing costs ....the big boys at the top are cleaning up in the billions.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

I've just cancelled my subscription to tails.com because it was creeping up to £100 a month and the puppy food was more expensive than what I was paying for my fully grown dog. From what I could see there was no difference in the wet food being sent out only they were smaller. It was good quality stuff but sorry pooches you are going back to tins from the supermarket.

Local Council (in Norfolk) just announced a 5% increase on the Council Tax this year - are others having the same increase/more/less?
Norfolk County Council went up 3%, but then they also put up the Adult Social Care Precept by 2% . Our district (Broadland) kept last year's rate. Biggest percentage was our Police and Crime Commissioner, the extravagantly named Giles Orpen-Smellie, who hit us for a 5.2% increase.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
In our industry we’re finding material prices going up, but the contracts we have with customers are fixed prices in terms up to 5 years. Our options are to kiss goodbye to the clients, accept the reduced margins or try and effectively fiddle things where there is ambiguity. It’s pretty tricky, and a shame that clients won’t negotiate when we are experiencing such price increases.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here