Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] price gouging

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Just shy of £80 for a 100m drum of 2.5 t/e cable…outrageous. Jobs I priced previous to the increase l’m taking a hit on.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
There are thousands of jobs which were filled by EU migrants, all who were happy to work long and hard for little money as the cost of living in their home country was so low and they could send some back and live very cheaply here.

Now we don't have them, and the a large number of our general workforce turn their noses up at menial jobs for basic pay. So, we have to increase pay to make these jobs attractive.

If we increase pay, costs go up - and so do prices at the tills. We've got to suck it up I'm afraid. We sent 'them immigrants' packing - and it'll cost us. :shrug:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The shelves in my local Co Op have pretty much been empty for weeks!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
anyone else noticed this ...?? everything from crisps to cheese to chocolate and numerous other supermarket stuff , prices going up , sizes going down , petrol/diesel going through the roof , building materials , steel in particular , up 30% in the last 3 months .....wtf is going on , someones making a jerking fortune out there and it ain't us....not brexit related either it's a global thing .......countries that are able to keep going are being bled dry by some caaaant , i smell a massive rat....!!

I think most people in the UK would just be grateful to find a shop selling some crisps, cheese or chocolate these days.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Feeling pretty smug here, haven’t noticed any increase my part of the world.
Been going to the same petrol station for yonks and it’s still £20 a time. :thumbsup:

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
anyone else noticed this ...?? everything from crisps to cheese to chocolate and numerous other supermarket stuff , prices going up , sizes going down , petrol/diesel going through the roof , building materials , steel in particular , up 30% in the last 3 months .....wtf is going on , someones making a jerking fortune out there and it ain't us....not brexit related either it's a global thing .......countries that are able to keep going are being bled dry by some caaaant , i smell a massive rat....!!

If you don't like the cost of living in the UK perhaps try and see how you get on living in Afghanistan, I'm sure some poor soul over there will be willing to swap with you ???

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not sure I agree with that. The company we use for my disabled father (although we pay privately) pay their carers £14.95 per hour and 20 pence per mile, and they are desperately short of employees. I know £15 an hour is still pretty shit to most of us but it seems us Brits just don't want to work in this sector.
Blimey! I finally got what I thought was a,reasonable pay rise to the grand total of £11.39 an hour who the F gets £15.00 an hour?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Blimey! I finally got what I thought was a,reasonable pay rise to the grand total of £11.39 an hour who the F gets £15.00 an hour?

Yeah, but do you want to work anti-social hours, doing social care? Wiping bums, feeding and dressing people etc etc. If you do then sign up. There are over 100,00 jobs in the care sector available - granted they don't all pay that but several of the private ones do as they are desperate for staff. And to answer your last question, before I retired my hourly rate was £47 an hour. It is possible by the end of your working career to earn more via promotion, development. It took me over 40 years of graft to earn that but it is possible. Never give up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thought Price Gouging was going to be some out of contract MLS striker we were interested in.

Best laugh of the day. Top work :thumbsup:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Bottles of Corona beer suddenly gone from 720ml to 620ml in the shops in our town. Same price as before.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just shy of £80 for a 100m drum of 2.5 t/e cable…outrageous. Jobs I priced previous to the increase l’m taking a hit on.

Work has stopped on next door's bespoke 'shed' because the builder (trusted local man) can't source materials.

Can't find lactose-free milk in Faversham - the missus has kindly offered to schlep to Canterbury for me tomorrow.

I can't comment on the supply of crisps, fish fingers and chocolate for obvious reasons.

Covid and Brexit, with the supply chain ****ed is my guess.

That's what happens when you make big changes without a plan, and make big plans without knowing how to effect the necessary changes.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Shortages lead to price rises as sure as night follows day. Supply and demand.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Of course it's Brexit related!

I have found the price rises very noticeable, particularly on staple items.

In Morrisons (basically the only option round here - but fortunately it's a lot better than down south), I have recently noticed that pasta has gone from 3 x 500g packets for £1 to 2 packets for £1, an 8-pack of poppadoms has gone from 65p to £1.40, etc.

I would say our weekly shop has gone from ~£110 to ~£170 for more or less the same stuff.

Regarding pasta there is a world wide shortage of durum due to the weather. Nothing to do with brexit.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Work has stopped on next door's bespoke 'shed' because the builder (trusted local man) can't source materials.

Can't find lactose-free milk in Faversham - the missus has kindly offered to schlep to Canterbury for me tomorrow.

I can't comment on the supply of crisps, fish fingers and chocolate for obvious reasons.

Covid and Brexit, with the supply chain ****ed is my guess.

That's what happens when you make big changes without a plan, and make big plans without knowing how to effect the necessary changes.
Tonight as I’m working late I went down to Screwfix to buy some cable NONE in stock common is muck lighting cable they normally have loads of it.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
There’s a global slow down in shipping container availability so a lot of major trade routes are being affected - the price of strawberries and avocados has completely bottomed out in Australia as the horticultural agri sector cannot find any capacity to get them out of the country - you’ll find the same for steel (Uk producers in all kinds of financial distress.

Price gouging is coming from the few logistics firms which have a monopoly on some routes. We saw the benefits recently in Sydney as a ship bound from Europe to Quebec couldn’t run a shit load of decent European beer and somehow it’s ended up in Asia and going cheap in my local bottle shop ! However if you want to buy anything out of season (like a parsnip) you have to remortgage your house!

My firms economic research on current international trade is pretty good if anyone wants to read it (don’t want to advertise it so happy to pm)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here