Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Price gouging in a high inflation environment

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
A mate of mine is a consultant in flux retail and deals with most is the supermarkets.

The Unilever story very much echoes what he tells me. Major brands have used the inflationary environment to bolster their profits.

There’s a lot of brand power out there and supermarket buyers can’t really do much to stop it. If you are Tescos are refused to stock say Branson Pickle due to a price rise you’d do it at your peril. The consumer would be off to Sainsbury’s in a flash.
Obviously the manufacturers costs have gone up but when the corporate world runs on percentages their profits go up and up and up.

It’s all just so unfair.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The kûntïsh Tories will tell you that rising inflation is down to the wage increases, especially in the public sectors.

Of course, any economist worth his salt will correct that assumption by pointing the finger in the direction of greedy corporations making huge profits. Take Unilever for example:

This horrid government is here to protect their ever increasing profits, not to keep inflation down. They are not marmite either, most people hate them and want them out other than the super rich and super stupid.
More pigs in the trough coming as well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here