Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

previous and present goalkeeper

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Who is this TK you all speak of?

I thought Wolves had PIG as their goalkeeper now.

I think overall I just about happier that we now have Stockdale, but PIG is a bit like other past players in that he represents an exciting chapter that we'd all like to re-live.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I did think PIG was the better goalkeeper for a while early season but Stockdale has improved a lot and there isn't much in it now.

PIG is the better shop stopper, stockers dominates the box on crosses more.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We'd def have conceded more with him in goal

You simply cannot surmise that. It's pointless. How many more would we have conceded from crosses that Stockdale dealt with, without fuss?

Take the Derby game as a prime example. Derby delivered 31 crosses into our box. DS caught about 15 of them. If TK had stood on his line, allowed three more headers at goal, let one in, but made two blinding reflex saves (that DS through his good technical work, never had to make at all) you'd be saying TK had the better performance.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree. There was seemingly no need to let a very good slid keeper go and spend £1mil on a replacement tbh... Just don't see the logic. We'd def have conceded less with him in goal this tear although Stockdales' distribution is better...

There's not a great deal in it. TK's first season we conceded 43, his second season 40 (not including playoffs)
So far, Stockdale has conceded 45 with an inferior defence in front of him.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Tk played behind a far better defence and confident midfield. Stockdale has been left exposed time and again (especially first half of the season)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You simply cannot surmise that. It's pointless. How many more would we have conceded from crosses that Stockdale dealt with, without fuss?

Take the Derby game as a prime example. Derby delivered 31 crosses into our box. DS caught about 15 of them. If TK had stood on his line, allowed three more headers at goal, let one in, but made two blinding reflex saves (that DS through his good technical work, never had to make at all) you'd be saying TK had the better performance.

I appreciate you can't say for sure but my opinion is it would be less. Stockdales made too many mistakes. I never noticed Kusch being particularly caught out by crosses tbh... My point is more an opinion than ila fact of course.. I do like Stockdale, I just think Kusch was better overall let alone the business side of it - even if you think Stockdale is better, is he really a million quid better? And let alone not getting a few for Kusch...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There's not a great deal in it. TK's first season we conceded 43, his second season 40 (not including playoffs)
So far, Stockdale has conceded 45 with an inferior defence in front of him.

I appreciate my points are hyperthetical and so is yours but there's no way you can compare a season on season for goals conceded. Different games, players around them etc. We'll never know, I just think DS has made too many silly errors and not stopped shots TK would have. Not a huge amount in it but that's def my opinion so far...

Various match reports from Tuesday, and we are told by some nameless source that DS's feet are the big advantage.

"It was to prove a costly miss, with Reading going ahead in the 24th minute after a weak clearance from Stockdale" Guardian

"It was the hosts who went ahead on 24 minutes thanks to a gift from Albion. David Stockdale’s poor clearance went straight to the home side" Argus

"And they finally ended their long wait for a Madejski Stadium goal when Mackie struck on 24 minutes. There seemed little one when Stockdale had the ball at his feet in his penalty area but the Brighton keeper made a hash of his clearance, presenting it straight to Akpan 30 yards out." Get Reading.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In fairness to DS he has improved in recent games especially in the collecting of crosses compared to his performances when he first came here which were poor. Where TK takes the lead is pulling off the unexpected saves but DS distribution is far better than TK. All in all I think at the moment TK under Poyet edges it but DS is improving. Just hope DS comes out on top tomorrow and TK is as bad as some of the goalkeeping experts on here say he is.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Various match reports from Tuesday, and we are told by some nameless source that DS's feet are the big advantage.

"It was to prove a costly miss, with Reading going ahead in the 24th minute after a weak clearance from Stockdale" Guardian

"It was the hosts who went ahead on 24 minutes thanks to a gift from Albion. David Stockdale’s poor clearance went straight to the home side" Argus

"And they finally ended their long wait for a Madejski Stadium goal when Mackie struck on 24 minutes. There seemed little one when Stockdale had the ball at his feet in his penalty area but the Brighton keeper made a hash of his clearance, presenting it straight to Akpan 30 yards out." Get Reading.

Clearly the reporters were not at the game or they were having a kip like the real culprit

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I appreciate you can't say for sure but my opinion is it would be less. Stockdales made too many mistakes. I never noticed Kusch being particularly caught out by crosses tbh... My point is more an opinion than ila fact of course.. I do like Stockdale, I just think Kusch was better overall let alone the business side of it - even if you think Stockdale is better, is he really a million quid better? And let alone not getting a few for Kusch...

I think that one of the reasons TK didn't make a lot of mistakes on crosses was that he very rarely came for them. I believe Stockdale takes far more crosses and could, therefor, be seen to make more errors. And there's no way we could get money for TK, he was a free agent for half the season and no one wanted him at the price he was asking (which i wouldn't think was any higher than we were paying him).

Oh well, a goalkeeper is going to get crucified on here tonight, such is the NSC way. Let's hope it's not ours :thumbsup:

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
PIG had woeful distribution and was stuck to his goal line, he never came out for a cross and it is alleged, scored off the pitch regularly! DS is better and improves game by game, after all with Greer in front of him, he will always get lots of practice.

I didn't ever understand the love in for PIG, he was way behind any number of Brighton keepers I have seen: Powney, Grummit, Steele, Moseley, Digweed, Stockdale and even Walton. He just looked good following Brez and Ankagren.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
PIG had woeful distribution and was stuck to his goal line, he never came out for a cross and it is alleged, scored off the pitch regularly! DS is better and improves game by game, after all with Greer in front of him, he will always get lots of practice.

I didn't ever understand the love in for PIG, he was way behind any number of Brighton keepers I have seen: Powney, Grummit, Steele, Moseley, Digweed, Stockdale and even Walton. He just looked good following Brez and Ankagren.

The goalkeepers prime job is to stop goals so I would put PIG above most of those as one of thd best ever for us the only other contenders for us were Roberts, Gill possibly Grummitt but certainly not most of those you have listed. Only my opinion of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here