Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prescription Charges free in Wales and Scotland but £8.40 in England....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Surely the majority of the population are working people.

in work numbers are shy of 30 million. of those most generally aren't ill (at least not all the time), so its a relatively small group that pay.

There would be no point in having a Scottish Government or a Welsh Government if they were required to run things the English way.

I guess the Manchester authorities now have the power to set their own prescription charges.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
On the downside, you have to live in Scotland or Wales.

I am sure there is a rationale explanation for this but I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me please.

Thanks.

Yes, they have social democratic style governments and England has a Tory one. It's as simple as that, people voting a certain way.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Proper branded 200 dose Ventolin asthma inhaler bought over the counter in the Canaries with no prescription for 2.68 Euros last week. WTF are we paying eight quid plus and jumping through everybodys time wasting prescription hoops for the exactly same product in the UK?! ???

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
On the occasions that i have a prescription often as not the pharmacist asks me if i need to pay, when i say yes he often rips up the prescription and gives me the item off the shelf, normally works out half the price of the prescription charge.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Proper branded 200 dose Ventolin asthma inhaler bought over the counter in the Canaries with no prescription for 2.68 Euros last week. WTF are we paying eight quid plus and jumping through everybodys time wasting prescription hoops for the exactly same product in the UK?! ???

You're subsidising the more expensive drugs.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You're subsidising the more expensive drugs.

Who? Us or the Spanish? would have hoped it was a level Europe-wide playing field cost-wise, let alone the nonsensical jumping through hoops for a lifelong asthmatic has to do to get his or her Ventolin fix. Reckon the NHS could reduce some very major costs by simplifying the whole thing. Current set-up just seems seriously stupid. No wonder people buy drugs off the internet. Sake!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Who? Us or the Spanish? would have hoped it was a level Europe-wide playing field cost-wise, let alone the nonsensical jumping through hoops for a lifelong asthmatic has to do to get his or her Ventolin fix. Reckon the NHS could reduce some very major costs by simplifying the whole thing. Current set-up just seems seriously stupid. No wonder people buy drugs off the internet. Sake!

It's subsidising us. Some drugs for some conditions are more expensive, but prescription charges are the same whatever the drug.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's subsidising us. Some drugs for some conditions are more expensive, but prescription charges are the same whatever the drug.

Hard to not think something's far wrong tho, when you go on holiday to mainland Europe and most of the (medicinal) drugs that most people take most of the time cost next to nothing and don't even need a prescription. Hard not to come to the cliched conclusions about 'The Nanny State' and 'Rip-Off Britain'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hard to not think something's far wrong tho, when you go on holiday to mainland Europe and most of the (medicinal) drugs that most people take most of the time cost next to nothing and don't even need a prescription. Hard not to come to the cliched conclusions about 'The Nanny State' and 'Rip-Off Britain'.

I suppose it depends on what doctors consider prescription drugs. Ventolin is not supposed to be used willy nilly, as there should be a steroid preventative inhaler to go with it.
I paid 15 euros for antibiotics when I had an infected insect bite, in France.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I suppose it depends on what doctors consider prescription drugs. Ventolin is not supposed to be used willy nilly, as there should be a steroid preventative inhaler to go with it.
I paid 15 euros for antibiotics when I had an infected insect bite, in France.

Me bruv's partner (an ex NHS ward sister) could buy last month in the Canaries pills for her high blood pressure without prescription at a fraction of the cost and rigmarole that would be applicable in the UK. It's all a bit of a nonsense IMHO.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Me bruv's partner (an ex NHS ward sister) could buy last month in the Canaries pills for her high blood pressure without prescription at a fraction of the cost and rigmarole that would be applicable in the UK. It's all a bit of a nonsense IMHO.

Obviously as she has been a ward sister, she knows what she is doing. I would find it worrying that drugs with side effects are just on general sale.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Tho any drug I ever legally bought always had a list of possible side-effects as long as yer arm.

This makes me chuckle.....makes it sound like you have frequented the streets and alleys for illicit type drugs...as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here