Premiership football at the Albion? That'll cost you...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
But why should it cost us more (travel levy notwithstanding)? Perhaps it's about time clubs woke up to the fact that most of us are in the financial shit & there are limits to what's affordable (including mercenary footballers, their agents & those goddam 'fixers'). A minority of the current 18,000 ST Holders paid through the nose in order to keep the club alive at Withdean: & I for one would be appalled if they were to show their gratitude by chasing monied, wannabe match-goers who would f*** off at the merest whiff of a relegation fight. I'd like to believe our new stadium has the word 'Community' in it for a good reason.

I'm not against a price increase if we get promoted to the Premiership. It all depends on how much.

£30/£40 increase I can deal with. But £100-£200? I think most of us would think twice.

The club should have the decency to tell us NOW how much a proposed rise would be before we all commit to a season ticket for next season.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
The dynamics of this are interesting. An increase of £100 per ticket - perhaps a bit more for the pricier ones would give the club extra revenue of perhaps £3 million - that's a drop in the ocean compared to the TV revenues any Premier League club gets and would incrementally make little difference to the playing budget and likely success on the pitch.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I'm not against a price increase if we get promoted to the Premiership. It all depends on how much.

£30/£40 increase I can deal with. But £100-£200? I think most of us would think twice.

The club should have the decency to tell us NOW how much a proposed rise would be before we all commit to a season ticket for next season.

This

Club could easily have said "in the event of us winning promotion to PL season tcickets would rise by X%/amount". STs could then make an informed choice instead of maybe in two months time finding they can't afford the increase and having to hand back their ST plus all the hastle of getting their money back.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

Fair enough miles, but why should prices need to rise for Premiershite football - when the financial rewards for the club being in it are patently obvious?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Premier league is worth £40M, how about using that to help finance (pay back TB) the stadium and keep ticket prices to affordable levels, rather than stuffing it in the pockets of mercenary footballers and their agents.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I pay £460 for WSU. Not the best seat but far from the worst. Similarily, I was in the centre section of the Withdean south stand so I would argue that they are comparable (in price bracket). We paid over the odds to keep the club going and to meet the transport requirements of us playing at Withdean. I think my last Withdean ticket was £425 so there was an increase last year of £65 if you take into account the travel vouchers. That's a 15% increase. Next year they are sneaking in a slight increase by charging £30 for travel for only 23 games whereas this year the vouchers are for 23 league and upto 7 cup games.

Withdean tickets were amongst the highest in both league one and two and don't recall us ever getting a reduction following the two relegations during that period so not sure the same would happen if, having got promoted, we get relegated again. Premiership is supposedly worth upto £50/60 m so cannot understand why the long suffering Albion fan should be asked to subsidise this even further. I believe there are plenty of premiership clubs who charge a lot less for season tickets than we do (a little research required I think) so if we do get promoted we should be looking at comparing ourselves to the likes of Fulham, Wigan and Bolton rather than other clubs. Hopefully we will get promoted but I hope to got the club aren't going to abuse that.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You would expect to pay more for the better quality product -the difference between playing Doncaster, Peterborough and Milwall compared to Manchesters CIty and United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc. It's like the difference between staying at a Travelodge or the Ritz, or buying Aldi own brand compared to Marks & Spencer.

The only problem would be whether we could cope with the several steps up in class every week (which will cost a fortune).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
1901 seats are on a 5 year contract so they will remain the same

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You would expect to pay more for the better quality product -the difference between playing Doncaster, Peterborough and Milwall compared to Manchesters CIty and United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc. It's like the difference between staying at a Travelodge or the Ritz, or buying Aldi own brand compared to Marks & Spencer.

The only problem would be whether we could cope with the several steps up in class every week (which will cost a fortune).

So you know that our prices this year are less than similar sized clubs in the premiership then?

D

Deleted member 18477

I can handle a 20-25% increase. 30% at a push. Anymore and I will have to go game by game I think when I have spare cash. I pay 460 ATM in WSU. So 600 really is my limit currently. sharing a ST if the price increase is too high is also a potential option.

Unfortunately mortgage, gas/electricity, food, petrol, insurance etc come first. Football is my pure luxury.

P.s and seeing as there are only 7 or 8 clubs with more expensive ST prices than ours in the prem ATM the prices are already fairly high and have been for a few years. That's living down south for you though. I'd be twice as rich living in Norwich, stoke or Wigan. f*** that though I'd rather be just comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports