Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premiership crowds on the slide?

I've just read Denis Cambells excellent article in todays observer entitled "the game that ate itself". There is a link below although it's only part of the main article. After peaking in 02/03 it would appear crowds are on the slide in the premiership. The main view amongst fans? Surprisingly...cost! Interestingly, Arsenal haven't sold out a single premiership game this season. After years of being fleeced by greedy clubs and their employees on the field, many fans are saying enough is enough. Plus the fact that you can have football on tap in your lounge sometimes seven days a week is also a factor. Is this the begining of the end for the premiership gravy train? Judging by comments from fans interviewed, the warning signs are there. One of the most cutting comments comes from a Palace fan. ..."I've grown to hate the premiership over the last five years or so, simply because of the hyperbole surrounding it all day every day". "I've noticed it even more since we got promoted". "For me, the championship will always be a more exciting league than the top flight, with or without Palace".

"When" we get Falmer, whoever is running the club MUST make it financially viable for those on "average" incomes to come and watch football without having to apply for a second mortgage. Anyone who believes we will fill Falmer week in week out no matter what, is fooling themselves. One only has to look at Reading. Despite being second and being reasonably priced compared to many clubs, they are struggling to put bums on seats. The warning signs are there for many clubs.........

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1334804,00.html

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's valid criticisim and it's what we've been saying for years. We've always sneered at Scotland for having an uncompetitive, mickey-mouse league but the Premiership is fast going (or already gone) that way - certainly with regard to competitiveness. However, not that it worries the global brands like Man U. Aren't they planning another extension to Old Trafford? It's the smaller clubs (Blackburn, Southampton) who are suffering the most.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
And games like Southampton v Birmingham today will get the crowds flocking back.
Unlike the Championship which is genuinely competitive and at the start of the season anyone could have won it and loads still in with a chance whereas the Premiership is a two horse race already.
I wonder what will happen when the next TV contract comes up for renewal and Sky decide they are not interested or wish to scale back their coverage like they have recently done with the boxing.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Ernest said:
And games like Southampton v Birmingham today will get the crowds flocking back.
Unlike the Championship which is genuinely competitive and at the start of the season anyone could have won it and loads still in with a chance whereas the Premiership is a two horse race already.
I wonder what will happen when the next TV contract comes up for renewal and Sky decide they are not interested or wish to scale back their coverage like they have recently done with the boxing.

That would be outstanding-then all of of those clubs who look down their noses at teams like ours will be struggling to make ends meet. Then the likes of Dick Tight will be looked upon with envy... them.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here