Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League: your feelings after 3 years?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Not a fan , as much as love my club I detest VAR and that the Premier league brand of football is a completely different game to what the other leagues play .

VAR is ripping the very soul out of football , waiting for one bloke miles away to say it's fine to celebrate now after scoring is a bloody joke , some of the decisions have been farcical and even with all that technology ultimately it's what a human thinks ,so for me VAR has ruined the game in so many ways .

I actually can't be bothered to travel much to the games anymore due to the costs involved , and the nagging thought that somebody's fingernail may be caught offside after scoring .

It's fantastic to see us playing top flight football again after decades watching us yo yo between the divisions but in all honesty I enjoyed the championship and league 1 a hell of a lot more , even at withers and gillingham there was a certain bond between fans that went to the games that has been lost amongst the corporate bollox of the Premier league.

Don't get me wrong , I don't want us to go down and will be forever grateful to Tony Bloom for all he's done , but if we did I wouldn't be crying into my cashmere sweater.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, agree with this. In short, the Championship is the most exciting league -- certainly in the UK, and potentially even across the world -- but the PL is an opportunity, however brief, to test ourselves. I'm enjoying watching how the likes of Bloom, Potter, Dunk, etc are getting on against the cream of the crop. The PL is deathly dull and too predictable, however, there's a top six/seven as others have said whose survival and top ten status is more or less guaranteed, and everyone else is living on borrowed time.

The Championship may well be exciting, but that's mainly because clubs are going hell for leather to try and reach the Premier League. We're already there, so prefer to look up rather than down. The likes of Burnley and Sheffield United have shown that #teamslikebrighton can have their day in the sun, however fleeting. How long before we're grumbling about playing teams we never heard of in the Europa League on a thursday night? Bring it on!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Of course has been enjoyable but sometimes seems we are there for the purpose to just make many people very wealthy

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I think its possible to break into that half a dozen clubs that are very difficult to relegate/would immediatly bounce up. The key is to do the "impossible" once: reaching the Champions League and use the extra money and the status wisely, like improving your youth academy and expanding the stadium. Once you consistently produce great players and got a 45-50k+ arena its going to be difficult for most clubs to compete.

Newcastle and Leeds had the chance but ruined it through mismanagement and incompetence. Arsenal however showed it can be done. Yes they have always been a fairly big club but aside for one or two titles in the 80s/early 90s, how much success did they have in the last 50 years before Wenger? They snowballed his success and now they can **** up over and over without even getting close to relegation.

Sort of the same thing with Chelsea, though thats a pretty different story since their success story is pretty artificial. That said, they are now a club strong enough to be competitive even if Abramovich would stop investing and just scratch his scrotum for ten years.

It is definitely possible to establish the club above the eternal yoyos if it is done wisely. It is surprising that another few clubs havent managed to do it so far since the money in PL should allow you to build a club that is generally going to crush any newcomer. I think Brighton and a few other current PL clubs could be able to do so - my guess is that in ten years the league will be (unfortunately) a lot more stabile with 15 or so clubs just crushing the bottom 5-ish year out year in.

Only 5 League Titles (1948,1971, 1989 & 1991)
2 League Cups (1987 & 1993)
4 FA Cups (1950, 1971, 1979, 1993)
3 Community (Charity) Shields (1948, 1953 & 1991)
1 Cup Winner Cup (1994)
1 Fairs (UEFA) Cup 1970

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I yearn for our return to the Championship where flasks and bottle tops would be allowed to return with us.

Not really, of course but our club was far less "corporate" then with none of these daft rules.

In the Championship every game was winnable so every game was far more competetive.

One of the stats on Saturday night was that Man City had FIVE players with 10+ goals. We haven't got one. Maupay has done his best and I feel a bit sorry for Connolly who surely wouldn't have had so much responsibility placed on his shoulders had Potter decided that he didn't fancy managing Andone. We have to get a centre forward in to replace Murray then Connolly can revert to doing his bit whilst continuing to learn his trade. We can't send him out on loan as he would still be required to cover for Maupay / new striker.

Doing a Norwich or West Brom and bouncing between the two divisions wouldn't be an issue for me; best of both worlds. But I'm not sure that Mr Chairman would agree. We would always be competetive in the Champioship whereas we know we are never going to breakthrough to the top 6 or even the top 10 without a huge investment....and that would only be achievable if the club was sold to a country............. and I don't think any of us would want that.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
To be owned by The Sultan of Brunei and then start skirting with Europe or even the Champions League..... fancy it ?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Look at Stoke. They kicked on and finished ninth three seasons in a row. And where are they now?

For all but half a dozen clubs - maybe seven if you include Everton - the only certainty is that eventually they will have a bad season and go down. Leicester, Sheffield United, Wolves, Palace, Southampton - it will happen to them all. We are no different.

Enjoy it while we're here. And then enjoy the Championship again.

Absolutely bang on.

Enjoy it while we're here. There are pros and cons of course, but there's no point in spending the whole time pining for the Championship.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Not really, how for starters would American Express feel about it, I like the name The Amex stadium has a ring to it.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

The Sultans Ring.......................... no

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Enjoying it. I think the Premier League is on the cusp of a golden era, with depth at the top level. For ages we had United, Liverpool, Arsenal, then Chelsea joined them to make a big 4, which became a big 6 and now we have Wolves and Leicester settling in as top sides, Everton may finally be awakening by appointing Ancelloti, Newcastle about to get very rich, West Ham playing out of the biggest stadium in the league, Leeds are almost back and they'll kick on I'm sure. The future is bright for real top level competition.

What I'm enjoying about us is that we're not just going all out to survive, changing our story if play depending on opposition, spending all our money on wages and transfer fees, doing what it takes - until inevitably we go down and have little to show for it - a la Stoke - instead we are building, building, building a club that could - could - rub shoulders with those guys for more than just one or two lucky seasons. The rest of the football world may see a small club fighting relegation each season, but under the surface there is so much going on that will burst through at some stage.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The cheating in this league is astonishingly bad.
The bias (media and referees) towards a small handful of clubs is ridiculous.
The gap between the top and bottom halves makes it a non-competition.
The rescheduling of matches all the way through the season has meant I've missed a number of matches over the 3 seasons (I cannot understand why they can't call the TV matches at the beginning of the season for the entire first half, and then maybe at Christmas for the second half of the season).
And the introduction of VAR this season has all but broken it for me.

I have one season left on my 5 year season ticket. If VAR does not get a wholesale revamp for next season then that will be the straw that breaks it for me, I won't be renewing, I shall give me football money to a non league side.
I'll always be a Brighton fan, but as the saying goes, Modern Football is Shit.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Don’t miss The Championship one bit. Give me 1 win over Arsenal than 5 wins against QPR, Birmingham, Hull City, Brentford and Ipswich any day of the week. The top table is where it’s at and what gets us remembered.

We are seen as a bit of joke to a vast amount of football fans because of our short time in the top flight. Staying there is making us bigger and better.

Plus, the longer we stay up, we can acquire a squad good enough to give the cups a good go as they are the only things we, realistically, have any chance of winning.

Something I’ve noticed is that (most of the time) defeats in the top flight don’t hurt as much as in the lower divisions. Not sure if that’s a good thing or bad.

I think losing the necessity of winning to achieve our overall goal is what kills some of the excitement in way. If we were good enough and set our sets on the Europa League, then that would change.

Maybe that’s why I love the cups so much, because it’s do or die.

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Hate it. Enjoyed the first season. Hate VAR and all the money involved in it now. Totally lost interest being a season ticket holder. Thankfully i won't be there next season.

Happy with a dodgy stream or radio.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I wasn't desperate for us to reach the PL as I liked Championship football. But now I'd hate to go back down.

Yes, too many of our games, like City this week, are mismatches, and for us even to become a mid-table side is looking like a hard old slog.

But when we perform well at this level, and get results against bigger sides like Spurs, Arsenal and Man Utd, the feeling is pretty good.

Plus the standard of football that we play – even as a bottom-end PL side – is very good when you compare it to what most of us have grown up with watching BHA.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
As I've said before - I think I enjoyed the Championship more. I don't think there are many people on here who didn't enjoy seeing us win all the time.

The 'Top Table' feels quite soulless to me - but we get to see an elite level of players whom the rest of the world stare at in wonderment, wishing they could see the PL in their own country. I suppose I'm lucky to have great seats and a Season Ticket to see it all here at the Amex.

The main reason I want us to stay up is for Uncle Tony to start getting his money back. He deserves that. Secondly to see what GP can do. As each year goes by, and he shapes the team how he wants, I'm sure we'll get better. Right up until the point he gets noticed, and poached from us by a bigger club. FFS

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
When we beat the big boys it's unbelievably good ....

It's just a shame we've had man u , liverpool and city all in a row. That's put a recent dampener on what's been a pretty good season.

Apart from those 3 games and maybe utd and city away I feel we have competed. We are close to being a pretty good team and have some top quality internationals now.

I'm still really enjoying it.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Don’t miss The Championship one bit. Give me 1 win over Arsenal than 5 wins against QPR, Birmingham, Hull City, Brentford and Ipswich any day of the week. The top table is where it’s at and what gets us remembered.

We are seen as a bit of joke to a vast amount of football fans because of our short time in the top flight. Staying there is making us bigger and better.

Plus, the longer we stay up, we can acquire a squad good enough to give the cups a good go as they are the only things we, realistically, have any chance of winning.

Something I’ve noticed is that (most of the time) defeats in the top flight don’t hurt as much as in the lower divisions. Not sure if that’s a good thing or bad.

I think losing the necessity of winning to achieve our overall goal is what kills some of the excitement in way. If we were good enough and set our sets on the Europa League, then that would change.

Maybe that’s why I love the cups so much, because it’s do or die.

Where on earth have you been?! No Premier League club values the cups anymore and only puts out the second string, including us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here