Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League - Void or positions stand ?

What will Premier League do ?

• Null & Void

Votes: 198 58.2%
  • Current Positions stand

Votes: 54 15.9%
  • Something else

Votes: 88 25.9%

• Total voters

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I believe that this season should finish before another one starts. If the worst predictions are true about the peak etc then next season isn't starting in August either. Realise that players contracts etc etc but it's no more than having transfers during the season which used to be the case. The 2020-21 season could just be a case of finishing this one or a far more condensed one e.g no cup competitions or every team playing each other once.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Villa has played one game less and two points behind the two teams above. This one will be interesting!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
But seriously, my vote would go to cancel this season, no trophies, no promotions or relegations. Each team, throughout the pyramid, then Starts next season on 50% of the points they have accrued this season.

As for players contracts, then it’s time for ‘agents’ to do some real work for their clients rather than just try and get the most money for them.

The Organisations that run the game are awash with cash, the sponsorship deals still stand, so there should be no excuse on that front

A little simplistic maybe, but I only pay to watch (finance) the game, the intelligentsia should be able to flesh it out..

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
But seriously, my vote would go to cancel this season, no trophies, no promotions or relegations. Each team, throughout the pyramid, then Starts next season on 50% of the points they have accrued this season.

As for players contracts, then it’s time for ‘agents’ to do some real work for their clients rather than just try and get the most money for them.

The Organisations that run the game are awash with cash, the sponsorship deals still stand, so there should be no excuse on that front

A little simplistic maybe, but I only pay to watch (finance) the game, the intelligentsia should be able to flesh it out..

This. I think it will slowly dawn on those morons at the FA that the virus will have so much effect on society temporarily, that running
matches and all that surround them is completely impractical until later in the year (August/September). At that point it is just easier to
start again. None of this 'let's finish the season' nonsense.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I believe we will be relegated if the season continued as before, null is void is the best option for our own selfish reasons.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The answer to that is don't relegate teams. Just promote them, then sort out the numbers at the end of next season.
All the way though the league's? Top three at four currently go up? Only Liverpool are clear in terms of league standing - no one else. It would be so unfair.

Better to void the season, it really is the only option

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
If the fixtures can’t be completed. Then this seasons PL should be void. They could award Liverpool with a trophy as recognition for their brilliant effort this season maybe a shield or something. They could call it the Victory And Recognition shield or the VAR shield for short.

Phil, that was super. And that's why you are called it. Laughed at that; bravo.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Said on another thread;
Auto promotions only. No relegations. PL has 22 teams next season with 5 teams relegated.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
All the way though the league's? Top three at four currently go up? Only Liverpool are clear in terms of league standing - no one else. It would be so unfair.

Better to void the season, it really is the only option

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Yes, all the way through the leagues. You're right that this 'no play-offs/no relegation' option would be tough on clubs in and around the play-off positions (also those chasing Champions League places), but surely the alternative of simply voiding would be unfair to many more clubs? And voiding would open up the possibility of TV companies demanding refunds for the whole of the current season. Even stopping the season early would be very expensive.

It's an impossible situation and I do respect everyone else's suggestions - and Superphil's suggestion that clubs carry over 50 per cent of current points into next season is particularly intriguing.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I think if it continues to get worse, and it will void the season.
If things improve, suspend the Euros and complete the leagues in the summer.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
No !

I am talking about having a 22 team season next year, but NOT relegating 5 teams in 1 season. Spread the load, and no playoffs next year.

Why should Leeds & West Brom get promoted, just because they are currently occupying those positions, if it was mathematically certain they would have a legitimate case. As it stands they do not.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Why should Leeds & West Brom get promoted, just because they are currently occupying those positions, if it was mathematically certain they would have a legitimate case. As it stands they do not.
Yes, I agree.

But my point was about IF we have a 22 team PL, to flatten the relegation curve over 2 seasons - don't have 5 teams down in 1 hit, have 2 seasons of 3 down, 2 up ( maybe no playoffs, or playoffs for 2nd promotion spot).

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Yes, I agree.

But my point was about IF we have a 22 team PL, to flatten the relegation curve over 2 seasons - don't have 5 teams down in 1 hit, have 2 seasons of 3 down, 2 up ( maybe no playoffs, or playoffs for 2nd promotion spot).

Oh okay, but IF that happened why not just leave the PL and Championship with 22 teams indefinitely?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes, all the way through the leagues. You're right that this 'no play-offs/no relegation' option would be tough on clubs in and around the play-off positions (also those chasing Champions League places), but surely the alternative of simply voiding would be unfair to many more clubs? And voiding would open up the possibility of TV companies demanding refunds for the whole of the current season. Even stopping the season early would be very expensive.

It's an impossible situation and I do respect everyone else's suggestions - and Superphil's suggestion that clubs carry over 50 per cent of current points into next season is particularly intriguing.

Not sure why the tv companies would have the right to claim back money for games they have already broadcast!!!

Also, why would it be unfair to more teams if the season is voided? Not one position is yet settled

As for the 50% carried over, that seems rather arbitrary and not sure what it achieves as it applies to everyone. There will be clubs that have played those around them away and are hoping to pick up more points in the home game so that would seem unfair.

I think the only thing most can agree on is that this season is never going to get played out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here