Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League - Void or positions stand ?

What will Premier League do ?

• Null & Void

Votes: 198 58.2%
  • Current Positions stand

Votes: 54 15.9%
  • Something else

Votes: 88 25.9%

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"Something else".

Paul Barber thinks the title should go to Liverpool and, as much as it would be funny not to, they do deserve it. Then bring Leeds and WBA up and run a 22 team PL for one season, running it off again with 2 promotions (no play off) and 4 relegation. None of this would be FUNNY as the entitled fans of Villa and Leeds get what they want and so do plastic Mickeys everywhere but it is the most fair and will see the new season able to start with minimal legal nonsense.

More interesting is what happens internationally. With the Euros likely to be postponed by a year that potentially means a summer tournament in 2021 and a winter tournament in 2022. So the only issue with the above solution is that it would lead to more games having to be fitted into a tighter window.

Nevertheless, it is what I think will happen.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Use the ‘super-computer’ to calculate the outcome of the remainder of the season.

It’s usually REALLY accurate.

Our chairman makes a load of money predicting the outcome of matches. If the matches can't be completed the PL should give him the job of deciding the outcome of all remaining matches. I can't see how that could go wrong.........

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
What do you think the Premier League will do ?

Declare the season null and void and start again next season

or

Current positions stand (with some sort of fudge for games in hand - 1-1 draws ?)

or

Something else entirely ?

(It's really which is funnier, Villa getting relegated or Leeds not getting promoted)

Liverpool not winning the league and Leeds not getting promoted. Win double. :lolol: I'll drink to that.:drink:

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
"Something else".

Paul Barber thinks the title should go to Liverpool and, as much as it would be funny not to, they do deserve it. Then bring Leeds and WBA up and run a 22 team PL for one season, running it off again with 2 promotions (no play off) and 4 relegation. None of this would be FUNNY as the entitled fans of Villa and Leeds get what they want and so do plastic Mickeys everywhere but it is the most fair and will see the new season able to start with minimal legal nonsense.

More interesting is what happens internationally. With the Euros likely to be postponed by a year that potentially means a summer tournament in 2021 and a winter tournament in 2022. So the only issue with the above solution is that it would lead to more games having to be fitted into a tighter window.

This is the fairest option I've heard by far

The only teams with any grievance would be possible playoff teams, but I'm sure teams in the bottom 8 of the Prem would be happy to send them a few million in compensation each.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You’ll have Kane back too of course and we may have Izquierdo. If the season does get back on track clubs should certainly be able to use their newly fit players. The bottom three, even if we are one of them deserve to go down. I won’t complain if McGinn was the reason Villa stayed up over us.

The clear winner on first teams would be Spurs, getting back all the missing players.

Whereas Izquierdo, for example, had a patchy performance record, but his reputation has shot up as the months have passed.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The clear winner on first teams would be Spurs, getting back all the missing players.

Whereas Izquierdo, for example, had a patchy performance record, but his reputation has shot up as the months have passed.
We get Andone back on July 1st, and White, Molumby and Clarke return on June 1st.

Balogun becomes a free agent on July 1st, not sure if he'd sign for Wigan or go elsewhere.

Sadly, we lose Schelotto and Kayal on June 30th.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
"Something else".

Makes sense.

But what about the CL places? Assuming Mansour’s Citeh are banned for at least next season, that leaves:
Leicester
Manure
Wolves
Spurs
Sheffield Utd
Chelsea
even Arsenal

= 7 vying for 3 slots. A rather large cheque won’t sort it, some of those clubs believe their amazing with their new managers and with another transfer window to come, can win the CL.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
TV companies: We want our money back
Premier League: No problem
TV companies: Whilst we are here what is the price for the next TV rights
Premier League: Oh that just went up 200%

Not sure the premier league dictate the price, is it not down to a bidding war?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We get Andone back on July 1st, and White, Molumby and Clarke return on June 1st.

Balogun becomes a free agent on July 1st, not sure if he'd sign for Wigan or go elsewhere.

Sadly, we lose Schelotto and Kayal on June 30th.

Spurs get back Kane, Son, Sissoko and Bergwijn.
Bmuff .... Brooks and Daniels.
Villa .... Heaton, Wesley and McGinn.

Big winners imho from an extended season. Complicated innit.

A further huge reason why Bloom and Barber will want an abandoned season a.s.a.p., with the blue-tinted goggles on.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Spurs get back Kane, Son, Sissoko and Bergwijn.
Bmuff .... Brooks and Daniels.
Villa .... Heaton, Wesley and McGinn.

Big winners imho from an extended season. Complicated innit.

A further huge reason why Bloom and Barber will want an abandoned season a.s.a.p., with the blue-tinted goggles on.
I hadn't thought if that. The integrity of the season would be gone if it is extended.

Barber's plan seems a good one, but I have a reservation that Leeds and West Brom are not far enough ahead, given they still both have to play Fulham.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
This is the fairest option I've heard by far

The only teams with any grievance would be possible playoff teams, but I'm sure teams in the bottom 8 of the Prem would be happy to send them a few million in compensation each.

I've wittered on about this solution a couple of times on this thread. The play-off candidates would indeed be aggrieved, together with the handful of clubs hoping to climb into Champions League places.

The point is though that a perfect and equitable solution doesn't exist - this one comes closest.

I'd see it applying across the top four levels.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There's a fair few options, but if football doesn't get started again until September /October that lessens the options still available somewhat ???

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Why don't you want Liverpool to win the league?

FFS, I'm just trying to humour someone who sees things in very simple terms and now you're picking on me for it :shrug:

*edit*

I've just thought about it, and it's quite funny. Not the Liverpool thing, you having a pop at me. It was my own fault for being condescending :lolol:

Last edited:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Over half the season gone, I would go with where we are, two up, bottom two down etc. Nothing is going to be perfect. Then await the start of the new season in Jan Feb next year.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
From the Mail :

"In another complication however there are 69 Premier League players whose contracts expire on 30 June, including Willian and Pedro at Chelsea and Jan Vertonghen at Tottenham, a situation which threatens to put them on a collision course with their clubs."

It's got to be done and dusted before June 30th, otherwise the integrity of the season is gone.

No chance with the plague peak set to be late May / June.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
There's no good suggestion, because one suggestion is going to be good for some, but bad for others.

As others have indicated, the integrity of the season is more and more compromised with every single day that passes on 'hold'.

The least grievance would come from simply voiding it, with only a handful of clubs who will react badly - generally clubs that have plenty in the coffers.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if some convoluted 'solution' ends up coming to fruition so we can proclaim a few clubs as false champions and no biggy pissing off a couple of also-rans with relegation. Another sign of money ultimately talking.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
"Something else".

I think it’ll look something like this.....but relegation will be 3 confirmed and 17th into the playoffs with 3,4 &5 in the Championship in each of the next 2 seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here