Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League - Void or positions stand ?

What will Premier League do ?

• Null & Void

Votes: 198 58.2%
  • Current Positions stand

Votes: 54 15.9%
  • Something else

Votes: 88 25.9%

• Total voters

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
In the most Neil Lennon way possible, Neil Lennon has announced Celtic should be named champions if the Scottish season is ended.

He is such a little cretin, why does he feel the need to come out and say that today? There are far more important things going on than his own little ego trip. Wanker.

There's few people in Football I hate more than Neil Lennon.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No it doesn't, it really doesn't. Void the whole lot, no arguments.
Start again in August or September with the 2020-21 season as if tis one never happened.

Couldn't agree more.

Looking at the predicted peak of the virus in 14 weeks, I'll be surprised if we manage to start next season on time and can see a shortened or delayed 20/21 season. All the more reason to get on and void this one, as there is no way to 'catch up'. Suspending games is just putting off the inevitable.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This season needs to be finished, if so in the summer.
There’s too many ramifications for too many clubs, champions, promotions, relegations, budgets for next season, and threats of legal actions.

If the 2019/20 season is finished over the summer months it will almost certainly impact on the number of games to be played in the 2020/21 season so compromising that event, then preparation for Euro 2021 (as 2020 will surely be postponed for a year) and then there's the messed-up 2021/22 season because of the Qatar World Cup, player recovery times etc.

For those reasons I think the issue of the 2019/20 domestic season needs to be resolved swiftly. I'll also be very surprised if there were any legal challenges if the Prem make their decision based on established contingency plans. Players also won't want to be hanging around waiting to find out whether they'll be playing in the Prem or the Championship in 2020/21.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Case of not what is the best option but what is the least worst option! Seems void the season meets that criteria. Another way of looking at is what would they do if we were at war! You would be planning further than a couple of weeks!!

Depends who we are at war with. The Anglo-Zanzibar War was a military conflict fought between the United Kingdom and the Zanzibar Sultanate on 27 August 1896. The conflict lasted between 38 and 45 minutes.

Much as I'd like the season to be void, I just can't see it happening. It has to resume at some point in the future, with the current positions and current squads however far in the future that is. Next season's rules can be rewritten if necessary to get back on track - e.g. teams play each other only once.

What about players who are out of contract or who have moves lined up ? You cannot force them to play.

It makes you wonder, given the money at stake, is there not some pre-agreed disaster management plan in place. For example, if the season is halted before the halfway point then it’s null and void, after that league position based on points per game stand as the final table.

There certainly should be, and if there isn’t I guarantee you there will be in future.

I skim-read the FA and PL handbooks (yes, I am a bit bored now that Spain has closed down a load of stuff) and I couldn't find anything

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Expect that it'll probably be;
Suspend it now
Suspend it again it a few weeks
Be all ready to start again and someone else tests positive so suspend it again
Finally void the whole season off
Start 20/21 Season with all teams in same leagues they were

Pretty much this

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
surprised no one has suggested a limited shoot out held on a single day

each club nominates a player & keeper , 5 penalties each with result giving the match result win , draw or lose

could be completed in a day for each league and at least each club would stand an equal chance in the lottery that is a penalty shootout

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Suspend the season, finish it when you can. Keep smaller clubs alive. Reschedule next season when you know how long you've got to fit the games in. Probably only going to lose a month or two of the season, hardly a big deal

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Suspend the season, finish it when you can. Keep smaller clubs alive. Reschedule next season when you know how long you've got to fit the games in. Probably only going to lose a month or two of the season, hardly a big deal

Well the govt has predicted the peak being 10 to 12 weeks away so hardly a month or two. More like 3-5 months before things may calm down a little. I believe the season will be declared void.

edit: Unless you meant this season finishing in Oct or something.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
League positions organised by Points per game.
Can't have play offs so 2up 2down.
Use what would have been parachute money for third relegated team to increase others parachute payment plus sliding extra solidarity payments to championship positions 3-6.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Well the govt has predicted the peak being 10 to 12 weeks away so hardly a month or two. More like 3-5 months before things may calm down a little. I believe the season will be declared void.

If its 5 months from now.... Will start again mid - August, with teams able to train for the month before that. 10 games to play for some teams takes us 5 weeks so we'll finish about 15 September. A one month transfer window, start again mid October, by which point we've lost 8 game weeks. A slimmed down champions league and europa league, no league Cup or windscreens shield and no FA Cup replays, no winter break, and a season lasting a couple of weeks longer - that will be easy to accommodate. There will even be midweeks to spare.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
My radical suspicion is that Norwich, Brighton, Bmuff, Villa and Watford supporters want the null and void outcome.

Just an inkling.

That’s 5 votes at PL meetings.
You can throw West Ham into the mix there too ! Make that 6 votes !

[emoji106]
'The Athletic understands two clubs, reported to be Tottenham and West Ham, are in the “null and void” camp.'

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Plus is will be nice for have you squirming for a few months to come :wink:

I’m sure you meant no malice in that little bit of ‘bantz’ but it is rather ill-judged.

Along with millions of others, I will indeed be ‘squirming’ for a few months to come, on account of a good number of extremely vulnerable family members, at risk of very serious ill-health.

Right now, which league I’ll next watch the Albion in, comes a ****ing very distant second to who I’m going to be able to watch it with.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
'The Athletic understands two clubs, reported to be Tottenham and West Ham, are in the “null and void” camp.'

That’s hilarious because Spurs are probably banking on being included in next seasons Champions League if that happened on the basis they finished in the top 4 last season because they’ve no chance otherwise !

:lolol:

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
End the season now, respect promotion positions but disregard relegation and play off positions, adjust 2020/21 relegation numbers to allow each division to revert to current numbers by season 2021/22. Not fair, but fairer than any other option I can think of.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

No shock about Spuds, they’ve had an awful season in all 4 tournaments. Arsenal more so, I bet they’d love 2019/20 to be expunged from the records. West Ham have spent hugely in the last three years, yet flirt with returning to the EFL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here