Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League TV money distribution 2016/17

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Few things here that stand out for me 1 - the amount of tv games the top 6 teams have had vs the rest of the league (great in a way as we will be playing at 3pm Saturday and 2 - the revenue different between the top and bottom clubs. I think they should distribute this all evenly. Have prize money for finishing in the table but everything else is spread across everyone.

I also think they should introduce a US draft like process for free agents at the end of the season. All the free agents in the premier league are pooled together and the team finishing lowest gets to pick from the pool. May not work but its would start to close the gap!

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Few things here that stand out for me 1 - the amount of tv games the top 6 teams have had vs the rest of the league (great in a way as we will be playing at 3pm Saturday and 2 - the revenue different between the top and bottom clubs. I think they should distribute this all evenly. Have prize money for finishing in the table but everything else is spread across everyone.

That's pretty much how it works - bar the extra money per game, and the prize money for finishing in each place... Basically, it works the same as the championship - teams on tv most get more money than teams that arent on tv... except, the figures are 10x as much

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The top six clubs (Chelsea, Man U, Man C, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool) are attempting to dramatically cut the parachute payments because clubs going down are banking the parachute payments - getting back into the PL and then spending the money - which according to the top six is distorting the PL by driving up wage levels.

"Relegated clubs pushing up wage demands" :laugh::facepalm::wozza:

They will say anything to squeeze more money their way won't they. That has to be the least believable I've heard thus far.

Don't the rest of the league know they're not supposed to compete?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

The overall ratio of what 1st to bottom team receives is about 1.6:1 which is the most equitable of all the top European leagues so hardly a cause for grouse. QPR got £30m parachute payment, seems morethan fair to me.

Personally I don't expect the average Joe in Kuala Lumpur to be as interested in Albion v Huddersfield as in top six team v any team in PL.

Think we have to accept we are playing in a league of 19/20 (depending on where you put Everton) that has no relation to what happens between the top 6 unless we happen to pinch a point or 3 off any of them. Sky/BT are reacting to the reality of what people want to watch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here