Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League Summer Series - Philladelphia, Atlanta and New Jersey 22-28/7/23

Amcdermottroe

Mar 28, 2023
Burgess Hill
Not really that far away....
I know… if I remember rightly Barber said that they would announce it around Christmas time to allow people to plan, there has been a few rumours of us playing in a PL tournament across 3 cities. They should really announce it soon. Last season they didn’t announce anything until really late. Seems like they don’t want fans to attend. Might be worth not going and saving holidays for the European adventures we’re going to get next season.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Maybe seeing when we would be playing any qualifying game for European Football, as seem to recall that Burnley were playing games in July when they were in Europe, and it makes no sense to announce games in the USA, only then have to cancel.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not heard anything since this was last mentioned.

I can see Man Utd, Arsenal and, yes, Wrexham have confirmed some US tour details thus far.

No further news on the tournament that was mooted it seems...

In October, it was reported by The Athletic that plans had been set to organise an 'enhanced pre-season tournament' in the United States as part of a roadmap to hold 'competitive matches in strategic markets'.​
It's anticipated the event will take place in late July and could see around six Premier League clubs divided into two separate groups, each playing two round-robin style friendlies in various locations on the east and west coasts of America.​
The report claims 14 of the current 20 Premier League sides are keen.​

Amcdermottroe

Mar 28, 2023
Burgess Hill
Not heard anything since this was last mentioned.

I can see Man Utd, Arsenal and, yes, Wrexham have confirmed some US tour details thus far.

No further news on the tournament that was mooted it seems...

In October, it was reported by The Athletic that plans had been set to organise an 'enhanced pre-season tournament' in the United States as part of a roadmap to hold 'competitive matches in strategic markets'.​
It's anticipated the event will take place in late July and could see around six Premier League clubs divided into two separate groups, each playing two round-robin style friendlies in various locations on the east and west coasts of America.​
The report claims 14 of the current 20 Premier League sides are keen.​
I’d imagine we was one of them clubs as I remember Barber saying that American Express were keen to get us over to America for pre season.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I know… if I remember rightly Barber said that they would announce it around Christmas time to allow people to plan, there has been a few rumours of us playing in a PL tournament across 3 cities. They should really announce it soon. Last season they didn’t announce anything until really late. Seems like they don’t want fans to attend. Might be worth not going and saving holidays for the European adventures we’re going to get next season.
Definitely not the case that they don't want fans there but now rather than an independent trip it's now a Premier League branded tournament so there's a lot more external considerations.

We know it's happening and Naylor has said we'll have games in NJ and Philli

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
There are set to be as many as six Premier League clubs making the trip, with Brighton, Chelsea, Leeds United, and Newcastle United, as clubs set to take part in the friendlies according to The Athletic.

If you were happening to be on the east coast of America in the final week of July, you may find yourself with an opportunity to see the Albion abroad...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A football club putting fans travel interests first don't be silly
Because nothing has been finalised yet.

Some of you lot have a shock if we make it into Europe and maybe have a few weeks to book flights & accommodation

Amcdermottroe

Mar 28, 2023
Burgess Hill
Because nothing has been finalised yet.

Some of you lot have a shock if we make it into Europe and maybe have a few weeks to book flights & accommodation
There’s lots of different ways round Europe though, I know from doing England away and being told you’ve got a ticket 2 weeks before! Lots of different potential routes to make things cheaper! Going to America is a whole different ball game!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Maybe seeing when we would be playing any qualifying game for European Football, as seem to recall that Burnley were playing games in July when they were in Europe, and it makes no sense to announce games in the USA, only then have to cancel.

Yes that’s a very good point, that must be the case!
If we qualify for Europe the earliest we will play is the end of August (final qualifying round for Conference League) if we get into Europa League or Champions League we go straight into the group stage which starts in September.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There’s lots of different ways round Europe though, I know from doing England away and being told you’ve got a ticket 2 weeks before! Lots of different potential routes to make things cheaper! Going to America is a whole different ball game!
Yes and no, we’ve been told we would be west coast - so book whatever is cheap and then figure out internal flight / transport.

Personally I can’t get excited about a pre season friendly in the USA with the potential of European competitive football, but perhaps there are richer fans than me

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I don't agree, the options of getting to different cities in the US are numerous. Plenty of international carriers and plenty of domestic routes. It one of the few destinations that often have seats available using points.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Yes and no, we’ve been told we would be west coast - so book whatever is cheap and then figure out internal flight / transport.

Personally I can’t get excited about a pre season friendly in the USA with the potential of European competitive football, but perhaps there are richer fans than me
Where did you see West Coast?

I've been told East Coast (NY/NJ plus possibly Philadelphia and/or Atlanta.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sorry I meant East !

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

My thoughts exactly, why would you want to go to thicko-gun-world for a friendly when there's (potentially) European competition.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here