Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League squad lists have been announced

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
A link, for those interested.

A few notes:

1) Albion name a squad of 20 (plus, of course, the 62 U-21s)
2) Carl Rushworth is named
3) Joao Pedro qualifies as a HGP

SquadList.jpg

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Bit of strange one to have Rushworth in the list? Wonder if that is to avoid having to put him in the list if he comes back in January?

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Bit of strange one to have Rushworth in the list? Wonder if that is to avoid having to put him in the list if he comes back in January?
It is a bit unusual to see him listed (for instance Steven Alzate, also out on loan, isn't listed). If he were to return in January he could play anyway (obviously clubs making signings in the January transfer window don't have to wait until the window has closed before they register and use those players).

I can only assume that under a very unlikely set of circumstances, as a goalkeeper he may be able to be recalled by Albion prior to the January window opening and so they've included him just in case? Don't know enough about the loan regulations surrounding goalkeepers to know if that might be the legitimate reason.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It is a bit unusual to see him listed (for instance Steven Alzate, also out on loan, isn't listed). If he were to return in January he could play anyway (obviously clubs making signings in the January transfer window don't have to wait until the window has closed before they register and use those players).

I can only assume that under a very unlikely set of circumstances, as a goalkeeper he may be able to be recalled by Albion prior to the January window opening and so they've included him just in case? Don't know enough about the loan regulations surrounding goalkeepers to know if that might be the legitimate reason.
The U21 list is stuffed full of players who are out on loan - Ayari, Moran, Sarmiento, Beadle, Peupion, Kozlowski and so on... Alzate looks like the only loanee who isn't listed...

Lewis Hall appears on both the Chelsea and Newcastle lists. I expect there are other examples.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The U21 list is stuffed full of players who are out on loan - Ayari, Moran, Sarmiento, Beadle, Peupion, Kozlowski and so on... Alzate looks like the only loanee who isn't listed...

Lewis Hall appears on both the Chelsea and Newcastle lists. I expect there are other examples.
Steven Alzate hasn't qualified as an U-21 player for four seasons now....

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
No but he's a loanee, that was my point. Why bother listing all the season-long loanees on the U21 list ? (unless its just a copy and paste job)
This is the point though - the U-21 players always get listed by their "parent" club, even if they are out on loan elsewhere (and if they are on loan at another Premier League club, they'll be listed by that club too). For instance, Carl Rushworth, Jensen Weir and Marc Leonard were all out on loan last year but they were all listed as U-21 players by Albion.

What is different here is that Carl Rushworth no longer qualifies as an U-21 player, AND he is out on loan. Normally such players do NOT get included in their parent club's 25-man squad. This season our OVER-21 players out on loan are Alzate, Leonard, Rushworth, Scherpen, Sima and Undav. The ONLY one of these listed in our 25-man squad is Rushworth. There is definitely a reason why.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
This is the point though - the U-21 players always get listed by their "parent" club, even if they are out on loan elsewhere (and if they are on loan at another Premier League club, they'll be listed by that club too). For instance, Carl Rushworth, Jensen Weir and Marc Leonard were all out on loan last year but they were all listed as U-21 players by Albion.

What is different here is that Carl Rushworth no longer qualifies as an U-21 player, AND he is out on loan. Normally such players do NOT get included in their parent club's 25-man squad. This season our OVER-21 players out on loan are Alzate, Leonard, Rushworth, Scherpen, Sima and Undav. The ONLY one of these listed in our 25-man squad is Rushworth. There is definitely a reason why.
I can only assume we’ve named Rushworth as we can recall him and play him in the event both Bart and Jason Steele get injured. The other option we’d have is signing another keeper on emergency loan but I imagine because of the way we play, Rushworth would be the preference as at least he has experience of training with our first team squad.

Under 21 players on loan at other PL clubs will appear on both teams lists. When we had Izzy Brown on loan from Chelsea he was listed for both clubs.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Is there a requirement for a minimum number of goalkeepers? There is on the europa list.

:shrug:

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Is there a requirement for a minimum number of goalkeepers? There is on the europa list.

:shrug:
I've never heard of such a requirement. In any case, without Rushworth we would have two - McGill and Steele. A quick check shows that a number of other clubs only have two goalkeepers listed, such as Aston Villa and Burnley.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Like reading these for the middle names. Lewis 'Carl' Dunk :)

Is Solly's name really spelt 'Soloman' or is that another typo?
The births website has it as "Solomon" but looking back at previous squad lists and retained lists - for both the PL and the EFL - he has been consistently shown as "Soloman".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here