Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League - Project Big Picture

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sadly - strong backing from EFL clubs. But then again they are desperate for cash

They perhaps need reminding that, under the proposals, Manchester United and Liverpool will have a major say in the running of that EFL club, including having a veto on the Chairman and directors, having a say on how much they can spend, or how much they can make.

It's up to them, of course. But I don't fancy my club being run by the Glazers.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Along with everything else, surely the government or the FA have to be able to block this? It’s by definition completely unsporting and anti competitive behaviour.

It can’t be that easy to Liverpool and Man U to buy the game... can it?

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
What else did Paul say about it? Any quotes?

I think he said there’s a Premier League meeting about it tomorrow and one of the first things to establish is whether there’s any truth in the Man U & Liverpool involvement - he felt it fair not to prejudge on that until they had the opportunity to speak. He also said that our club had not been consulted on it all and that the version of the plan they were recently given was numbered v17 - indicating that it had been worked on for a while!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Along with everything else, surely the government or the FA have to be able to block this? It’s by definition completely unsporting and anti competitive behaviour.

It can’t be that easy to Liverpool and Man U to buy the game... can it?

The FA can and will block it. The FA has a Golden Ticket and can block anything they think isn't in best interests. PB confirmed tonight that Greg Clarke had phoned him during the Albion Board meeting and confirmed the FA would not allow the proposals in their current form.

Interestingly, I just popped in the Red Cafe and the majority of Man U fans are against the idea as is apparently the Top Six Supporters Fedaration - who knew there is such a thing!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The FA can and will block it. The FA has a Golden Ticket and can block anything they think isn't in best interests. PB confirmed tonight that Greg Clarke had phoned him during the Albion Board meeting and confirmed the FA would not allow the proposals in their current form.

The £100m bribe hasn’t worked then.

I wonder how much they need to up it by?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think he said there’s a Premier League meeting about it tomorrow and one of the first things to establish is whether there’s any truth in the Man U & Liverpool involvement - he felt it fair not to prejudge on that until they had the opportunity to speak. He also said that our club had not been consulted on it all and that the version of the plan they were recently given was numbered v17 - indicating that it had been worked on for a while!

The athletic thinks this is pre covid, potentially up to a year

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
This all of course could have been avoided if PL had got there finger out and come up 2/3 weeks ago with a package for lower league clubs. With vast about of money they could come of with a one off £10m from each club plus there is parachute money not paid to WBA and Fulham

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We all know it will never happen, the vast majority of EPL clubs won’t want anything to change.

Widening the discussion, what will actually save EFL clubs from going bust in the next 6 months? Unless they have a sugar daddy such as Derby and Massive, I can’t see how the rest can possibly survive with next to no income, swamped by player wage costs.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Greg Clarke's statement is the most powerful repudiation of the proposal yet - with a nasty, not-so veiled threat to the big clubs to wind their necks in. I was impressed

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Paul Barber describing it as a 'Machiavellian Plot'. Sounds genuinely angry. Good.

Described it as a "blatant Power Grab". Totally against it. Agreed with a fan who said that the big clubs are using Covid to try and get this done.

Won’t have done his chances of ever getting the Spurs CEO role much good...or any of the big 6 for that matter.

Good to see him defending the Albion’s interests so strongly.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We all know it will never happen, the vast majority of EPL clubs won’t want anything to change.

Widening the discussion, what will actually save EFL clubs from going bust in the next 6 months? Unless they have a sugar daddy such as Derby and Massive, I can’t see how the rest can possibly survive with next to no income, swamped by player wage costs.

There seem to be plenty of wealthy owners in the championship according to this list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Won’t have don his chances of ever getting the Spurs CEO role much good...or any Of the big 6 for that matter.

Good to see him defending the Albion’s interests so strongly.

I think anyone of the big 6 would love him to be in their corner. Didn't he get a hefty pay rise to prevent him heading of to Liverpool a few years ago?

We are certainly better off with him fighting our corner.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
From what he said last night a few double barrelled salvos are heading the big twos way. Can't say big 6 just yet as the others haven't nailed their respective flags to the mast as yet

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
From what he said last night a few double barrelled salvos are heading the big twos way. Can't say big 6 just yet as the others haven't nailed their respective flags to the mast as yet

With us and West Ham ‘out’, we just need 5 more teams to veto the plan in it’s current form.

I can see sides like Burnley, Leicester, Newcastle, Leeds & Villa all rejecting this.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

It's the last few words that should worry us. I can't believe this was anything more than a scouting mission - no clubs outside the big 6 would ever accept it. But it has everyone talking and the FA seem to be expecting a follow-up proposal. Knowing that they will need 14 clubs to get such a proposal accepted and the FA will need to be 'nobbled' they'll be back with something else much closer to that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This all of course could have been avoided if PL had got there finger out and come up 2/3 weeks ago with a package for lower league clubs. With vast about of money they could come of with a one off £10m from each club plus there is parachute money not paid to WBA and Fulham

That’s too simplistic though......why should the PL lob 10m at, say, Stoke ? One of their directors earned more than 250 MILLION last year alone. Plenty of other clubs too with owners worth more than many PL clubs. Also, should the PL be bailing out championship clubs that have disregarded or flouted FFP rules ?

Something definitely needs to be done but putting in place a scheme could be extremely difficult. Barber made a point last night too about helping clubs essentially catch us up.....why would we want to do that ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
With us and West Ham ‘out’, we just need 5 more teams to veto the plan in it’s current form.

I can see sides like Burnley, Leicester, Newcastle, Leeds & Villa all rejecting this.

I suspect even though Southampton were included with the three 'also rans' I suspect they would be against it knowing their vote would carry no sway against the big 6.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here