Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League plans for the remainder of the season *** ALL FIXTURES POSTPONED 3rd April

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
No.

It is a 'crisis plan' that the FA have been asked to draw up for consideration by government as they make plans for various scenarios. Nothing to say whether it will be implemented or not.

Unless you shut down the country, I can't see what cancelling football matches achieves as stated above. :shrug:

Article suggests there is causality between 500 cases and the crisis plan being instigated. But it does say 'may be implemented'.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This is a nonsense. The season should be suspended until the current crisis is over. Pick up whenever that is, and adjust the following season or two accordingly. That is the only fair way to treat people.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
The season should be suspended until the current crisis is over. Pick up whenever that is,

Can we still open the summer transfer window as usual? I love the idea of squeezing in another "Albion need a striker to survive" binfest before we play another game.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It will ultimately hit all facets of society. Some are just delaying the inevitable.

On the radio this morning, I heard the presenter tell me to stay tuned for exciting news about the Glastonbury line up.

What is the point in even pretending, that will go ahead!?

I'm no virologist but my understanding so far is that they've been looking at the optimum transmitting temperature of the virus to be sub 9 deg C. As we hit April, May, we could see a real leveling off in the spread of the virus, and a return to more normal life as we hit June. By the end of June, Glastonbury then the Olympics in July maybe fine. Who knows. Everything is worse case crisis scenarios at present, we don't know what will happen day to day, let alone 3 or 4 months time.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This is a nonsense. The season should be suspended until the current crisis is over. Pick up whenever that is, and adjust the following season or two accordingly. That is the only fair way to treat people.

Nah, just cancel it. My great grandchildren will be able to still hear the whinging from Merseyside after I am long gone.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Unless you lock down the entire country and have restricted movement, essential shopping only, shutting down public transport systems and bringing the country to a halt, then what you're suggesting is nonsense really. Unless stopping football is linked to some greater programme of measures, then it's effect will be minimal.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I am going to be pedantic. You say ‘you cannot afford’, but you can. Season tickets are already paid for, not going to matches will actually save you money. Unfair it maybe, but go sue the virus?

A ticket is entry to a match. If you can’t enter you aren’t getting what you paid for. Simple

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I'm no virologist but my understanding so far is that they've been looking at the optimum transmitting temperature of the virus to be sub 9 deg C. As we hit April, May, we could see a real leveling off in the spread of the virus, and a return to more normal life as we hit June. By the end of June, Glastonbury then the Olympics in July maybe fine. Who knows. Everything is worse case crisis scenarios at present, we don't know what will happen day to day, let alone 3 or 4 months time.

Surely the virus can continue on the other side of the world? With people travelling so much between hemispheres will it make any difference?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
How on earth was the Cheltenham festival deemed OK to go ahead but football matches are to be fan free, ridiculous.

Posh people like horse racing but oiks like football.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
This not meant as a direct attack on your comment, but on some assumptions that many are making of refunds to both businesses and consumers alike in the event of closures and non supply of goods etc..

The rules of normal life are being torn up. The idea of rights will soon be suspended. We all could be forced to stay indoors under an effective curfew, damaging businesses all over the world. Governments are going to have to act for the good of the many, not the good of a few. If concerts, football matches are cancelled I do not think there will be any guarantees that individuals will be recompensed, not if it leads to businesses folding and the infrastructure of a community being damaged long term. Any of us losing the price of a 50 quid ticket to a show at The Dome can survive without it, The Dome having to refund twenty shows at 3,000 x 50 quid (with no forseeable future income) equals 3 million quid, probably enough to close the venue. Multiply this all over the country and that is a very bleak future post virus compared to an individual losing 50 pounds.

Ben Franklin said, “He who gives up liberty for security deserves neither.”

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Merkel said yesterday that Germany expects 60-70% to catch it. Frankly, their preparations and contingency for dealing with it is better than ours, so it's hard to argue that less of us will catch it. But what's important is how quickly it spreads, because that's what can overwhelm medical resources, especially ICU beds, staff and equipment (eg ventilators). It's been reported that Italy has twice the number of acute ICU beds we have (sorry, no immediate source). So I imagine the key question COBR will be asking this morning is 'what measures can slow down transmission?' Banning mass events could well be one.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Surely the virus can continue on the other side of the world? With people travelling so much between hemispheres will it make any difference?

Yeah of course, and it is present in warmer countries now, but increased sunlight hours, warmer weather, increased humidity will mean that combined with a far greater level of hygiene and cleaning regimes, the virus will find is harder to be transmitted. If someone near you with it sneezes, then yeah you could be 30 deg in the sunshine and still get it, however if that person sneezes on a handrail, then that virus isn't going to live as long on that surface.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
A ticket is entry to a match. If you can’t enter you aren’t getting what you paid for. Simple

Ben Franklin said, “He who gives up liberty for security deserves neither.”

Come tell me about it in six months time, not just the Albion, but concert tickets, rail tickets, holidays booked etc etc.. I am not liking any of it, just don’t be surprised if the playing field ain’t as level as it used to be.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Merkel said yesterday that Germany expects 60-70% to catch it.

It may turn out to be the case, of course, but in China only 80k of 2 billion people caught it. Even if the reported cases were only a tenth of the actual reality that’s nowhere near 60%. The ratio is similar in other countries. I’m wondering where Mrs Merkel is getting her projections from and what they’re based on.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This not meant as a direct attack on your comment, but on some assumptions that many are making of refunds to both businesses and consumers alike in the event of closures and non supply of goods etc..

The rules of normal life are being torn up. The idea of rights will soon be suspended. We all could be forced to stay indoors under an effective curfew, damaging businesses all over the world. Governments are going to have to act for the good of the many, not the good of a few. If concerts, football matches are cancelled I do not think there will be any guarantees that individuals will be recompensed, not if it leads to businesses folding and the infrastructure of a community being damaged long term. Any of us losing the price of a 50 quid ticket to a show at The Dome can survive without it, The Dome having to refund twenty shows at 3,000 x 50 quid (with no forseeable future income) equals 3 million quid, probably enough to close the venue. Multiply this all over the country and that is a very bleak future post virus compared to an individual losing 50 pounds.

So if someone has paid out £8,000 or more for a once in a lifetime holiday or one to mark a landmark birthday, they should just shrug their shoulders and say I don't need a refund it's for the greater good.
Until the Government bring in new legislation that overrides consumer rights, a contract is in place and the terms and conditions must be adhered to.
The amount of the ticket or whatever is irrelevant.

I just see the newspaper report of having a ticket to watch the stream as nothing more that the PL and the clubs looking to avoid giving refunds that they know otherwise they would need to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here