Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
A few of his comments, posted on twitter in isolation by Sky Sports (I wonder why) have triggered a wave of Brighton hate again. Glenn lives rent free in their heads.

There was a farcical moment when the interviewer implied that footballers don’t go to supermarkets like ‘ordinary people.’ Glenn ridiculed him for it. The agenda is clear.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Would the remaining games take place in the same order as they were originally scheduled?

Some talk this morning on the radio that the last 9 fixtures will have to be reviewed on their order depending on local police issues around the country. Could be interesting. Also our Leicester away match had never been rearranged either so wonder where that would fit into any game schedule.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
There was a farcical moment when the interviewer implied that footballers don’t go to supermarkets like ‘ordinary people.’ Glenn ridiculed him for it. The agenda is clear.

I have seen Glenn in marks and spencers several times, I politely nod and smile at him - but cut him slack and respect his privacy, ive come a long way since the days when I knocked on Peter wards door for his autograph several times a week !

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There was an article that popped up from the Sun a few days ago that was basically an attack on brighton and Barber which contained so many untruths it should have been filed under fiction but its objective was suggesting this was the best time to get relegated because championship clubs will be in such a state next season
Did Nixon write it ? He hates us not falling meekly into line with his obvious agenda.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thought I’d share this excellent article from France Football’s British correspondent Philip Auclaire.

https://unherd.com/2020/05/top-flight-football-is-in-league-with-the-devil/

Some choice snippets worth considering:

‘The biggest net winners of a swift restart would not be in Britain at all. They are the Asian online gambling operators, whose size dwarves even their best-known and most successful British equivalents, and through whom an estimated $1 trillion is gambled, lost, won and, especially, laundered every year.’

‘The problem is that the Premier League is used to asking an enchanted mirror: “Am I the fairest league of them all?”, and to hearing back: “Of course you are.” And now, it’s as if it had gone through it and turned into the Mad Hatter. It cannot countenance that its relevance to Covid-hit England could be questioned, as it contradicts everything it holds true.’

‘What it is about is the fear of being left behind. The Germans — whose Bundesliga is well-placed to become a genuine global challenger to the Premier League — are getting ready for a 16 May restart after being given a conditional green light by their federal government. Portugal, which has managed the pandemic even better than the Germans, is on the way back too, and, while France and the Netherlands have pulled the plug on the current season, Spain and Italy are pushing on with their own Project Restarts, albeit far less convincingly.

It is as if the Premier League cannot stand the idea of watching the train leave the station, waving goodbye from the edge of the platform.’

They have such a unique way with words. An excellent counterpoint to our gutter press usual tripe.

Umm, so Tony's primary market as well............................

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'm now of the opinion, scrap this season as null and void and no relegation nor promotion. Then it's equally unfair to all and league integrity protected.

Then have some kind of new Mini-Tournament with it's own set of one-off rules. The Covid Cup or Covid League. Maybe even 5 a side with seperate isolated squads and only players prepared to play, some can duck out if they feel they can't isolate properly or feel especially vulnerable or family members. Less likely to have serious injuries in 5 a side. Could be safer, could be fun, could generate much needed income for clubs if televised.

I'm only half joking tbf. That's what I'd do when it's a bit safer but not safe enough for full games.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Mark Warburton on Talksport suggests Project restart should be named Project Reset and focus changed....seems a good idea.

Substantially more money pushed down the pyramid? Players taking wage cuts ..Caps on transfer fees....agents cut down to size etc etc....PL would not be that great a place without the Championship ..imagine no relegation from the PL...how boring would it be for the majority of clubs etc etc
Course some of that is dependant on worldwide policy

(My thoughts not Warburton)

Finish this season from August ...Next season can start later (much if necessary) ...get rid of cups ..European competitions...internationals winter breaks etc ...that’ll allow plenty more time ..i dont care about the euros...league football is priority

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Finish this season from August ...Next season can start later (much if necessary) ...get rid of cups ..European competitions...internationals winter breaks etc ...that’ll allow plenty more time ..i dont care about the euros...league footballs is priority

Why August though?

What do you see substantially changing between June and August that will make it "safe"?

I'm not saying this from a position of "just ****ing go for it in June" but I can't see what can possibly have changed that means by August having footballers playing and in close proximity to others will not result in a high-risk of virus transmission.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Why August though?

What do you see substantially changing between June and August that will make it "safe"?

I'm not saying this from a position of "just ****ing go for it in June" but I can't see what can possibly have changed that means by August having footballers playing and in close proximity to others will not result in a high-risk of virus transmission.

Ok ive kind of plucked that one out of the air....but it does give more time to prepare....longer timeframe for the current trend re the virus to establish itself and hopefully ‘safer’ (define that one) ...and therefore a better environment (i include the national mood) for football to be played

If you listen to WHO...will it ever be totally safe?...goodness knows how sports like rugby union will go ahead ..fancy being in the front row of a scrum?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Umm, so Tony's primary market as well............................

Yes but in a very different way. It’s not punters busting their nuts on the number of corners in the first minute but a highly engineered algorithm based hedge fund type strategy for UHNW individuals.

If anything that very fact alone should see us pushing go go go on restart if we had no morals.

Quite surprised no one has made that link journalistically but it neither supports their anti Brighton agenda and would be giving them too much credit for having the relative intelligence to think about it... (Sorry to our resident hacks [emoji51])

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes but in a very different way. It’s not punters busting their nuts on the number of corners in the first minute but a highly engineered algorithm based hedge fund type strategy for UHNW individuals.

If anything that very fact alone should see us pushing go go go on restart if we had no morals.

Quite surprised no one has made that link journalistically but it neither supports their anti Brighton agenda and would be giving them too much credit for having the relative intelligence to think about it... (Sorry to our resident hacks [emoji51])
Indeed.

Even if we are relegated, Tony may well be better off financially if the PL restarts.

At the very least it'll soften the financial blow.

That doesn't fit the 'bhafc are doing everything to spoil restart and avoid relegation' argument, though.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Finish this season from August ...Next season can start later (much if necessary) ...get rid of cups ..European competitions...internationals winter breaks etc ...that’ll allow plenty more time ..i dont care about the euros...league football is priority

Have you thought about putting something different in your posts other than this monotonous repeat of the same thing you have been saying over and over and and over...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Mark Warburton on Talksport suggests Project restart should be named Project Reset and focus changed....seems a good idea.

Substantially more money pushed down the pyramid? Players taking wage cuts ..Caps on transfer fees....agents cut down to size etc etc....PL would not be that great a place without the Championship ..imagine no relegation from the PL...how boring would it be for the majority of clubs etc etc
Course some of that is dependant on worldwide policy

Talk about living in an EPL bubble!!

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Government are deffo behind this June re-start, and if it gets Government approval it will happen 100%.

They've gone as far as publishing official detailed guidance on re-starting training-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...sport-return-to-training-guidance-step-one--2

They've said that sporting events behind closed doors are expected (subject to infection rate monitoring) to be allowed to commence from 1 June.

They want it to happen, they're facilitating it happening, they're writing the guidance for the clubs.

We must be at a 95% plus certainty of a June re-start. Bundesliga running ok this weekend and beyond will push that closer to 100%.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
It's great to see Glens views but I do think the PR team at the club need to mandate we go dark on all this now, we have become the poster team for disrupting the restart and even if not true the mud will stick. West Ham learnt this very early after Bradys initial (and self serving) comm's. We've won the neutral venue battle and should now be quiet publicly and let it unfold.

The other side of the coin is that by talking about it opinions get changed.
The narrative was that Brighton were against neutral grounds because of relegation threats, now it's a majority of clubs against neutral grounds

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Government are deffo behind this June re-start, and if it gets Government approval it will happen 100%.

They've gone as far as publishing official detailed guidance on re-starting training-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...sport-return-to-training-guidance-step-one--2

They've said that sporting events behind closed doors are expected (subject to infection rate monitoring) to be allowed to commence from 1 June.

They want it to happen, they're facilitating it happening, they're writing the guidance for the clubs.

We must be at a 95% plus certainty of a June re-start. Bundesliga running ok this weekend and beyond will push that closer to 100%.
Project 'Restart At All Costs by Hook or by Crook'.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
The other side of the coin is that by talking about it opinions get changed.
The narrative was that Brighton were against neutral grounds because of relegation threats, now it's a majority of clubs against neutral grounds

I'm sure i read somewhere all 20 teams objected in the end? Can't remember where, maybe one of the newspapers ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here