Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We are clearly being set up as scapegoats because Barber dared to speak out about reservations that make perfect sense
Yes. It concerns me a bit.

Although everything Paul Barber says will have been cleared in advance by club lawyers. And the club will have contacted the very top ones in this situation.

My suspicion is that everything said is with an eye on a potential future legal case ( if necessary ).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
For me the lockdown restrictions will be like a brake on a bike heading downhill. Squeeze too hard and the bike stops. No danger but you don't get anywhere. Squeeze too little and you go head over handlebars out of control and do yourself a mischief. Therefore you squeeze a bit and release, squeeze a bit and release until eventually you get safely to the bottom.

Which means that playing football when players are still testing positive is absolutely mental and cannot possibly be allowed to happen until the "bike" is safe, or very nearly.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
For me the lockdown restrictions will be like a brake on a bike heading downhill. Squeeze too hard and the bike stops. No danger but you don't get anywhere. Squeeze too little and you go head over handlebars out of control and do yourself a mischief. Therefore you squeeze a bit and release, squeeze a bit and release until eventually you get safely to the bottom.

Which means that playing football when players are still testing positive is absolutely mental and cannot possibly be allowed to happen until the "bike" is safe, or very nearly.

Wow love that analogy. Is that all your own work? Very apt in describing the situation and also sits nicely with the resurgent interest in cycling. Top work!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

7/10.

It's not a patch on my bucket of water analogy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Wow love that analogy. Is that all your own work? Very apt in describing the situation and also sits nicely with the resurgent interest in cycling. Top work!

Sort of. There's been talk about relaxing and retightening on different other threads, I just think of it as squeeze and release. I think the boss is right. 7/10.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
The cases in which leagues have been curtailed all came about from directives from their governments saying they couldn't play. Given the noises coming out of number10 today, it seems unlikely that these sort of messages will come here, in the short term anyway. I suspect, as ever, they're hoping football makes its own mind up so not to be painted as the bad guy. Its a sort of negative stand off between the league and the govt.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

So, in line with concerns about the economy, it is important to go fast enough (safely) to reach the bottom before your brake pads wear out in order to be able to replace them?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Not sure that makes much sense. Given the general timeline from becoming infected to showing symptoms and, presumably being tested to show a new infection, the upward trend must have started pre-lockdown, although it may well be accelerating now.

Yes, any bump in positive tests would have been caused before lockdown was eased. That is even more concerning as the weekend's activities would have only made things worse. :down:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This article from 5th May suggests religious services allowed from last Sunday and many shops from Monday. I don’t really know the science on timelines though so not sure what point I am making.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-52551808

Me neither, really. But whenever a "thing" happens, eg VE Day street parties, we all seem to be saying something like "let's see how things look in 2-3 weeks" due to what seems to be the accepted lag in the whole infected -> ill -> hospitalised sequence.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
So, in line with concerns about the economy, it is important to go fast enough (safely) to reach the bottom before your brake pads wear out in order to be able to replace them?

It is or is it? That's a statement with a question mark at the end (I'm assuming it's a question, and a typo). And, to answer, I'm ****ed if I know. It depends entirely on your apatite for risk. Trump will want to get to the bottom the fastest just so he can tweet about winning the race, even if the thing that gets to the bottom is a single wheel nut with the bike's rider in fifty different bits halfway up the hill. The South Koreans coasted down at exactly the right speed and are now on to the next segment of the race. I suspect we'll be somewhere in the middle.

I'm not sure I'm actually happy I started this analogy. I think it may be time to put my joint in the oven and open a beer.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I find it funny fans think if a player has caught it then they’ve been doing a Kyle Walker. Apparently no Premier League lives in apartment blocks, or has any need for them Or their family to go to a supermarket for food.

On the same day Jofra Archer posts this

[tweet]1259469528783863808[/tweet]

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
I find it funny fans think if a player has caught it then they’ve been doing a Kyle Walker. Apparently no Premier League lives in apartment blocks, or has any need for them Or their family to go to a supermarket for food.

Blimey, they sell snooker equipment in the supermarket he goes to :ohmy:

mjking73

Apr 17, 2013
Littlehampton

Wow, Julia Roberts in the queue, looking a bit older, lol! :lolol:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

He was trying to bowl a maiden over

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here