Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Government requirement is just to maintain a 2 metre distance where possible-

View attachment 123151

In many cases it's not possible to keep 2 metres apart so people just get on with it. The 2 metre guide is being questioned in any case, in some countries it's 1 metre etc.

Footballers are in a safer position than most people if they get regular tests and medical attention. Many people are working without those benefits and many people cannot maintain 2 metre distance.

Come June when more are at work, on trains, tubes , buses etc. I don't think footballers will be at much greater risk than many others in society.

It looks like the risk will be low come June. And once it is that low, it won't be proportionately much different in July, August, September etc. If that is the case, there will be no logical reason to delay it any further on safety grounds. The reduction in risk would be small, and the financial cost could be very large.

For the same reason, everyone will have to get back to work when it is a low level risk, as further delay will not be justifiable, and continued extension of furlough payments would incur a huge cost.

Once a payer is confirmed infected (it will happen, 100% - already has in Germany with 10 players positive confirmed yesterday), he'll have to isolate, most likely along with the rest of his squad until they are tested clear again, and the team they played against, and any other staff he came into contact with (team physio ? Coaches ?) etc.
As soon as that happens, the amended league program is fooked
Medical attention, as [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] pointed out, is irrelevant - there is no cure, only symptom management for now
Players are already coming out saying they are worried about others - pregnat partners, asthmatic kids, elderly parents etc
You can't make a simplistic comparison with footballers 'going back to work' with essential/necessary occupations - in terms of 'everyone being back at work', that is months and months away. I don't envisage going to the office in the foreseeable future.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Yes. But the chances of a young healthy player with no underlying conditions having any serious illness is very low. And they have daily access to private medical care far better than most people, so it would be caught early and treated fast if needed. They are in a much safer position than almost anyone in the country and many people are at work now, more will be come June.

"treated fast if need be "........hmmmmmmm.

Are you aware that there is not vaccine yet for this virus and as far as I'm aware diagnosing it early will not suddenly present a magical cure. So far, it is not like some cancers that if diagnosed early can have a good outcome. If you get the virus, apart from TLC and oxygen you're in the lap of the gods.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Once a payer is confirmed infected (it will happen, 100% - already has in Germany with 10 players positive confirmed yesterday), he'll have to isolate, most likely along with the rest of his squad until they are tested clear again, and the team they played against, and any other staff he came into contact with (team physio ? Coaches ?) etc.
As soon as that happens, the amended league program is fooked
Medical attention, as [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] pointed out, is irrelevant - there is no cure, only symptom management for now
Players are already coming out saying they are worried about others - pregnat partners, asthmatic kids, elderly parents etc
You can't make a simplistic comparison with footballers 'going back to work' with essential/necessary occupations - in terms of 'everyone being back at work', that is months and months away. I don't envisage going to the office in the foreseeable future.

Exactly. *110% correct.

As I said elsewhere, at least one of the three big London universities (mine) has cancelled (this may not yet be in the public domain - whoops!) all contact teaching from October to December 31, and invited staff to present lectures online, replace practicals with alternative exercises, etc. The earliest date for my physical return to work is January 2020. We have had to plan for the worst, and implement the plan now. We can't just boot it up in August or September, nor can we bin it and reinstate the previous timetable. Those blase about resetting the various sporting calenders need to give their heads a wobble. It isn't happening.

*In homage to the advanced mathematical skills of the hopelessly optimistic posters on here

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Exactly. *110% correct.

As I said elsewhere, at least one of the three big London universities (mine) has cancelled (this may not yet be in the public domain - whoops!) all contact teaching from October to December 31, and invited staff to present lectures online, replace practicals with alternative exercises, etc. The earliest date for my physical return to work is January 2020. We have had to plan for the worst, and implement the plan now. We can't just boot it up in August or September, nor can we bin it and reinstate the previous timetable. Those blase about resetting the various sporting calenders need to give their heads a wobble. It isn't happening.

*In homage to the advanced mathematical skills of the hopelessly optimistic posters on here

You are able to a degree, paerdon the pun, to replace your usual teaching methods with an alternative and as such still charge tuition fees and generate revenue, if there was an alternative for football they would do the same, the best alternative for football is playing behind closed doors and as much as possible insulating players and coaches inside a bubble once they have at the begninning presented as negative for the virus. It won't be without risks but unless we are going to mothball football for the next 18 months possibly longer we are going to have to try and find innovative ways to best maange the risks across the whole of society and football is no exception to this. The alternative is essentially football clubs, other than a handful with very weatlhy owners dissapearing.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Exactly. *110% correct.

I’m not sure anyone’s being blase Harry ..just having a view over how and when football might start before it disappears completely.. not so sure taking about college courses is a parallel unless we are referring to planning ..there is a level of risk in everything we do ..it’s how much of a risk are, number one the players prepared to tolerate

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Time to be honest and say that this season is never going to be finished this side of the summer.

It's null and void.

What I'd like to see is the season played to its end between September - December.

Then in 2021 I'd like to see the FA Cup played like a World Cup with leagues of 4/5 teams playing one another with one drawn from the PL, a team from Championship, a team from League 1 and 2 and so forth. Before moving into a knockout phase. All played between March and June.

Then football can resume in September 2021.

It may not be right but football has got to start thinking differently and thinking 2 years out and not 2-weeks.

Indeed. The highlighted bit is my most optimistic take on what will happen to the current season. The only bit I disagree with is that starting a season in January may align with the need for a winter break (needed for Qatar WC, if that joke is played). Bin the Qatar fiasco and your plan would be great.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Exactly. *110% correct.

Is that number from one of your stat tables ? :laugh::laugh:The apparent (money driven) desperation of the PL to 'finish the season (ostensibly supported by the clubs but I think they are really only 'on message' and will break ranks at some point - probably us first) is becoming embarrassing. There are so many obstacles in the way, and all/any solutions carry a degree of farce. They should be putting together a comprehensive and coherent plan for next season, including starting late and/or behind closed doors or graduated limited attendance depending on remaining social distancing rules rather than dicking about trying to create the equivalent of the Mid Sussex U12s summer tournament to satisfy a broadcasting contract (that will be satisfied in name only, because the games will be nothing like the real thing).

Will be interested in what the Unis do.....eldest is 1 year into a P/T Masters and youngest is aiming to start a F/T Masters in September........

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Good post. That was made clear on 5live last night, this summer won't act as a watershed for a safer PL, the risks from covid-19 will be pretty much the same whether it be June or September. At least two football seasons are going to be severely affected in every way.

For me the key difference is that if you bin the 19/20 season you can start a new season KNOWING that it is likely to be disrupted, KNOWING that you will need to be flexible, and timetabling things accordingly (and setting the rules accordingly). The issue with completing the 2019/20 season is that the conditions for the final 9 or 10 games will be completely different to those operative in the first three quarters of the season. When the rewards (and risks) are so great, you cannot (imho) change the rules so radically part-way through the season. Barber is 110% right to push-back on the neutral venues idea. Other recent suggestions (5 subs, or shorter matches) are also ridiculous. By all means implement them from the start of a season, for a whole season, but don't bring them in with 25% of the season still to play.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You are able to a degree, paerdon the pun, to replace your usual teaching methods with an alternative and as such still charge tuition fees and generate revenue, if there was an alternative for football they would do the same, the best alternative for football is playing behind closed doors and as much as possible insulating players and coaches inside a bubble once they have at the begninning presented as negative for the virus. It won't be without risks but unless we are going to mothball football for the next 18 months possibly longer we are going to have to try and find innovative ways to best maange the risks across the whole of society and football is no wexception to this. The alternative is essentially football clubs, other than a handful with very weatlhy owners dissapearing.

Oh, I agree. But to do that all football will need to be played behind the same closed door. No flitting about the country to differentclosed doors. Isolation from family. It could happen, if the players all agreed this is the only way to save their livlihod (to hell with the integrity of the game). Perhaps it may happen. Early days......

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m not sure anyone’s being blase Harry ..just having a view over how and when football might start before it disappears completely.. not so sure taking about college courses is a parallel unless we are referring to planning ..there is a level of risk in everything we do ..it’s how much of a risk are, number one the players prepared to tolerate

Fair enough. I do see those who think football will resume in June, because it must, as being blase, though. It has to be safe. One player's wife or mum dies and the shit will hit the fan. It will need a one stadium lockdown solution in my view, or it won't happen. But....of course, just like the final death toll and timecourse of the epidemic, we just don't know yet :bigwave:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
For me the key difference is that if you bin the 19/20 season you can start a new season KNOWING that it is likely to be disrupted, KNOWING that you will need to be flexible, and timetabling things accordingly (and setting the rules accordingly). The issue with completing the 2019/20 season is that the conditions for the final 9 or 10 games will be completely different to those operative in the first three quarters of the season. When the rewards (and risks) are so great, you cannot (imho) change the rules so radically part-way through the season. Barber is 110% right to push-back on the neutral venues idea. Other recent suggestions (5 subs, or shorter matches) are also ridiculous. By all means implement them from the start of a season, for a whole season, but don't bring them in with 25% of the season still to play.

100% this. I find it amazing that anyone thinks this isn't the way forward.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Fair enough. I do see those who think football will resume in June, because it must, as being blase, though. It has to be safe. One player's wife or mum dies and the shit will hit the fan. It will need a one stadium lockdown solution in my view, or it won't happen. But....of course, just like the final death toll and timecourse of the epidemic, we just don't know yet :bigwave:

Aye

Personally I’ve never set a limit of when I don’t think you can..but you can plan for different start dates etc ..they will have to live in a bubble to minimise the risk of what you suggest.. but then I think that’s more feasible to close a season that start a new one....I’ll go back to this ‘safe’ bit..which is being discussed in industries right across the country as they try and open up ..we’ve already had the start of a bit of a battle in the media ..firstly government issuing guidelines then the unions saying it’s not good enough ..then in reply the government threatening action against employers if they don’t get it right ..,football is not unique in all this

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
We are away to the sides we stand a better chance of beating and home to sides we stand less chance of beating, wouldn't closed doors benefit us!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I agree with you, Jim.

I do expect some people to argue, though, that because the situation is so unique it means prior arrangements can be disregarded, and changes made - for the greater good. Take that, and blend it with 'the season must end' and you end up with a litany of daft proposals, with the least daft (or most easily implementable) being initiated. Then it will all go to bollocks the minute someone dies.

As an aside I am intrigued to know whether those who feel most adamant that the season must resume, or indeed must not resume, are part of the 'Brexit means Brexit' (including the 'I voted remain, but') contingent. There is something seductive about a dramatic and unequivocal decision. Wife getting on your tits? Divorce her!

Real life is normally more complicated than that, or was....albeit in our Trumpian dystopia it does sometimes feel that anything is possible. **** it, yeah, let's just doo-ooo-ooo it, as Richard Richard once said in a slightly different context. :mad:

That's enough idle musing - time I did some actual work. :bigwave:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Looks like German league re-starting on 15th of May-

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-h...ps-allow-soccer-matches-sources-idUKKBN22G2TU

We are about a week behind them on the curve..

If you have a look at the number of new cases in each country, we have just about plateau-ed, whereas in Germany new cases have been on the decline for about a month. Plus, the number of new cases in Germany is now 14 per million of population - we are over 5 times higher. Over the past week, the number of new cases in the UK has actually been rising. And Germany has been doing a helluva lot more testing than we have, so in reality our numbers are almost certainly a lot higher.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you have a look at the number of new cases in each country, we have just about plateau-ed, whereas in Germany new cases have been on the decline for about a month. Plus, the number of new cases in Germany is now 14 per million of population - we are over 5 times higher. Over the past week, the number of new cases in the UK has actually been rising. And Germany has been doing a helluva lot more testing than we have, so in reality our numbers are almost certainly a lot higher.

The number of cases doesn't mean a great deal. You ramp up testing you find more cases - it's as simple as that. If you tested literally everyone in the country today you'd get a massive spike in cases - it doesn't mean that lots of people have suddenly become infected.

The number of deaths is a more telling statistic, sadly, and that's clearly been on the decline for some time now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here