Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A poser for people in this thread;

Say they manage to finish this season, or decide to scrap it - and then we have the following season (20/21) starting up late this year, behind closed doors.

If halfway through that season (say early 2021) it becomes apparent that we have "won" the fight against Coronavirus, and the risk of having crowds again is negligible, would people be in favour of crowds returning halfway through the season, or do you feel that that would present unfair advantages/ruin integrity etc, and therefore that season should end behind closed the doors, the same as it started?

I’d take the risk of relegation for the Albion whilst reintroducing crowds over closed door games. The idea of a season behind closed doors sounds much more depressing than relegation to me. Hell I think I’d take the relegtaion in front of a crowd over winning the league behind closed doors.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

Say they manage to finish this season, or decide to scrap it - and then we have the following season (20/21) starting up late this year, behind closed doors.

If halfway through that season (say early 2021) it becomes apparent that we have "won" the fight against Coronavirus, and the risk of having crowds again is negligible, would people be in favour of crowds returning halfway through the season, or do you feel that that would present unfair advantages/ruin integrity etc, and therefore that season should end behind closed the doors, the same as it started?

Mellotron - you're asking the wrong question. Under that scenario - yes, bring the crowds back. But if only a handful of games to play then 'no', keep them away.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I think you'd have to make sure the first half of the season is every team plays each other once (not like this season where we played someone twice before we played someone else once, but I forget who now) and then take a check at that point. If we are in a position where it could happen (likely to be Christmas / turn of the year) it should happen then, else not at all. That at least retains some level of fairness. It means the fixtures need careful planning, but that shouldn't be beyond the wit of man. Give me a few hours with a spreadsheet and I could probably do it, so it can't be beyond people paid more than me to make these decisions.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think you'd have to make sure the first half of the season is every team plays each other once (not like this season where we played someone twice before we played someone else once, but I forget who now) and then take a check at that point. If we are in a position where it could happen (likely to be Christmas / turn of the year) it should happen then, else not at all. That at least retains some level of fairness. It means the fixtures need careful planning, but that shouldn't be beyond the wit of man. Give me a few hours with a spreadsheet and I could probably do it, so it can't be beyond people paid more than me to make these decisions.

I think this is probably a sensible solution. A mini winter break at which point they could judge whether crowds could return, and put in place the necessary.

Obviously this is all ifs and buts, was just curious on people's response if it was a viable situation.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Burnley have £30m in the fight. And no rich owner who can bring it up. The most likely effect of abandoning the season is that most clubs, including those that don't have rich owners with deep pockets, struggle. Burnley need the season to continue,

So you have an issue with Paul Barber looking out for Brighton's interests (and remember he categorically stated he wanted to find a way to end the season safely), but it's OK for you to look out for Burnley's interests...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Burnley have £30m in the fight. And no rich owner who can bring it up. The most likely effect of abandoning the season is that most clubs, including those that don't have rich owners with deep pockets, struggle. Burnley need the season to continue,

As for the goldstone Ground, as I remember it it was a ground which when packed with Brighton fans could be quite intimidating. Maybe it wasn't really and I'm just comparing it with the Withdean. But the point was that no home advantage could possibly make you favourites to get even one point against Liverpool, or Man City for that matter, so pretending the loss of home advantage is a bigger issue for Brighton v. Liverpool than it is for (say) Burnley v Brighton is a bit ingenuous.

I am getting a bit fed up with people putting words into my mouth, then explaining why I'm wrong.

The reason you don't have a 'dog in the fight' (to stay in the PL) is because you are already safe from relegation. That was my point. I thought that was obvious.

Consequently Brighton losing home advantage in remaining games is much more important for us than it is for you.

The only reason you 'need' the season to finish is if the sponsors take away your (and our) TV money if we don't finish the season. Brighton still has more at stake than you (unfair relegation) which is why ending the season the right way is more important to Brighton.

So, no I don't support 'finish off the season at any cost and by any means' like you seem to do, because we have more at stake.

And it's disingenuous.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

As for the goldstone Ground, as I remember it it was a ground which when packed with Brighton fans could be quite intimidating. Maybe it wasn't really and I'm just comparing it with the Withdean. But the point was that no home advantage could possibly make you favourites to get even one point against Liverpool, or Man City for that matter, so pretending the loss of home advantage is a bigger issue for Brighton v. Liverpool than it is for (say) Burnley v Brighton is a bit ingenuous.

You say that Burnley need the season to continue as if there are no other factors other than the choices made by club administrators and owners. If the season is to continue then the PL need to have addressed many of the issues discussed on this thread, such as the risk of infection to players and staff, the risk at some point of allowing fans into stadiums and what plan B would look like if the game has to close again. It is simply not sufficient to say you want the game to restart and leave it at that. If it were then the PL would already have announced a resumption date. BHA have not made up these hurdles.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Gordon Taylor of PFA now talking about possibly less than 45 min halfs ! Seems to me desperation is creeping in . They don’t know what to come up with. It’s all ridiculous in my opinion , if football can’t be played in the same way as previously just without fans then I don’t think it should be played at all .

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Premier League: Under 45-minute halves an option, says PFA chief Gordon Taylor - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52542756

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I listened to the interview on Today this morning with Gordon Taylor.

Two points came out of it:

Taylor really is an arse.

The BBC journo (I think it was Gary Richardson?) gave him such an easy ride - there are so many questions that the head of the player's union should be asked - yet he failed miserably.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Gordon Taylor of PFA now talking about possibly less than 45 min halfs ! Seems to me desperation is creeping in . They don’t know what to come up with. It’s all ridiculous in my opinion , if football can’t be played in the same way as previously just without fans then I don’t think it should be played at all .

It's ridiculous that options involving playing the games by different rules and guidelines are even being considered

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'm probably the most pro person on here on the season resuming but fundamentally changing the laws of the games, more subs, shorter games is quite frankly ridiculous, I can't beleive that this is really being mooted. I can take behind closed doors and at a push neutral venues but none of this nonsense. Wouldn't surprise me if Taylor is putting this out there to turn people further against restarting and protect his players from having to play.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think unless the situation improves dramatically in the UK in the next 2-3 weeks (it is improving of course, but I mean CV almost gone levels of improvement) it will be clear that large numbers of players don't feel safe playing and the season will be canned.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I listened to the interview on Today this morning with Gordon Taylor.

Two points came out of it:

Taylor really is an arse.

The BBC journo (I think it was Gary Richardson?) gave him such an easy ride - there are so many questions that the head of the player's union should be asked - yet he failed miserably.

Every time I hear that squeaky voice it makes my blood boil. This waste of space has stolen a living and been given an enormous pay check. He offers nothing to the debate.

Odious ****.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Guys guys guys

This is all posturing from the PL. They like virtually everyone else knows it is nigh on impossible to complete the season. The Health and Safety issues are such that even ifoneperson diodes result of the rescheduling they would be in very deep water with regards to legal action and ramifications. This posturing is all there so they can claim insurances and get some money from Shy and the Government. Go through the motions then declare, like virtually the rest of Europe, that it cannot be achieved.
Top three in the Championship promoted with no PL relegation. Consequently there will be a far smaller pot of money next season and probably 4 relegated for the next three seasons to take us back down to 20.

Haven't missed the football at all. Time to re-baseline my life and re-prioritise my concerns and wishes. I do however seriously miss the golf and cricket. Funny eh?

TNBA

TTF

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I don't mind changing the rules, but if they do, remove the threat of relegation and send 2 up from the EFL. Play next year with 22 teams. Simple really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here