Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Whilst I am pro the league starting and I know you are anti I do agree it will be surprising if it doesn't go without a hitch somewhere, I guess the chances of restarting in Germany are slimming with a prospect of another lockdown which would naturally mean the chances are recding here too but IF it does begin then I guess with the likelehood the PL will be 2/3 weeks behind in restarting at least we may be able to learn from the way Germany goes about it and its relative success and failures. Also I think we can nearly all agree we want next season to happen on some shape or form and again, getting the current season finished over the summer should help inform the best way forward of how we can make next season as succesful and as fair as it can be.

Can I pick you up on one point. I am NOT anti football restarting, I am against this apparent obscene rush to restart, while members of the public are still being asked, no told, to social distance.

Allowing football to go ahead would give free license to all the idiots coming back out of the woodwork, congregating en masse - their argument being if it's good enough for footballers, then why shouldn't they get together. It may suprise you to know, not everyone likes football, and may see football trying to be elitist as rather distasteful.

At the point when the governmentt relaxes social distancing rules, then that will be the time to reconsider contact sports and not before...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Can I pick you up on one point. I am NOT anti football restarting, I am against this apparent obscene rush to restart, while members of the public are still being asked, no told, to social distance.

Allowing football to go ahead would give free license to all the idiots coming back out of the woodwork, congregating en masse - their argument being if it's good enough for footballers, then why shouldn't they get together. It may suprise you to know, not everyone likes football, and may see football trying to be elitist as rather distasteful.

At the point when the governmentt relaxes social distancing rules, then that will be the time to reconsider contact sports and not before...

Given we are likely to have to get used to some sort of social distancing until a vaccine becomes available to what extent does it need to be relaxed, in your opinion, for football to get the green light?

As far as I am aware all that is happening at the moment is all professional sport, not just the PL, alongside other industries are having individual conversations with the government about how they can, when the government deems it possible by meeting its 5 tests, begin to start to operate again. I don't see any issue with these conversations or planning taking place in the background, particularly given the many challenges that will need to be overcome, it's happening across many other parts of the economy just not with the scrutiny the PL gets.

The league will not restart at the earliest for another 7 weeks or so at the earliest, and given how far we've come and how much that has happened in the last 7 weeks hopefully the picture will look very different in 7 weeks time and we won't be far off a return. If fans play up, congregate in towns/cities or at stadiums then sanctions should be applied agaisnt those clubs, giving supporters the carrot of a return for football but the stick of risking it being cancelled all together if they don't follow the social distancing rules. Also whilat I appreciate plenty of people do not like football, there is an awful lot who do, including people working in the NHS/front line services who might want something different to see at the end of their shifts than the current constant cycle of bad news and sadness we are currently enduring.

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Whilst I appreciate plenty of people do not like football, there is an awful lot who do, including people working in the NHS/front line services who might want something different to see at the end of their shifts than the current constant cycle of bad news and sadness we are currently enduring.

Fair point.

Do you then think that, seeing as many NHS/emergency workers have night shifts, that some matches should be played at 6 in the morning so they can watch at shift end?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Given we are likely to have to get used to some sort of social distancing until a vaccine becomes available to what extent does it need to be relaxed, in your opinion, for football to get the green light?

As far as I am aware all that is happening at the moment is all professional sport, not just the PL, alongside other industries are having individual conversations with the government about how they can, when the government deems it possible by meeting its 5 tests, begin to start to operate again. I don't see any issue with these conversations or planning taking place in the background, particularly given the many challenges that will need to be overcome, it's happening across many other parts of the economy just not with the scrutiny the PL gets.

The league will not restart at the earliest for another 7 weeks or so at the earliest, and given how far we've come and how much that has happened in the last 7 weeks hopefully the picture will look very different in 7 weeks time and we won't be far off a return. If fans play up, congregate in towns/cities or at stadiums then sanctions should be applied agaisnt those clubs, giving supporters the carrot of a reutnr for football but the stick of risking it being cancelled all together if they don't follow the social distancing rules. Also whilat I appreciate plenty of people do not like football, there is an awful lot who do, including people working in the NHS/front line services who might want somethnig different to see at the end of their shifts than the current constant cycle of bad news and sadness we are currently enduring.

To answer the first question, quite simply I don’t know when would be a good time, and yes I am sure talks aren’t going on behind the scenes for ALL sports. I just don’t SEE those other sports clamouring for a return - granted, spending time on a football forum may jaundice that view.

As for the second point, really? Think you need to spend a bit of time away from here too...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Fair point.

Do you then think that, seeing as many NHS/emergency workers have night shifts, that some matches should be played at 6 in the morning so they can watch at shift end?

I think they invented something called highlights for people who didn't/couldn't watch the game when it was live.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I am not missing football at all... which is strange as I could never have imagined me saying this.

Maybe time to knock it on the head! Who wants my loyalty points?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Not a rule, or not law anyway. A convention, or a tradition, whatever, but not enshrined in law. So not legally enforceable - there would be no case to answer, and no grounds for legal action..

Indeed, and I never suggested there would be.

If the season was voided the most obvious threat of legal action would involve commercial partners. Perhaps that could be headed off. Perhaps not. I don't know.

If the season was concluded early - rather than voided - the main threat of legal action might come from prematurely relegated clubs. There would certainly be a way round that.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I am not missing football at all... which is strange as I could never have imagined me saying this.

I don’t think you will be alone. I think the world is changing, people’s ideas of what is necessary and what isn’t are coming sharply into focus. I think spectator sport may suffer in the long run as people look closer to home for their fun!

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi

I feel exactly the same way. Life is more important than football and the prospect of games being played with no spectators, the risks to footballers and their families and imagining how sterile and lacking in passion (players wouldn’t even be able to celebrate together). leaves me cold. Could also imagine a serious backlash if they force it through.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
I think my 'enjoying no football' feelings are mainly related to results in the months prior to the lockdown though. I'm sure if this had happened in our promotion season or the one before i'd have been desperate for it to return.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
To answer the first question, quite simply I don’t know when would be a good time, and yes I am sure talks aren’t going on behind the scenes for ALL sports. I just don’t SEE those other sports clamouring for a return - granted, spending time on a football forum may jaundice that view.

As for the second point, really? Think you need to spend a bit of time away from here too...

I'm going to copy and paste something I wrote on this thread many pages back...

Like it or not, the Premier League is a complex multi-billion pound international business. Like all businesses it will be trying to make plans to allow it to continue operations when it is able to do so. There will be multiple plans based on many different scenarios and variables.

However, unlike most big businesses, which are broadly left to get on with it by themselves, there is a whole industry that exists to report on and document Premier League activities. That massive industry has also come to a standstill, pretty much, and about the only story available to them is "when will Premier League football be back?" As a result, the PL, and its clubs are under a level of scrutiny that very few other businesses are.

I've seen no suggestion that the Premier League nor its clubs think it's bigger and more important than the health crisis that is going on right now, but that's not to say as responsible businesses they shouldn't be trying to make plans for how they will continue operations as and when that is possible.

Is it about money? Partly yes but, again, it's a big business. They'd be stupid to not be trying to make plans for all eventualities they may face.​

I see no clamour for a return. I see a large business assessing all scenarios that may permit continuation of their business. All businesses will be doing this right now.

The difference with Premier League football, as above, is the industry that exists around it: reporting and analysing it in minute detail nearly every second of every day.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Like it or not, the Premier League is a complex multi-billion pound international business. Like all businesses it will be trying to make plans to allow it to continue operations when it is able to do so. There will be multiple plans based on many different scenarios and variables.

However, unlike most big businesses, which are broadly left to get on with it by themselves, there is a whole industry that exists to report on and document Premier League activities. That massive industry has also come to a standstill, pretty much, and about the only story available to them is "when will Premier League football be back?" As a result, the PL, and its clubs are under a level of scrutiny that very few other businesses are.

I've seen no suggestion that the Premier League nor its clubs think it's bigger and more important than the health crisis that is going on right now, but that's not to say as responsible businesses they shouldn't be trying to make plans for how they will continue operations as and when that is possible.

Is it about money? Partly yes but, again, it's a big business. They'd be stupid to not be trying to make plans for all eventualities they may face.​

I see no clamour for a return. I see a large business assessing all scenarios that may permit continuation of their business. All businesses will be doing this right now.

The difference with Premier League football, as above, is the industry that exists around it: reporting and analysing it in minute detail nearly every second of every day.

All understood from a business point of view, I am equally sure there are other billion pound industries that could make the same representations, but clearly not in the name of "sport", which ultimately is the problem - football has long since ceased to be a sport and business has taken over.

With a sport head on, for one minute, surely you can see it's not right for football to consider flying in the face of "the science" as Boris and his entourage are so happy to say!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Hopefully President Macron has upped the ante, just need Frau Merkel to wade in, and Boris will have to jump on the Common Sense Bus, and we can void the whole thing and start a fresh when its safe to do so.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Smack on

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Hopefully President Macron has upped the ante, just need Frau Merkel to wade in, and Boris will have to jump on the Common Sense Bus, and we can void the whole thing and start a fresh when its safe to do so.

This and it really shouldn't be taking that long to reach that conclusion.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don’t think you will be alone. I think the world is changing, people’s ideas of what is necessary and what isn’t are coming sharply into focus. I think spectator sport may suffer in the long run as people look closer to home for their fun!

Umm...this has to come down to a view depending on your circumstances at the time....for me football is and always will be a bit of escapism and hopefully will remain so...the only time it hasn’t been is when the Albion were going through their financial crisis, as at the time my job involved dealing with peoples own financial problems at the time and football just seemed an extension of that ......currently I’d even go for it being behind closed doors for a bit of ‘escapism’ (subject to various conditions) ..but let’s not go down that debate

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Boris is the man who will stand at his window watching a protest march go by and, if it is a very big protest, will dash out of his house, overtake all the marchers and when he gets to the front cry "Follow me!"

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Boris is the man who will stand at his window watching a protest march go by and, if it is a very big protest, will dash out of his house, overtake all the marchers and when he gets to the front cry "Follow me!"

Hahaha! I am not sure he is in condition to do that right now though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here