Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Will people die as a result of behind closed doors football? The other 19 PL clubs and separately the other 22 Championship clubs are not doing this to be kind to Leeds, Liverpool and WBA, they could overwhelm them with a vote at their regular meetings.

There must be other reasons as to why those 41 other clubs are so determined, along with UEFA and the Bundesliga that all competitions are completed.

The reason must be one thing MONEY, Sky hold a gun to the head and say "we won't pay you in full" and the club's crap themselves as the players rightly or wrongly won't take a sensible pay cut.

We have to get it into our heads no one gives a toss about the paying fans it's all about Sky and money.

For the authorities to say football will give the country a feel good fact is pure fantasy, behind doors football, no fans, no atmosphere how dull is that. I for one won't be watching it.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Unless they were shut away for a very long time there is no fast way yet to determine whether over has coronavirus. There is lag with the test. You may test positive one day and be infected the next day when the result comes in.

My sister who works on the front line in Bristol on their Covid ward has said to me that they have had numerous cases where people have been asymptomatic apparently showing no obvious symptoms (but have been tested as positive) and many tests also showing false negatives and people have still had the virus. I think that rules out player testing as being completely definitive. Like many I think until a vaccine is available all close contact sports will be paused unless footballers are treated as special cases to the rest of us.

Jimmy Grimble

Not all. But many imho.

I’ll have a look at BBS, Holmesdale, Saintsweb later to see if they’re also to a man angry that this season is to continue. I genuinely haven’t had a look at all during shutdown.

But by the same token, any club who have had a good season will have fans who want it to continue for that very reason, happily ignoring all the very good reasons that the season should not continue...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Prem/FL plan to finish season behind closed doors in JULY

Continuing my annoyance at the demonisation of football, can we please stop all this “it’s all about money” bollocks?

Of course it’s all about money. The Premier League and all the clubs within it are businesses. A business needs to earn money and will also spend money.

The bloke who runs my local independent coffee shop wants to open up when he can. Why? Money.

Landlords who run pubs will be keen to open when they can. Why? Spotted the trend yet? Money.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But by the same token, any club who have had a good season will have fans who want it to continue for that very reason, happily ignoring all the very good reasons that the season should not continue...

I agree totally. People keep mentioning Leeds, WBA and Liverpool, but I would hazard a guess that many Sheffield Utd, Brentford and Leicester fans for example would like this season completed.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Norwich and Villa fans are vehemently for this season to be null and voided, with no relegations.

Self interest, imho, does enter the equation.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Continuing my annoyance at the demonisation of football, can we please stop all this “it’s all about money” bollocks?

Of course it’s all about money. The Premier League and all the clubs within it are businesses. A business needs to earn money and will also spend money.

The bloke who runs my local independent coffee shop wants to open up when he can. Why? Money.

Landlords who run pubs will be keen to open when they can. Why? Spotted the trend yet? Money.

But Bozza, a flaw in your argument. The businesses you mention haven't had the luxury of ~20 years of gross sums of money swilling around the place
and sp**king it all up on grossly inflated player's wages and wa***** agents while consistently milking its customers for cash. So you can hardly blame people for having
this perception, can you? I don't see how that compares with a shopkeeper living on the edge, trying to get by.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I agree totally. People keep mentioning Leeds, WBA and Liverpool, but I would hazard a guess that many Sheffield Utd, Brentford and Leicester fans for example would like this season completed.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Norwich and Villa fans are vehemently for this season to be null and voided, with no relegations.

Self interest, imho, does enter the equation.

Interestingly, when the dutch announced the sensible (lol) option of stopping their league yesterday, I looked on Twitter and searched Liverpool and Leeds. Their feeds were full of anguished fans and also those crowing over the possibility that they may miss out. I searched Villa and read about a hundred tweets, all of which told me that they were 1. A very big club 2. Grealish is the best player in the league and 3 Villa Park is the best ground in the Premier League. None whatsoever about avoiding relegation. But maybe that is because they are delusional lol!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Interestingly, when the dutch announced the sensible (lol) option of stopping their league yesterday, I looked on Twitter and searched Liverpool and Leeds. Their feeds were full of anguished fans and also those crowing over the possibility that they may miss out. I searched Villa and read about a hundred tweets, all of which told me that they were 1. A very big club 2. Grealish is the best player in the league and 3 Villa Park is the best ground in the Premier League. None whatsoever about avoiding relegation. But maybe that is because they are delusional lol!

I just looked at these fora:

Saintsweb - very little on cancelling this season or not. Mid table indifference?
BBS and Holmesdale - a microscopic amount of posts compared to NSC on the subject, but one quote stood out for me - “A bunch of clubs in the relegation mix in the PL being let off the prospect of relegation is completely unfair, knowing they could all go from strength to strength, learn from previous mistakes etc with impunity”.
Norwich (pinkun) - surprisingly not much, but there was talk of a behind closed doors bottom 6 relegation play offs including us.
S24su (Sheff Utd) - the polar opposite of NSC, keen on the season being completed. Scathing of Gold & Sullivan, who they see as wanting a null and void to end their disastrous season and cheating relegation.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
S24su (Sheff Utd) - the polar opposite of NSC, keen on the season being completed. Scathing of Gold & Sullivan, who they see as wanting a null and void to end their disastrous season and cheating relegation.

Lots of history there...I think they need reminding of the desperate measures they went to in order to stay up re Tevez

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I just looked at these fora:

Saintsweb - very little on cancelling this season or not. Mid table indifference?
BBS and Holmesdale - a microscopic amount of posts compared to NSC on the subject, but one quote stood out for me - “A bunch of clubs in the relegation mix in the PL being let off the prospect of relegation is completely unfair, knowing they could all go from strength to strength, learn from previous mistakes etc with impunity”.
Norwich (pinkun) - surprisingly not much, but there was talk of a behind closed doors bottom 6 relegation play offs including us.

Staggeringly unfair. Probably the worst idea yet. No credit whatsoever given to the 29 proper football games already played by teams. No wonder Norwich ( -27 goal difference ) want to bin everything so far.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

There's no love lost between those clubs at the best of times!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Staggeringly unfair. Probably the worst idea yet. No credit whatsoever given to the the 29 proper football games already played by teams. No wonder Norwich want to bin everything so far.

Yes. Absolute bollocks and will never happen.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Understood, but I just think this rush to get football restarted is obscene, with what's going on at present..

Can you imagine the news, "so, today's death figures are 500 - and here's tonight's football results" - ok, so it might not happen quite like that, and maybe I'm a little too close to this to have a rational opinion, but quite frankly I think the whole desperate need to get football back stinks!

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey

Sorry if I added to your annoyance but firstly it is all about money, many on here have been furloughed taking pay cuts of a minimum of 20% and in some cases a lot more. Players rightly or wrongly who earn a shed load more than anyone I know don't appear to be realistic enough to take the cuts required to save their employers from potential bankruptcy meaning clubs have little to no option but to complete the season in such an unsatisfactory fashion to fulfil the Sky Contract hence obtaining full reimbursement from Sky.
Is anyone listening to the opinions of fans who in general want the season finished and concentrate on saving lives and forget about this obsession of playing football behind closed doors on neutral venues, which in itself it ridiculous as it doesn't mirror what proceeded.
Maybe this is the right time for football to look at itself and say it simply can't continue running as it is and start to run clubs like the local coffee shop or pub landlord who look to make profits and not run at a loss. How many clubs have a rainy day fund despite the vast income, boom bust and a reliance on TV funding have meant football can be bullied by the deep pockets of Sky. Sorry but it's simply all about money and two fingers to the fans who they don't give a toss about.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Understood, but I just think this rush to get football restarted is obscene, with what's going on at present..

Can you imagine the news, "so, today's death figures are 500 - and here's tonight's football results" - ok, so it might not happen quite like that, and maybe I'm a little too close to this to have a rational opinion, but quite frankly I think the whole desperate need to get football back stinks!

EFL already been in touch with the government about using testing capacity Iso that’s 25,000 tests completed today including front line key workers oh and some footballers

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

I don't think they can really go ahead while the figures are as high as 500 per day. Perhaps if it falls to double digits, and only if there is spare testing capacity available - certainly not when the testing website keeps 'selling out' within the first hour of each day.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I don't think they can really go ahead while the figures are as high as 500 per day. Perhaps if it falls to double digits, and only if there is spare testing capacity available - certainly not when the testing website keeps 'selling out' within the first hour of each day.

What is an acceptable number of dead people?

How can the government advice be to social distance at 2 metres apart, yet some are clamouring for a return to a contact sport asap?

None of it makes sense...!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here