Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A bit too complex for the simpletons at the FA/PL, sadly.

Plus, UEFA, FIFA, the Football League, and most of the world's football associations are going to have to agree.

Unprecedented levels of co-operation will be required.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ok, the 6 months of lockdown wasn't quite accurate on my part, but I'm guessing social distancing will still be around in some form by that stage, which would make a contact sport like football a no go, surely!

Without going back through the whole thread to see if it has already been mentioned, maybe this is the answer...

View attachment 121584

I see it works for Wilfried.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

too complex for everyone. the various authorities will settle on the simpliest, least impacting outcome, not have years of muddle.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ridiculously too complex for many more reasons than that. When football starts again, it needs to start with a clean sheet, not trying to clear up little bits of this and that all over the place, making season after season rubbish.
That's why this season can and must - and ultimately will - be scrapped; voided. Unfair on a few? So is coronavirus. Tough.

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
too complex for everyone. the various authorities will settle on the simpliest, least impacting outcome, not have years of muddle.

Time will tell, but my view is that while simplicity might hold allure for the average football fan, it's right at the bottom of the list of criteria for football administrators. They will prioritise two things.

1) They want all the games that were due to be played to be played however late this happens (for obvious financial reasons of gate receipts, TV deals, sponsorship etc)
2) To avoid being mired in endless lawsuits with the potential for catastrophic financial losses.

What you also have to remember is than a huge number of separate governing organisations are going to have to agree whatever plan comes off. And they are all competing with each other. I just cannot imagine the Football league, the Premier League and all the other national associations agreeing to cancel the last 9 games. The financial losses would be too great.

If scheduling problems are booted down the road, you and me might care, but the FA, Premier League, UEFA, FIFA, won't.

Remember, fans care about sensible scheduling, competition integrity and tradition. Administrators don't

To me, voiding is inconceivable. I could be proved wrong

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Here's what I would do.

I'm working on the basis of my prediction that football won't get back on for about a year from now.

The key principles are .....

1) Finish the 2019/20 season
2) Play all games the next season and following seasons

April and May 2021 = Finish 2019/20 season
June 2021 = Euros
July 2021 to Feb 2022 = play 2020/21 season
April 2022 to October 2022 = play 2021/22 season
December 2022 World Cup
Feb 2023 to Sept 2023 = play 2022/23 season
Nov 2023 to June 2024 = play 2023/24 season
August 2025 = Start season as normal

It will need 4 x six to seven month seasons. The sacrifices are

1) International friendlies / Nations League / tournament qualifiers
2) Domestic Cup competitions (FA Cup to be u23 only for a couple of years)
3) Europa League
4) 3 month summer breaks / winter breaks will go

Things to bear in mind.

1) We can schedule in lots of games in a short period, but player welfare is a consideration. Possible that there is some enforced squad rotation, (eg every player gets a 4th game off) to deal with the fixture pile up
2) We need to make it up to the FA Cup in a big way when we get out of this
3) We need games to be played when people can be there if at all possible
4) Tournament qualification should be done on the basis of ranking, up until we can get qualifiers back for euro 2026
5) We can't be precious about playing football through the summer for a few years
6) Minor competitions were mostly teetering on the brink of existence anyway and are now officially dead
7) As I said in a previous post, don't worry too much, if a few players have contracts up until a particular month. Even if they were to transfer to a rival club, this can in theory happen in January at the moment anyway

Absolute pie in the sky.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Depends on the length of the lockdown. If it really does on for six months, then there'll be no option but voiding the season. The other option would be to void the next season and that's no option.
IMO, if they can start playing again by mid-July, I reckon they'll complete the season. Any later and it will be voided.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Time will tell, but my view is that while simplicity might hold allure for the average football fan, it's right at the bottom of the list of criteria for football administrators. They will prioritise two things.

1) They want all the games that were due to be played to be played however late this happens (for obvious financial reasons of gate receipts, TV deals, sponsorship etc)
2) To avoid being mired in endless lawsuits with the potential for catastrophic financial losses.

What you also have to remember is than a huge number of separate governing organisations are going to have to agree whatever plan comes off. And they are all competing with each other. I just cannot imagine the Football league, the Premier League and all the other national associations agreeing to cancel the last 9 games. The financial losses would be too great.

If scheduling problems are booted down the road, you and me might care, but the FA, Premier League, UEFA, FIFA, won't.

Remember, fans care about sensible scheduling, competition integrity and tradition. Administrators don't

What makes you say that the organisations are competing against each other.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The simplest solution will be the one that happens in the end.

A deal will be done with the TV companies to give them extra free games over the next season or so to compensate for any lost this season.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Not sure what the rush to finish this season is apart of a TV Deadline in mid July which the companies are not going to push through.
More importantly the TV companies certainly do not want next season starting with closed stadiums, although they accept that this current season will only get finished that way (behind closed doors July/Aug).

Therefore next season will be truncated with more evening games so they can finish for Euro 2021.
All International breaks will be cancelled and Uefa with have to forgo their rule that no games can be played during the Champions League weeks.
Can also see Premiership teams opting out of the Carbaro Cup and the FA Cup becomes sudden death (no replies/extra time) and if level after 90 mins, straight to penalties.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Complete this season and void or truncate next season.

It's madness not to complete this one and if done will lead to chaos and multi lawsuits being issued.

bigE

Dec 8, 2009
How to finish the season

I don't know if it's been suggested before but my idea to what I see as a good as can be solution to this season is as follows
The season 19/20 is frozen for now,hopefully the new 20/21 season starts as normal and runs to the end of the season as normal and champions and relegation as usual.
The unplayed games In the 19/20 season are given the points as per the corresponding games of the 20/21 season and that table would continue to run until the end of the season whereby the champion would be crowned ( which would be Liverpool ) and the relegation would also apply,now as there are two tables running side by side it's possible that (example) Norwich are relegated in the 19/20 table but aren't in the 20/21 table
They would still be relegated alongside the second bottom team ,so two teams are relegated from each season and two teams are champions/ promoted if there is a tie a play off could be played,this could work for all the divisions I think,hopefully I've explained it ok ,what do you think

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I don't know if it's been suggested before but my idea to what I see as a good as can be solution to this season is as follows
The season 19/20 is frozen for now,hopefully the new 20/21 season starts as normal and runs to the end of the season as normal and champions and relegation as usual.
The unplayed games In the 19/20 season are given the points as per the corresponding games of the 20/21 season and that table would continue to run until the end of the season whereby the champion would be crowned ( which would be Liverpool ) and the relegation would also apply,now as there are two tables running side by side it's possible that (example) Norwich are relegated in the 19/20 table but aren't in the 20/21 table
They would still be relegated alongside the second bottom team ,so two teams are relegated from each season and two teams are champions/ promoted if there is a tie a play off could be played,this could work for all the divisions I think,hopefully I've explained it ok ,what do you think

I think you should stay off the booze.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

What the hell is this?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The longer this goes on, the less likely it is that the season will be completed. It cannot be put off indefinitely at the cost of next season, at some point a line will have to be drawn and acceptance that the pandemic has put paid to any practical solution of completing this season.

It'll have to be voided. There will be winners and losers, clubs that benefit from a reprieve and clubs who miss out, but the crucial (and fortunate) aspect is that at the point the season was stopped, NOTHING in the League had been decided. Nobody had won promotion, nobody had been relegated, the season was still in flux. Therefore, the simplest and most straightforward way of moving forward is to keep the divisions intact, and begin the new season as it was in August last year.

As nobody would be relegated from the PL, then what would have been £120m of parachute payments to the 3 relegated clubs can instead be distributed between the EFL clubs to help them over this period.

I accept that there is one clear loser in all this - Liverpool.

Oh well.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
:facepalm:

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
They’ll never get this season finished they’ll be a dozen or so teams/fans royally pissed off (hard luck) then we start next season as best we can play twice a week more often and let sky bt do what they do with the championship with games on the red button

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Is this a competition to suggest the most complex and convoluted solution? Where's [MENTION=153]perseus[/MENTION] when you need him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here