Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The sensible thing to do (probably been mentioned many times) would be to award Liverpool the title, no relegation from all divisions, first two to be promoted from each league resulting in 22 in the Prem....to be reduced over the next 2 years.

However

If they voided the season now and Liverpool weren't awarded the title and Leeds didn't get promoted.....I will laugh my fecking ar$e off for the rest of my life. It'll never happen though.

Why do Leeds and WBA get special dispensation to get promoted yet you don't think the bottom two should go down?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Whatever happens that is going to be the case. With the scenario I suggested at least there would be some games next season which could help keep clubs afloat. I can't see any way we can finish this season and then have a full season of football next year. Many clubs, like many businesses, will go to the wall, unless there is help from the government to save them.

I really don't understand a statement like this.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
ps Reading posts above - binning the current season now solves nothing. Psychologically it would be like deciding to amputate someone's injured foot without taking the time and trouble to see if it can be saved, on the grounds of 'simplicity'. I'd call that simple-mindedness.

Sorry that is a terrible analogy. It would only work if, after amputating the foot, it can grow back next season.

What exactly are you trying to solve by playing on? All I see is romantic guff about Liverpool becoming a Premier League winner at long last. That's the only thing people are trying to solve and does that really matter?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not his greatest fan, but Simon Jordan is suggesting on the radio that IF this season is declared null and void, then for starters the PL should take what would have been the parachute payments given to the 3 relegated clubs this season, and spread it between all the EFL clubs to help them through this period. It wouldn't "cost" them anything as that money was already earmarked anyway.

They award about £90m over the course of 3 years to each club in parachute payments (£40m the 1st year, £35m the 2nd year, £15m the 3rd year). Thats an initial 1st year £120m that could be made available and split between the EFL.

Would never happen though, would it.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
The sensible thing to do (probably been mentioned many times) would be to award Liverpool the title, no relegation from all divisions, first two to be promoted from each league resulting in 22 in the Prem....to be reduced over the next 2 years.

However

If they voided the season now and Liverpool weren't awarded the title and Leeds didn't get promoted.....I will laugh my fecking ar$e off for the rest of my life. It'll never happen though.

Leeds can easily be caught by Fulham, Brentford. and Forest.......NO WAY should leeds be promoted.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This is the one scenario that guarantees legal action without a doubt.

If you just null and void then most cases would be thrown out of court because of the nature of the world. But to give teams promotion when they haven’t finished the season will create more issues. For example how can you protect the teams in the bottom 3 of the PL because they aren’t mathematically relegated but yet promote teams who aren’t actually promoted. Fulham and other teams would have a field day with legal teams enough to certainly stop any football starting until it is resolved.

The two options are a simple null and void or a wait until it can be completed.

I take your point, certainly in the case of promoting the Baggies, and Dirty Leeds FC, but l would suggest that however the outcome of the season is worked out, legal actions are going to be flying in from every conceivable angle anyway.from various clubs that have missed out in some way or other, (Liverpool being a case in point).

Quite simply, there is no 'right way' of deciding what will happen.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry that is a terrible analogy. It would only work if, after amputating the foot, it can grow back next season.

What exactly are you trying to solve by playing on? All I see is romantic guff about Liverpool becoming a Premier League winner at long last. That's the only thing people are trying to solve and does that really matter?

No, that's the whole point of the analogy. You can't grow it back later if you cut it off. Some people want to 'cut off' this season now. Bin it. I say there is no need to bin it, yet. That means it remains salvable. You cut it off only when it can't be saved. I'll give you an example of when that might be.

Imagine that the start of the next season is agreed, globally, to begin end of Jan 2021. Let's imagine we get to September and it is still too dangerous to restart the current season. At some point the decision will have to be made to cut off the foot and bin 2019-20 (by bin I mean null and void it, although if they want to Duckworth Lewis the missing games and give Liverpool the title, that's another discussion).

At some point a decision will have to be made. But not yet.

A damned fine analogy, if you don't miny my saying so, sir. :wink:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No, that's the whole point of the analogy. You can't grow it back later if you cut it off. Some people want to 'cut off' this season now. Bin it. I say there is no need to bin it, yet. That means it remains salvable. You cut it off only when it can't be saved. I'll give you an example of when that might be.

Imagine that the start of the next season is agreed, globally, to begin end of Jan 2021. Let's imagine we get to September and it is still too dangerous to restart the current season. At some point the decision will have to be made to cut off the foot and bin 2019-20 (by bin I mean null and void it, although if they want to Duckworth Lewis the missing games and give Liverpool the title, that's another discussion).

At some point a decision will have to be made. But not yet.

A damned fine analogy, if you don't miny my saying so, sir. :wink:

The point is there is no way this season will be completed before even the end of July. If that's accepted then the plans should be for next season and what form that will be depending on when they get the go ahead.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The point is there is no way this season will be completed before even the end of July. If that's accepted then the plans should be for next season and what form that will be depending on when they get the go ahead.

That may be your point but it has nothing to do with what I posted and doesn't make my analogy false, and certainly not for the reason you gave. Apart from that, spot on.
:facepalm:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The news just reported Social Distancing potentially for six months. I would presume no attended matches until October at the earliest.
Players can't go within 2 meters of each other while at work and on the pitch ?

VAR could check it with cards being dished out for every offence ? ??? Lol

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Players can't go within 2 meters of each other while at work and on the pitch ?

This shouldn’t affect Webster’s game too much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here