Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You speak with certainty which I don't really think is backed up by scientific fact, or quantifiable proof. Maybe you're right in full, maybe in part but maybe not at all.

Exponential curves start with very small numbers, but ramp up to big numbers. It was only a few weeks ago "we only have X cases" and "only Y people have died".

This virus spreads from person to person, with each person infecting, on average, c2.5 more people. When people spend time in confined spaces with others, breathing in the same air as each other, such as on packed trains, on busy concourses or waiting 5 deep in the bogs to have a piss, the likelihood of spread is greater, hence all the social distancing measures we have in place now.

So, of course, I have no proof that at a specific Albion game some weeks ago, the virus was spread, and I'm not even suggesting it was. However, on aggregate, the actions of the entire UK population at that time WAS spreading the virus which is why we are where we are now. Maybe a few people had it at the Palace game and spread it. Maybe they didn't. It doesn't matter really, as the overall spread from then to now is abundantly clear to everyone.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Well, exactly that, you start next season that rules and regulations will evolve during the season, that rules about attendance may change as the season progresses, or suddenly stricter measures come into play. You then have contingency rules in place for neutral venues, breaks in the season, awarding of points in the event the season cannot be finished. I'm not saying it won't be problematic, but it will be set out and we will all know next season may well be unfair and all over the shop (like VAR this season!!??) but at least it will be set out for the season.

OK fair enough, still seems folly to me that we start a full new season with no idea if it can be completed, whether it may need to be temporarily paused, whether some or all sides will have the opportunity to play differing amounts of games at home and/or in front of a crowd, but we know all that up front ibeing not compromised and fairer than all clubs playing the final quarter of this season of this season behind closed doors under the same conditions because they didn't know this would be the case last August when it started.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I know it will help my mental health if I know Brighton aren't going to suffer relegation to the Championship.
It would be one less thing to worry about in these stressful times.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well, exactly that, you start next season that rules and regulations will evolve during the season, that rules about attendance may change as the season progresses, or suddenly stricter measures come into play. You then have contingency rules in place for neutral venues, breaks in the season, awarding of points in the event the season cannot be finished. I'm not saying it won't be problematic, but it will be set out and we will all know next season may well be unfair and all over the shop (like VAR this season!!??) but at least it will be set out for the season.

I think this is exactly what will happen - rolling/flexible degrees of lockdown depending on numbers, NHS capacity, vaccination development and application etc. Games scheduled but subject to fairly short notice behind closed doors decisions in line with the flexible lockdown programme.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
From a personal perspective as one of the 70+ group I doubt I will be able to attend any match for many months to come even if I thought I wanted to which is doubtful anyway.

I am not sure how many 70yr old supporters, season ticket holders and 1901 members included, realise that they won't be able to watch the Albion this season, next season or perhaps even until 2022.

It all depends on the vaccine.

Jimmy Grimble

OK fair enough, still seems folly to me that we start a full new season with no idea if it can be completed, whether it may need to be temporarily paused, whether some or all sides will have the opportunity to play differing amounts of games at home and/or in front of a crowd, but we know all that up front ibeing not compromised and fairer than all clubs playing the final quarter of this season of this season behind closed doors under the same conditions because they didn't know this would be the case last August when it started.

‘No idea if it can be completed’ - you can say that about any future season now (or the remaining games if you wish), not a good enough reason to not start a new season is it?

‘Whether it may need to be paused’ - won’t be an issue as arrangements will have been made that clubs are happy with.

‘Differing amounts of games in front of crowds’ - again, won’t be an issue as systems will have been agreed that clubs are happy with.

I don’t think it’s folly - if you enter a sporting competition, the systems in play at the beginning need to be consistent throughout.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
‘No idea if it can be completed’ - you can say that about any future season now (or the remaining games if you wish), not a good enough reason to not start a new season is it?

‘Whether it may need to be paused’ - won’t be an issue as arrangements will have been made that clubs are happy with.

‘Differing amounts of games in front of crowds’ - again, won’t be an issue as systems will have been agreed that clubs are happy with.

I don’t think it’s folly - if you enter a sporting competition, the systems in play at the beginning need to be consistent throughout.

They won't though next season that is almost certain, we will start behind closed doors but there is a good chance that come the latter stages we may begin to see crowds at games, but it may be that some get to play home games in front of crowds and other behind closed doors or at neutral venues, given these will be games that could ultimately decide champions, relegation etc I'd say the integrity of that season is in far more question than that of this season whereby at this point every team has played give or take a game the same number of home and away games and all will know that all of the remaining games are played behind closed doors. Even if clubs knew at the start of this season there would be a significant pause and then the season would be finished behind close doors the status of the table at this stage would be fundamentally the same as it is now.

If clubs are happy with these more significant variables over the next full season I can't see why they wouldn't be happy with the lesser variable of playing remaining games of the current season behind closed doors unless serving their own interests with respect of their current league position.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

A lot less folly than not starting it! Yes, it might well be a peculiar one - but if that's catered for in the pre-season rules, that's as good as it can be.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A lot less folly than not starting it! Yes, it might well be a peculiar one - but if that's catered for in the pre-season rules, that's as good as it can be.

We should start it absolutely, once this season has been finished with, and given those are the likely conditions next season are played under there is no reason why this current season can't be finished behind closed doors first instead of nulled and voided.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
So the PL will be completed - no time limit specified.

Premier League clubs remain committed to finishing the 92 remaining fixtures of the current season but did not discuss a deadline by which play must resume at a meeting on Friday.

Clubs were expected to debate a 30 June deadline to resume play but instead discussed "possible scheduling models".

The Premier League said it "remains our objective" to complete matches but currently "all dates are tentative".

The league has been suspended since 13 March due to the coronavirus pandemic.

It is understood some clubs expected to discuss the proposed 30 June deadline at Friday's meeting but it was decided now was not the right time to do so.

"In common with other businesses and industries, the Premier League and our clubs are working through complex planning scenarios," the Premier League said.

"We are actively engaging with stakeholders, including broadcast partners, and our aim is to ensure we are in a position to resume playing when it is safe to do so and with the full support of the government. The health and wellbeing of players, coaches, managers, club staff and supporters are our priority and the League will only restart when medical guidance allows.

"Today's shareholders' meeting provided an opportunity to discuss possible scheduling models. It remains our objective to complete the 2019-20 season but at this stage all dates are tentative while the impact of Covid-19 develops."

So, IMO the remainder of this season will be behind closed doors

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I really don’t want it to be completed behind closed doors, destroys the integrity of it and that will put me off ever going again.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If clubs are happy with these more significant variables over the next full season I can't see why they wouldn't be happy with the lesser variable of playing remaining games of the current season behind closed doors unless serving their own interests with respect of their current league position.

I'm sure they're not happy with the variables, but there isn't any choice for next season. There is clearly a choice of how to finish this season.

It's just sport after all. If you want a result and that is all that matters, there are clearly any number of ways of finishing this season. Average points per games, play out games behind closed doors, draw lots etc. etc. take your pick, if an outcome is all you want, you can easily get one, that really isn't the issue. The issue is whether the decision to relegate, promote award titles has integrity to the competition, to shaping next season etc. or simply contrived just to come up with an outcome?

Jimmy Grimble

They won't though next season that is almost certain, we will start behind closed doors but there is a good chance that come the latter stages we may begin to see crowds at games, but it may be that some get to play home games in front of crowds and other behind closed doors or at neutral venues, given these will be games that could ultimately decide champions, relegation etc I'd say the integrity of that season is in far more question than that of this season whereby at this point every team has played give or take a game the same number of home and away games and all will know that all of the remaining games are played behind closed doors. Even if clubs knew at the start of this season there would be a significant pause and then the season would be finished behind close doors the status of the table at this stage would be fundamentally the same as it is now.

The point is if it’s all agreed to at the start of a season then there can be no grievances.

At this point there will be cause for grievances and complaints, especially when player contracts are factored in and the idea of cramming games in which will favour those who are able to rotate their sides without much weakening. In a fresh season these issues can be combatted against by putting rules/systems in place.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so they resolved nothing today? :rolleyes:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'm sure they're not happy with the variables, but there isn't any choice for next season. There is clearly a choice of how to finish this season.

It's just sport after all. If you want a result and that is all that matters, there are clearly any number of ways of finishing this season. Average points per games, play out games behind closed doors, draw lots etc. etc. take your pick, if an outcome is all you want, you can easily get one, that really isn't the issue. The issue is whether the decision to relegate, promote award titles has integrity to the competition, to shaping next season etc. or simply contrived just to come up with an outcome?
Of all these choices playing behindclosed doors is the least bad option to me, there are no good options. This enables every side to complete their full set of fixtures and when the season restarts thety will be aware of the conditions for the remaining games. It's not ideal but it's workable and means we can start next season with some resolution to the current season which has to be the aim. Also whilst it's only sport, sport is a big part of peoples lives and at a time of lockdown and bad news after bad news the return of football will be welcomed and at least provide people with an opportunity of the seedlings of a semblance of normality which can be no bad thing.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I really don’t want it to be completed behind closed doors, destroys the integrity of it and that will put me off ever going again.
Yes, the integrity is gone.

Which is why I'll pay no particular attention to the end of season mini-tournament.

If we go down - after not being in the relegation zone for any of the normal season - then I'll just feel very disappointed for Tony. It would be a cruel twist.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Of all these choices playing behindclosed doors is the least bad option to me, there are no good options. This enables every side to complete their full set of fixtures and when the season restarts thety will be aware of the conditions for the remaining games. It's not ideal but it's workable and means we can start next season with some resolution to the current season which has to be the aim. Also whilst it's only sport, sport is a big part of peoples lives and at a time of lockdown and bad news after bad news the return of football will be welcomed and at least provide people with an opportunity of the seedlings of a semblance of normality which can be no bad thing.

Agreed - it's simply the 'least worst' option. I'm expecting the PL to have have several fixture schedules to complete the games already prepared based on various start dates and will be triggered as soon as they are able..........if they go ahead all games will be without fans IMO.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Sounds like rather than bother with discussions someone just suggested issuing the same statement worded slightly differently

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Not a lot they can say at this point as we have no idea when lockdown will end. No point in communicating wishes for start dates at present.
Thing with all this ‘will’ to complete the season is that it is just that at present. When the reality hits and clubs start to raise issues around integrity of playing behind closed doors, fitting in games in a v tight schedule, for European places/ avoiding relegation, then the shitstorm will start.
All is being dealt with in a nice friendly manner at present because of the backdrop, but once the resumption is announced I can see all number of challenges by clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here